2003.5 Custom Fog Light Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
what type of wires are you using? Just wondering what kind of wattage bulbs we can stick in those lenses and that as well.

As long as you have a 03.5 lip, it will work. It is purely designed for it (fitting the lip).

Damn, I have such a bug up my ass about this, that I am becoming impatient myself. I have to wait until I receive my order of ABS plastic from Florida!

- Brian

** THE WORD IS IN **

I have spoken to a local plastic fabricator in the Chicagoland area that WILL be able to do 1/4" ABS plastic, in the shape that I had posted. Furthermore, it will be strong enough and will be able to be painted. Woohoo!

I am now awaiting pricing to see how much it is going to cost to create two prototypes (better than mine) as well as overall production costs.

If the pricing is good all the way around then we should be all set, though, if it is assanine (i.e. above my personal abilities), then I would consider doing a GROUP BUY IN @ COST for the plastic cuts + you pay the difference for the other miscellaneous hardware and if we will be selling this as a full featured kit, split up or "buy your own fog light".

We want to get this product to market, it's just all about the money now. Remember, for my business venture, I only have the total number of cars made in 2003.5 as my customer base minus the people that are not interested. I am not planning on fulfilling the entire dream, just as long as I could at least get a few sets out there, or a hundred.

If we have to do a buy in - would you be willing to pay $20.00 for the entire kit (minus the fogs)?

Who's in?

- Brian

I will repeat this again, as I have many times before to other people on this board. Not trying to be rude here but...

Before pricing gets decided on.....we want to see the final product. Pics please. If it looks good, I'm in. If it looks like crap ( and that is for me to decide for myself) then I'm not. Before seeing the final thing.....not deciding.

I however would be interested in the entire kit once I know some details

Bulbs?
Wires?
Brand name if lights?

Some will be interested in type of switch as well. I have stock one, could care less.

$20.00 sounds kick ass. I'm in.

I like the idea of the complete kit. Open the box, slap those babies on and DONE. I'd like the lights together in a kit as you call it.

>>
Before pricing gets decided on.....we want to see the final product. Pics please. If it looks good, I'm in. If it looks like crap ( and that is for me to decide for myself) then I'm not. Before seeing the final thing.....not deciding.
>>

I'll have prototypes made regardless...and will post it anyhow.

I'm gauging interest right now if everything is wonderful-pie-in-sky so I can work with the fabricator on estimated orders.

>>
I however would be interested in the entire kit once I know some details

Bulbs?
Wires?
Brand name if lights?

Some will be interested in type of switch as well. I have stock one, could care less.
>>

Read my very FIRST post, it gives you information via a link...

- Brian

Last edited:
hmmm. just removed the fogs huh>?

i might do the same

will this work out with the kit, zmzmp5?

As I mentioned before, as long as you get a 2003.5 lip, you'll be set. If you have a switch with wires, just connect the +/- to each fog light and you will be set!

Friday Night - 9:30PM, forgot I had to do maintenance on a server - well, I'm 2 hours late on it, but rebooting it as we speak.

Why late?

s*** I DID IT!

I decided to try to do the kit with METAL instead of plastic.

I had so many ideas, that I went and spent $50.00 on miscellaneous, parts, etc. and got it to work.

The only problem, the chuck on my drill broke (was going), so I have a sheet of 22 gauge plated steel with all holes predrilled except the large center one (3.5").

The labor involved for a kit is estimated about an hour.

The good news is it was easier than I thought and is strong as hell. I was able to "flush mount" the light with the metal trim piece which the fog is attached to the trim piece with two screws for adjustment (up/down). The entire assembly is attached to the bumper with 4 screws. Just plug in the wire and you're done. Since it is metal, I will have to paint the metal "black"

So far it looks damn awesome!

Why did I do this? I wanted to "to try it" just in case the plastic fabrication is too damn expensive - still waiting on pricing. Also, I would have to spend some big money out of my pocket if it was expensive to be able to cut the plastic effectively. I didn't realize that the metal is easier for me to work with - much harder to screw up.

At this point, I estimate I can still sell the complete Metal Kit with fog lights for $90.00 shipped (no increase) (no brackets needed, as they are built onto the trim piece).

I might also sell just the GEN II Fog Light Mount piece for $25.00 shipped. Hot damn!

Now I gotta get a new drill, drill the holes, paint the assembly and take pictures, then on Tuesday/Wednesday mount it on the car with pictures. (Why so long - car is in the autobody getting rear bumper repainted - wife had too much fun the 1st snow and barely nicked the bumper on a median - getting APC CF's on the end).

We will have to see what the plastic fabricators say. If it is cheap, I will lower the price of the complete kit. If it is the same as the metal - I will sell the metal instead.

Later.

- Brian

P.S. 6-pack of beers in me right now.

Last edited:
only killer about metal is this

You paint is black, put it on car. Fine, looks great for a while.

After time your spray painted metal gets rock chips, and might start to look like crap, and even peel.

Just a thought. What Kind of paint are you thinking of?

At least with plastic, it's blac, and if it's hit with a rock, it's still black.......unless it cracks of course.

I would rather have metal. If it gets chipped up, I'll paint it again. For that price I can spend an hour every couple of years repainting the pieces. I would probably paint them to match my car anyway.

good point.
My only issue with metal is, is it going to look like a hacked job? are the edges going to be straight and smooth. If he gets a company to cut that plastic for him, it should be perfect, almost factory looking. Will the metal be the same or look like it was cut by a child with a pair of scissors.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Hope you are all doing good. 12:00AM CST now.

Here are my thoughts on your comments:

a) Rustoleum flat black, 5 coats + clear coat, 3 coats. This should last quite some time. Repainting it should take an hour after a period of time. Treat it the same as you would repainting your bumper.

b) No, not a hack job. I just cut two more pieces, no hole in the center, but I used my "bench grinder" and smoothed all the edges. I think it looks good. Remember, this is "crafted by hand". You'll just have to see the pictures (lots of them this time and hi-res) and make you're own call.

c) I would like to have plastic for the point of (a few minutes of my labor only) as well as every cut is equal - professionally done. and yes, no rock chip/paint issues.

Good night.

- Brian

Or you can do what I did with my Silver MSP and remove the lip and install factory fogs. Anyone want pics...hehe

just make an option for those who want plastic and those who want metal. if someone orders it plastic they could spend a lil more and you could have the plastic one made for them

just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back