will a 15" steelie w/tire fit in spare tire well?

Mike R

Contributor
Anybody try putting a full size 15" spare in the spare tire location? I think it'll work, there is a bunch of foam that spaces the minispare up and there looks like enough diameter... but I don't have a full size tire/wheel to try it with.

Hmm, so the tire width was too much to have the cover sit flush? I have an 03.5 with the sub, so I have 1-1.5" more clearance. I'll have to measure it if goes above freezing sometime.

I have a set of 195/50/15s up in my attic, I will lay one in there tomorrow and see how it sits. Believe it or not, it is cold as a coal diggers ass down here too:D

Hey Mike, got bored and went up and got down one of my tires. After I tried I started looking,,and it seems to be as wide as the factory tire, maybe a little wider. the carpet ended up being as high as the trunk latch, angled upward. If you use a 15, you will have to use a hella skinny tire, like a 185/80 or something like that. Just the width of the wheel that causes the prob. I just throw one of my factory rims in the back when I go on a long road trip. Sorry:)

hmm, I was looking at a 195/55/15. Oh well. Still wouldn't be THAT bad. Thanks for braving the weather!

Wow that is cold! FL is a whopping 45 low.

Why not just take out the donut, fill that wheel well with tools or something, and shove a full sized spare in the rear cargo area for the winter?

Old thread...

I need cargo space. It's always full of stuff. Bikes, tools, parts, etc...I just keep a small compressor in the car anyway. Only used the minispare once. No big deal.

Back