policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

enry

Administrator
I think I am going to take the following policy in regards to completely off-topic "flamebait" threads. If I see the thread going down a dark alley which I deem non-productive to the board, society, or anything else, I will delete it.

It is by this policy that I've deleted recent threads by asianhottie. She is really testing my normal policy of non-interference, patience and coexistence with others.

Here are some things I look for when determining what to delete:
- one line responses
- no real thought put into post
- disrespect towards users
- no tolerance for other point of view

The rest of the staff stands behind me, and had it not been for me, would have long since taken far more stringent action.

If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know.

I disagree I think asian was having a relavent topic and I know alot of peole feel the way she does. It was just a discussion, I didn't see any harm in it.

1st MP3 in NH said:
I disagree I think asian was having a relavent topic and I know alot of peole feel the way she does. It was just a discussion, I didn't see any harm in it.
It is a fine line. Administrators (I know, I am one) have to bridge the gap between freedom and abuse. Enry is using sound judgement.

Syzygy said:

It is a fine line. Administrators (I know, I am one) have to bridge the gap between freedom and abuse. Enry is using sound judgement.

I agree. Whatever Enry decides to do, he has my full support. Glad he's back and in charge!

enry said:
If I see the thread going down a dark alley which I deem non-productive to the board, society, or anything else, I will delete it.

As a former Mod @ a Mustang board.. I see a problem with your statement above. As tiring as it may be @ times whenever I see a newbie ask a question on here it seems a few people jump in & start search the topics or RTM comments. To me all those replies are wasted time & space, Isn't the purpose of this board to discuss matters & topics? Like her or not asian has sparked allot more replies & without a doubt increased the traffic on here.

I agree with the policy. I hope my metaphors are graphic:

Like your first day in prison, you have to break the nearest skull with a steel chair to get respect...

Kudos, Enry, on your decision. Asianhottie was a perfect example of diarrhea of the mouth (or should I say typing fingers). Her abrasive attitude and personal problems made any one of the threads unsafe. Some of her replies were distasteful at times. Save it for Springer.

I try to keep the one liners down and the off-topic cyber banter. (If I'm a happy drunk and logged in, sorry I can't help it). The one-liners tend to take up too much space, therefore, time and money. I think if you do away with the visable post counters on each user's reply, it would cut down on this. The post count lowers quality and increases quantity. It's getting to be status symbol *sob* I didn't even break the 100 post mark.

There is a decent well of information on the MP3/5 website. It only takes a few idiots to drop their 2 turds versus $.02.

Thank you Enry, Antoine, et al for all your hard work on the website.

I will stand by Enry/Antoine's decisions.

As I've mentioned previously tho, what I don't think is fair is other members regardless of who they are, flaming AH or any other member for no reason. She may have done questionable things, but it doesn't really mean we can all go into threads where she is being productive and just openly flame her.

That's my thoughts anyhow.

I was thinking of making an "ask asianhottie" forum. Kind of like a "dear abbie" forum. And I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I was actually thinking of this today. What do you think?

I don't think it's a good idea to give her a forum here...

First off, I just don't think this is the right place for it. There are places for her to go to say what she wants to say. She needs to find a morality board, or a philosophy board, or a psychiatry board.

Secondly, I don't want her to feel special enough to invite her "friends" and suddenly we aren't just a car board anymore... we're a car boared with a psycho-groupie faction that could care less about the flying-M. God forbid one of them accidently wander into the performance section. ;)

I do agree with your policy though... I feel that people who disagree with it don't see the beauty in it's flexibility. Much like the US Constitution, so much depends on the interpretation. I'm sure that you will use your best judgement when removing/deleting threads, and that's a tough job for a moderator, but also one that is necessary.

Now, to show that I support your policy, please go and delete the thread I started earlier.

enry said:
I was thinking of making an "ask asianhottie" forum. Kind of like a "dear abbie" forum. And I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I was actually thinking of this today. What do you think?
Sound like it has some great potential.

enry said:
I was thinking of making an "ask asianhottie" forum...(snip)...
So, let me get this straight:

We would ask asianhottie how we should live our lives?

Waitaminute! That already happens, but we don't even need to ask! :D

Brubeck said:
Much like the US Constitution, so much depends on the interpretation. I'm sure that you will use your best judgement when removing/deleting threads, and that's a tough job for a moderator, but also one that is necessary.
You bring a good point to light here. We employ certain people to help us to uphold our liberties and rights, but we also employ them to determine what goes past the line of freedoms in good will and those in bad (i.e. murder). Just because we say the US is where everyone is free to do what they will, doesn't mean that we can accept things like assault and rape as expressions of freedom. When it becomes menacing, the law must be executed not just as means of punishment, but also to protect those under it.

I have taken this a bit to the extreme, but we know no one on this board is capable of doing any such harm to other board members (at least not here; in real life is a different story). You have to consider all things relative to this board.

Also, we are here courtesy of the hott babe Antoine. Most will say that since we are on a site that he created for the pleasure of car enthusiasts that we all are subject to his will, but we all know him to be a pretty :cool: guy.

The bottom line here is: there is no bottom line. Everyone has their own interpretation. :D

I agree with your decision Enry to remove anything YOU deem as non-productive or abusive. She may have the right to say what she wants, but I (WE) also have the right to not hear it. In the words of a very wise man "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one". Although her posts have been entertaining to read (we could write a new soap for daytime TV...as the lug nut turns), her ranting and abuse have no place here. I think that providing her with her own forum would be rewarding her. She does not deserve this.

I came here to talk about cars, meet interesting people and learn a few things. I have to say that I have done all 3 things and my time spent here has been great.

Thank you Enry for this forum, and everyone really needs to remember that it is YOURS, to do with what you want. Relevant discussion and friendly talk should be the standard for what is written here. Views will differ but can be addressed in an intelligent manner.

so this is what im getting....if i disagree with someone i have to limit myself to the "words" i use?....if i dont like someone i cant make a post/thread stating so?...plus wouldnt it be much easier if whoever doesnt like what asianhottie types just ignore it? plus just some food for thought...nearly every thread she has started has had 150+ views, some nearly as 300+, and yet "some" dont like what she types? doubt it. btw, like someone else stated earlier....shes not the only one doing the bashing....why not delete THEIR posts as well?....

manuel said:
so this is what im getting....if i disagree with someone i have to limit myself to the "words" i use?....if i dont like someone i cant make a post/thread stating so?...plus wouldnt it be much easier if whoever doesnt like what asianhottie types just ignore it? plus just some food for thought...nearly every thread she has started has had 150+ views, some nearly as 300+, and yet "some" dont like what she types? doubt it. btw, like someone else stated earlier....shes not the only one doing the bashing....why not delete THEIR posts as well?....

I agree 100%

If you don't like what she says just ignore her & her posts/topics.

manuel said:

If you understood that the reasoning is that she adds no value to this board and does nothing but bring it down, you should see the logic.
I know I have posted a lot in responses in those threads, but the intent was to get her to understand that 99% don't care to hear of or from her, but her incompetent brain can't comprehend that fact.
Just understand that she does nothing but bring this place down, and a new user would probably hold low opinions of this board if that was what they saw whenever they logged on.
Enry, I thank you for letting us use your board. It IS YOUR board. You can do whatever you want with it. I'm glad you aren't letting the few members that want to read her crap sway your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back