1.5 ZL-VE J-spec engine?

Yello-MP3

Can anyone give me any info about it? I did some searches and didn't find much. I did find out it was a 1.5l that has VVT. This engine might could be worth while if it could be uped to maybe a 1.6 or even 1.8 and turboed. It could be a possible boost monster. Well if anyone has any info please share.

this will not bolt into any recent FP-DE or FS-DE powered protege. the only thing that will take it is i believe a protege already with a 1.6 or 1.5L motor.

1.5 ZL-DE J-spec is here.

Engine Type : ZL-VE 1.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4
Max Power (ps) : 130 @ 7000
Max Power (hp) : 128 @ 7000
Max Torque (N-m) : 141 @ 4000
Displacement (cc) : 1498
Displacement (cubic inches) : 91.4
Bore x Stroke (mm) : 78.0 x 78.4
Bore x Stroke (cubic inches) : 3.07 x 3.09
Compression Ratio : 9.4:1

Mazda's ZL-VE VVT is called S-VT in Japan.

It's nice feeling engine. However, performance isn't so good...

And it will be almost impossible to exchange 2L(FP,FS) and 1.5L(ZL).

Ref.Data : J-spec FS-ZE(2L)('99-01 spec)

Engine Type : FS-ZE 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4
Max Power (ps) : 170 @ 6800
Max Power (hp) : 168 @ 6800
Max Torque (N-m) : 180 @ 5000
Displacement (cc) : 1991
Displacement (cubic inches) : 121.5
Bore x Stroke (mm) : 83.0 x 92.0
Bore x Stroke (cubic inches) : 3.27 x 3.62
Compression Ratio : 10.4:1

the ZL S-VT head bolts right up to the U.S. 1.6L engines from what I remember, and the Miata boards have all kinds of info on controlling the valve timing...But exactly that, it won't be easy or worth while for any cars with the bigger engines already...

Thanks

Thanks alot for the quick replys. I still think it would be worth while for the idea that u could probably boost the ever living hell outa the little thing and also have vvt and a very revy lil engine. Maybe hard but maybe worth it i'm still reading up on it. If u find anymore info please hit me up. How about the new 2.3l in the MZ3 S and the MZ6 i? Thats VVT too and could be another possibility. There isn't too much info on it yet nor aftermarket. What tranny is the MZ3 using and is it stronger than ours? Whats the power curve look like when the VVT kicks in and at what rpm does it come in. Is it a smooth power band or is it like that of a honda where the car goes from 120-130 hp to like 160 when the cams roll over for vtec??? Thanks ahead of times for all the replys. Sorry for all the questions i am just curious. I ask because i love the feel of a honda and the new sr20de with its vvt but i want to have the feeling in my mazda with a mazda engine.
Thanks again,
Zane

maybe a 1.6L turbo kit thrown on this engine with a piggyback isntalled and engine management might be a killer combo.

The performance is pretty good for the displacement. Does it use the same size block as some of the larger engines (1.6, 1.8, 2.0)? If it uses a smaller block, the weight will be less on an engine that puts out numbers that aren't that much lower than a stock 2.0l. The compression is getting on the high side for boosting, but if the internals are strong and it's tuned right, you could probably run 4-5psi without a problem.

hmm.. thats a big difference compared to my 1.5L baby... maybe I should research this project as well.. and then research boosting it too... hmmm... fun!

ICHIGO said:
1.5 ZL-DE J-spec is here.

Engine Type : ZL-VE 1.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4
Max Power (ps) : 130 @ 7000
Max Power (hp) : 128 @ 7000
Max Torque (N-m) : 141 @ 4000
Displacement (cc) : 1498
Displacement (cubic inches) : 91.4
Bore x Stroke (mm) : 78.0 x 78.4
Bore x Stroke (cubic inches) : 3.07 x 3.09
Compression Ratio : 9.4:1

Mazda's ZL-VE VVT is called S-VT in Japan.

It's nice feeling engine. However, performance isn't so good...

And it will be almost impossible to exchange 2L(FP,FS) and 1.5L(ZL).

Ref.Data : J-spec FS-ZE(2L)('99-01 spec)

Engine Type : FS-ZE 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4
Max Power (ps) : 170 @ 6800
Max Power (hp) : 168 @ 6800
Max Torque (N-m) : 180 @ 5000
Displacement (cc) : 1991
Displacement (cubic inches) : 121.5
Bore x Stroke (mm) : 83.0 x 92.0
Bore x Stroke (cubic inches) : 3.27 x 3.62
Compression Ratio : 10.4:1

Needs moar torque.

even if it COULD swap in, it would totally not be worth it.

Why swap out a 2.0 or 1.8 for a 1.5? just for VVT?
IMO it isnt worth, yeah its a cool sound but if you swap the 1.5 in a new protege it'll prolly be slow as dirt, Even boosted. it'll be like swapping in a d15z1 (1.5l SOHC Vtec-e) in you 4 Door Civic. Not worth it.

I am curious, I have a 1.6l Protege, Will the Head Bolt Up to my engine... I would like to have VVT 1.6l ... i am sure corksport can hook me up too if it is a bolt on, with the 1.5l head, exhaust, intake...

If you're serious about boosting and making serious power, the only way to go is with the BP. On a stock engine, you're good for 350whp all day long(20-25psi). Build the bottom end, and you're good for 500-600whp. If you want to rev too, it's good for 7800 on the stock valvetrain, 9000 with upgrade valvetrain.

There are a couple of 2.3 drag cars making upwards of 1000hp, but that's the crazy s*** you see in magazines, with almost nothing stock. The advantage right now is for the BP, because of available aftermarket support(thank you Miata guys), but in a few years, I'm predicting the support for the 2.3 will be awesome, since it's in both the 3 and 6, and the Mazdaspeed6 is going to have a 280hp turbo version of the 2.3.

just to answer the question about swapping in the 1.5l ... the protege's like mine with the crappy 1.6l wont take any bigger engines ....

i think swapping it over just for variable valve timing is a waste of time. it wouldn't be worth it. take a lesson from the nissan guys that run the SR20DETs... when they want a serious built up motor they get rid of the variable timing anyway. it's easier for them to build and tune a non-variable timing engine.

Drackonn said:
just to answer the question about swapping in the 1.5l ... the protege's like mine with the crappy 1.6l wont take any bigger engines ....
With enough money, you could fit a big-block Chevy in your car.......

with enough money anything is possible ... and i dont know about anyone else but i really dont have any plans of ever swapping a big block chevy or such into any car, it defeats the purpose of tuning an import ... anyone can make a fast car by putting a v8 into a small car ...

Back