exhaust size

we have danm near 2.25 inch for our piping. The general concensus id 2.5 inch is good for the power our cars are capable of making.

-B

jaymode said:
i thought 3 inch would give us more top end power especially with boost above 15psi?

From the man Corky bell himself, his book states that 2.5 in. is sufficent up to and above 400 HP.

Now i dont know how accurate that is, but i know it is a general rule of thumb that turbos do not like backpressure. I went with 3inch and am not disappointed.

I know many if not all turbo cars should significantly higher HP numbers when the downpipe is either open or off and no exhaust is present.

Bigger isnt worse. It just leaves you room to make more HP and not worry about changing your exhaust.

Larger diameter piping is good for high HP applications. If you are just putting an exhaust on your msp and do not plan on doing many mods i would go with 2.5 in. If you are gonna up the boost in the future to > 15 psi then go for 3in.

-B

MazdaSpeedTurbo said:
have fun running 15 lbvs only very little time to run 15 if on stock internals nubbed!
hehe...when i go run i open my cut-out which is right after the downpipe. i love the gains and wouldnt trade it for a cat-back....cheap and very effective. plus you can go from quiet to low growl in a 2 secs.

I plan on going 2.5" back all of the way...with one high-flow cat and a somewhat mild muffler....I don't want it to be too loud, plus I don't plan on boosting that high in the future.

Even an upgrade to 2.5" will net you significant gains.

my stock exhaust is in 3 pieces right now. the ID of the piping ranged from approximately:

1 11/16 - 2 3/8 inches = 1.6875" - 2.375" = 42.8625 mm - 60.325 mm

i posted that info a while back. i measured those with a standard tape measure.

Back