Block Heater

Not an answer, but an alternative; Check out 110v heater pads that "glue" on to your oil pan with silicone. Sorry I don't have the web sites that sell them, but gotta post and run. My Wisconsin winter experience with heater pads was very positive-Instant starts at minus 29 after all night plug-in. I presume heat rising warmed the block also. Bonus-it can't leak or blow out, and it's very easy to install. Will try to re-post later with sites if my day isn't too crazy

its easy, all you have to do is drain the coolant, remove a plug insert the heater, refill the coolant and run a couple wires... oh yeah and don't pay full price at the dealership for it, go printout the page at www.mazdastuff.com and try to get the dealership to lower their price on it. it saved me $20 for 5 minutes of work :D

Here's a follow-up for alternatives/oil pan heater pads. Found listings from J.C. Whitney, Moroso, Summit Racing, NAPA, Wolverine, and ProHeat. Various dimensions and wattages listed. My experience was with an '86 Golf with hard-to-get-to freeze plugs, and I didn't trust that POS to not spit a plug.

Back