Battery relocation... new battery?

PaulMP3

Contributor
:
Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71
My battery is starting to crap out on me... i would like to relocate the batttery to the trunk, but for the winter just keep it in the stock place... Can someone recomend a battery for me that will fit in stock location, but will be good/safe to relocate to the trunk. I probally will relocate this spring when i dont mind working outside.

I got a Optima red top in mine. A little higher CCA and just about the same size as the battery box, just 1" shorter in height. I don't remember which one it is though.

Do you know if anyone makes a relo kit for our cars? It would be nice to get everything ran with a good looking battery box for the trunk.

Last edited:
If you go with an optima battery you don't have to worry about acid. It's a sealed gel battery. I'm using the Optima red top group 34/78 which I only had to trim a little off of the tray to use. Like was said, it's about 3/4" to an 1" short, but a spacer piece worked for me.

I use the yellow top battery, same thing as the red just can support more of a drain...not to mention it matches my blue/yellow color scheme

Cool thanks for the info- I think I will go with the relo kit though, I don't like having exposed terminals.

where can i find a yellow top or red top battery.

which is the best one?

Depends on what you want to do with it...if you just want a starter battery the red top is the way to go...it's also like 30$ less! The yellow top is a deep cycle that runs at a higher nominal voltage, costs a bit more, and has fewer CCA (by about 50-100). But is you have a stereo system in the car it's the better choice I think...either way both are good. You want to make sure you get the group 34/78 (it think that's the one) as it has the most CCA for the normal red and yellow tops. you can pick them up at pep boys, autozone, advace auto, etc.

--EDIT--
Note...the red top is good for a car w/ a system as well, just the yellow top is a little better for larger systems.

make the engine bay less cluttered. give me some room for some future plans...(sssh)

Brian MP5T said:
I have a yellow top in the trunk. Why would you want to change it seasonally??

Its to damn cold to work outside now... so i figured i'd leave it in the stock location untill nice weather came along and i could enjoy working outside on my car. Once it is in the trunk, it will stay there.:D

^^^^ Why? My battery is in the trunk because I do not have the room for it. It's a major pain in the ass. Are you trying to make a Front Trunk in your car for lunch or when you go shopping? Because your trunk will soon become full. I had to manufacture a special bracket to hold it because the floor under the carpet is that crappy woodboard. Don't bother man.

Later...Brian

My personal reason for wanting to relocate the battery is to go from a 60/40 weight distribution to closer to a 50/50

If you run that fat power all the way to the rear becareful where you route you reds. Your gonna have to run all your speaker wire, grounds, and any other signal related wires on the opposite side of the car or you'll end up with major interferance. Sounds like to much of a hassle for 10 lbs weight distrobution. May be easier just to lose the AC, power stearing, and passenger seat. :) Just kiddin. Good luck!

I don't know much about electronics, but what about all the stuff that's hooked up to the battery? Is most of that just grounding that can be routed anywhere or are you going to have to relocate a bunch of wires back to the trunk as well? :confused:

You want to ground a component as close as possible. IE: If you got an amp...you don't wanna run a ground all the way back up front...find a solid ground in the trunk. SO ground appropriately. I don't know much about grounding car harness...you may want to take the whole thing back to the trunk. Keep asking. But as for your power...just make sure your not running your signals anywhere near your power.

IF you relocate the battery, never plan on using an amp for the full range speakers in your car as you will have an assload of noise. The battery is the first thing inline with the alternator becuase it removes the remaining ripple the rectifier bridge doesn't totaly filter. Without a battery in the front, the entire wire run to the trunk becomes a GIANT noise producer and it gets into everything.

Can you tell I went down this road before :D ?

shinzen said:
My personal reason for wanting to relocate the battery is to go from a 60/40 weight distribution to closer to a 50/50

2700 Lb Car....23Lb Battery. I really don't think you are thinking with the big picture in mind. Also, the battery vents gasses into the car...The wiring has to be fused all over to prevent a fire...the car starts slower because your starter is 10 feet from the power source... Need I continue.

Not a flame...just a reality check. I could see putting a second one in the trunk for the stereo or something, but 50/50 ??

Back