A/F troubles...

2K3 MSP

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange MSP #1287
Has anyone with the Injen intake experienced any problems with their A/F ratio since the install? Ever since I installed mine, I get this surge, almost like a fuel cut(the car suddenly hesistates on acceleration) and I can't tell what's causing it. It usually happens 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, but I only notice it if I'm low in the RPM range trying to accelerate. I'm not low enough that the car bogs, but once the car starts to spool, a second or two later it'll kick(hesitate) once, sometimes twice, and then it's ok all the way to redline.
Any thoughts or comments??

may just be ur heistation.....my car bucks also...its stock right now....u are talkin about a buckin effect right?...when u accerlate?

2K3 Mazdaspeed: I too am having the same problem, but i dont have an intake yet and the car has been flash...i brought the car to Mazda and they didnt find the problem..so they let my car go, but if anyone can find the problem it would be great

it is the a/f ratio...the car is horriblely rich stock...suddenly goin wot or even part throttle makes my can hesitate then buck and take off.....get a ems if u wanna clean it.....

besides a dtt im stock right now.....its gotta be the ecu.....

non-flashed also.....at least to my knowledge...i dont see a sticker anywhere and i never took it in for a flash

Ok, I'm running 10psi, and it didn't do this before the Injen. I made my own CAI and it was never an issue. Along with the Injen being installed, I had a turbo>IC hardpipe made because I broke the plastic one. The car is flashed, and I have reset the ECU twice with no luck. I figured it was something to do with the Injen, but I never heard anyone else say they've had this issue when it wasn't there before their Injen install.

Doesn't seem to matter...Mods or no mods. I hope Mazda does something for this MSP problem. The Flash seems to be a Band-Aid for an Axe wound.

I have yet to experience it on the P5.
(flash)

but when i called them they said that i had to get my car flashed and it would take care of the issue..but then i told them it has been flash and the guy had me on hold for 15 min..so i hung up...they rae stumped

im 100% sure its a tuning problem...the flash was a band-aid...all they did was advane the timing a lil.....hopefuly they actually make a good patch to solve this......by then ill probably have an ems lol

I'm 100% stock and I have the same problem you described.

Maybe it'll be the opposite for me: Injen will solve the problem :D

2K3
I've also heard of the Vac lines to/from turbo and BPV get brittle. A vaccum leak is possible?

Last edited:
I'll check the vac. lines in a little bit...
AutoBox: Seeing as how the E-Manage didn't work, what would be the next alternative?

True,

but there has been some cases where the car felt great... the vaccum line crumbled off of the wastegate causing more boost but may be sporattic and dangerous:eek:

2K3 Mazdaspeed said:
I'll check the vac. lines in a little bit...
AutoBox: Seeing as how the E-Manage didn't work, what would be the next alternative?

lol a this poitn...i dunno...perfworks keeps sayin they are makin a setup for the s-afc2 to work and also a stand alone pnp setup....but im not gettin my ems til late spring so i got time to wait and see :) in the mean time i would just get all the bolt ons done....

funnylittlman said:
True,

but there has been some cases where the car felt great... the vaccum line crumbled off of the wastegate causing more boost but may be sporattic and dangerous:eek:

i know for sure a kick in psi isnt the cause of the surge and hesitation...i watch my dtt several times that it occured and it hasnt spiked at all.......im still behind the ecu as the reason for the buckin sensation

AutoBox said:
perfworks keeps sayin they are makin a setup for the s-afc2 to work and also a stand alone pnp setup...in the mean time i would just get all the bolt ons done....
I've done all the bolt-ons. The next thing will prob be the FMIC, and if I come on here to sell it as a kit, the guy will give me free dyno tuning. He says he can get the s-afc to work. I guess he said he's installed them on cars that weren't "do-able" and he's gotten it to work. I trust the guy, so after the FMIC, I'll see if I can work a deal with him.

did you reset your ecu when you installed the cai? At 10psi you should not have any hesitation at all.

if that doesnt work try 15psi :)

Back