Bit of a Noob exhaust question and yes I did search...

griswold

:
Spicy Orange MazdaSpeed
I'm curious how much of a gain there is to be had from a cat back exhaust. Every search I do keeps coming up with Turbo back or includes catless DP's, etc.

I don't want to mess with emissions and CEL's at this point.

I know there is a significant gain from going turbo back, but what about just plain old catback?

I hate asking noob questions, so thanks for bearing with me.

Dave

id get a downpipe with a high flow cat if your lookin for good gains..and a catback for sound and looks.
a catback will yeild some gains but a downpipe will yield better...and then a turbo-back will yield the best.

If I had to guess prolly around 5 to 7whp max. Exhausts aren't all that usefull alone. They are called supporting mods.

By freeing up the exhaust you release pressure that your turbo builds up. This allows you increase your boost pressure. On a normal car.

On the mazdaspeed you need a lot more to safely raise boost lvls. Stock boost is abot 6 to 7 psi. To raise above that you will need a full turbo back, a front mount intercooler, boost gauge, an air intake. And sadly, some sort of engine management system(EMS).

I dislike our cars for that reason, but if all you want to run is stock pressure a cat-back is fine.

Eric

PS do a search on the forums for more info regarding raising boost and other mods. Take my advice, enjoy the car for what it is, and dont spend to much on it. In the end it is still just a protege.

Eric-BlackMSP said:
If I had to guess prolly around 5 to 7whp max. Exhausts aren't all that usefull alone. They are called supporting mods.

By freeing up the exhaust you release pressure that your turbo builds up. This allows you increase your boost pressure. On a normal car.

On the mazdaspeed you need a lot more to safely raise boost lvls. Stock boost is abot 6 to 7 psi. To raise above that you will need a full turbo back, a front mount intercooler, boost gauge, an air intake. And sadly, some sort of engine management system(EMS).

I dislike our cars for that reason, but if all you want to run is stock pressure a cat-back is fine.

Eric

PS do a search on the forums for more info regarding raising boost and other mods. Take my advice, enjoy the car for what it is, and dont spend to much on it. In the end it is still just a protege.

No, I understand. I'm coming to this car off an Audi A4 1.8t that I sunk a bunch of money into.

I understand most of the concepts around tuning and the reason I am asking this question is because I'm on the line about whether to tune it or leave it bone stock and enjoy it.

I could really only see my self doing the exhaust and intake mods and probably leaving boost alone.

I also don't want to get too far from factory stock in case I try to do track events in the stock class...well whatever class they put a stock MSP in.

I'm a little nervous about the CAI's since I live in MA. Not too sure I want to be dealing with worrying about getting the intake wet, etc, etc.

I'm not beyond going with an intake and turboback, but like I said, I'm not a fan of messing with emissions and CEL defeaters, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

the real bottle neck is found in the stock cats...hence ppl swapin out for catless dp's.....u wouldnt see a huge gain in just a cat-back up as stated it wil offer to support your stock boost and setup......and its not a matter of havin all the bolt ones to be safe with your boost...its just a matter of watchin ur a/f ratio and maintaining either a rich or balanced ratio....

full turbo back, a front mount intercooler, boost gauge, an air intake

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the need for a FMIC or an intake to up the PSI. Actually an intake lowers your threshold with our maf w/o an fcd. An FMIC will not provide necessarily a greater safety measure, merely a higher efficency level.

I'm a little nervous about the CAI's since I live in MA. Not too sure I want to be dealing with worrying about getting the intake wet, etc, etc.

Unless you are going to go scuba diving with your MSP don't worry about water with a CAI ;) It will remain plenty dry in the fender.

its all a matter of ur taste...if u dont plan to up the boost...a cai and catback would be nice mods....easily takin off so u can run stock classes races also....

Eric-BlackMSP said:

Eric

I raised my boost to 10psi without any other mods, and it ran fine.
I'd get more out of having an exhaust, especially a 3in turboback, but what you just said wasnt wrong but wasnt right..

A catback on this car will help, but the only noticeable difference will be the sound. :)
Good luck with your choice.

Back