first road trip

Sir Nuke

Well to go along with the CRAPPY GAS MILEAGE thread....here is another.

I just took my first real road trip in one of the P-5's....we took my wifes and went up to visit my son at Boy Scout Summer Camp. it was 410 Miles round trip...and the little girl managed 31.4 MPG (US) the whole way up and back....

I am very pleased. :{D

she is now due for an oil change...and next week we are headed out on a 3800 mile round trip to the upper east coast.

thats pretty good milage in my book. I average at about the same 31.3-31.5 MPG on mine.

I did a round trip to Houston last month to get me a new set of BBS wheels for my Miata (450 miles each way) and averaged right at 32 mpg, running 75 - 80, with the A/C on. It wasn't that warm out, but it was rainy and muggy, and the A/C kept the windows clear, and us comfortable.

We're loading it up tomorrow for a round trip to the Seattle area (via Oklahoma City and Denver, 2750 miles each way) and we'll keep close track of the mileage.

We have a new grand baby in Oklahoma City which will require frequent visits, which is why we bought the car ;)

Don

I would like to know how you were able to manage that. I have to have some sort of problem. The BEST our P5 has seen was 23mpg US on a trip from Miami to Tampa. All intersate at about 75mph.

rodslinger said:
I would like to know how you were able to manage that. I have to have some sort of problem. The BEST our P5 has seen was 23mpg US on a trip from Miami to Tampa. All intersate at about 75mph.

MazdaSpeedGirly.....yeah you do! lol well I get around 25 to 27 when I am driving a combined to and from work and around town....I tend to run mine pretty hard through the corners...and an occasional burst to 90 or so out in the country is not all that uncommon....

Rodslinger.....ya got me....we had all my boys camping gear in the back....ran a steady 70 MPH....with the A/C on...and its been about 90 out here.....there is a whole thread about people that are getting crappy mileage....I guess I just got two of the good ones that meet up with the sticker averages.

rodslinger said:
The BEST our P5 has seen was 23mpg US on a trip from Miami to Tampa. All intersate at about 75mph.

Wow!!

I get lots better than that romping on it around town - Usually 350 miles to a 12.5 to 13 gallon fillup.

On the road, we ran ~400 miles on each tank, and filled (to the cap) with ~12.5 gallons.

Do you have an automatic, or the manual?

Don

My wife has an automatic P5 and we get great gas mileage when we go on trips. Hell even around town to and from work she can get at least a total of 350 mpg!!! My Mp3 is the same.

Sir Nuke said:
Well to go along with the CRAPPY GAS MILEAGE thread....here is another.

I just took my first real road trip in one of the P-5's....we took my wifes and went up to visit my son at Boy Scout Summer Camp. it was 410 Miles round trip...and the little girl managed 31.4 MPG (US) the whole way up and back....

Cool! I just got back from a trip from Jackson, MS to Knoxville, TN this weekend (roughly 500 miles one way). My average was 30.6 MPG on the way up, and on the way back at 32.7 MPG!!! On the way up I set the cruise at 78MPH, and on the way back I went 80MPH. I am very pleased with the results. My car is stock other than a K&N drop in, no intake resonator, and mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic. Normally, I wouldn't really worry about gas mileage that much, but since the P5 is my daily commuter, I think this is great!

well starting wednesday afternoon the REAL test starts....we are leaving on vacation and taking the wifes p-5....it will be loaded to the gills as it will be me, my wife, and two of our kids and I am sure the back will be PACKED to the top.....we are going from texas to new hampshire...about 1800 miles each way. oh what fun...being in a car with kids for 12 hours a day!!! lol

Sir Nuke said:
well starting wednesday afternoon the REAL test starts....we are leaving on vacation and taking the wifes p-5....it will be loaded to the gills as it will be me, my wife, and two of our kids and I am sure the back will be PACKED to the top.....we are going from texas to new hampshire...about 1800 miles each way. oh what fun...being in a car with kids for 12 hours a day!!! lol

Crush up some benadryl and put it in their drinks or something right before you leave... lol. That is one hell of a road trip! Good luck!

fastdrvr23 said:

Crush up some benadryl and put it in their drinks or something right before you leave... lol. That is one hell of a road trip! Good luck!

thanks....I may need it....I will certainly be taking along ear plugs... lol

Just did Biloxi MS to Oklahoma City today - 800 miles, one gas stop (in Shreveprort LA) and used 25.2 gallons total (31.75 MPG)

The car was as loaded as we could get it - Back seats down, and boxes of goodies everwhere. Maintained ~75 mph for 95% of the trip, and ran the A/C the whole way.

This kind of "backs up" my mileage on the previous trip to Houston. Needless to say - VERY happy to get near 32 mpg on a car loaded, driving 75 and running the A/C :D

Don

Good Luck

Have fun on vacation sirNuke. The board won't be the same without you. At least we can welcome new members in typical Nuke fashin since we can find you welcome letter just about anywhere around here. :)

couple_on_vacation_md_wht.gif

SirNuke and his family as they leave Texas

Last edited:
Re: Good Luck

OurP5 said:
Have fun on vacation sirNuke. The board won't be the same without you. At least we can welcome new members in typical Nuke fashin since we can find you welcome letter just about anywhere around her. :)

couple_on_vacation_md_wht.gif

SirNuke and his family as they leave Texas

well dude....I won't be totally out of pocket....lol once I get to my sis in laws house I will pop in from time to time...as she is on line....

ahhh cute pic...but that ain't me...the wifes P-5 is BLACK!! LOL

ahhh cute pic...but that ain't me...the wifes P-5 is BLACK!!

Cut me some slack. I couldn't find and animated .gif file with a black P5! :D

Oh well, drive safe no matter what color it is.

OurP5 said:

Cut me some slack. I couldn't find and animated .gif file with a black P5! :D

Oh well, drive safe no matter what color it is.

thanks...I will...now all I have to do is get all the WACKO'S on the road to drive line normal people too and I will be all set!! lol

Back