2003.5 Custom Fog Light Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to recoupe my expenditure's on these kits since I am going to remanufacturer brackets that will fit two applications instead of one and concentrate on a larger light (if I can get it to work out right).

- Brian

Wow, seems there was some cake built in there....

No offense II-Savy. :) But thats why people are in business, to make $$$$$. 40-50% profit is standard parts retail markup. Nothing wrong with that. ;) Especially ok when the little guys (vendors) are doing alot of prototype and custom work considering the limited amount of product for our cars. There is also nothing wrong with a good deal. :D

ok , I hear ya.

Nothing wrong with making money, just makes you think when there was room in there to go down that far. Nothing wrong with a good deal.

I am going to ask this question, don't be upset on me for doing so, but for the amount of time and effort into creating a "good deal" and something that is more than very functional - how come no one has jumped on picking one of these sets up yet? I have sold about twenty sets (not through this thread), but I have gotten a lot less response and a bunch of orders.

Just makes me curious. Still working on a revised design/5" (yes, went bigger) driving light combination. Will be two weeks before I can have kits available and days away from publication.

- Brian

maybe 03.5 msp owners don't like the fog light look?

although if i get the lip i'd want the hella angels in there

just me

"I am going to ask this question, don't be upset on me for doing so, but for the amount of time and effort into creating a "good deal" and something that is more than very functional - how come no one has jumped on picking one of these sets up yet? "

I'll answer :D - It's hard to see from here the amount of effort you put into creating this. Personally I'll just get some metal from Home Depot and make my own brackets and do as you suggest.

In additon it's kick ass cold out and people are prolly less likely to work on their car.:cool:

I'll keep quiet for now and let everyone know when I have a 5" set working.

BTW - The Hella Angel Eyes are only 4" and will look the same (gap wise) as our existing kit. Also, the light output is about 35% less light than what we have. (I bought the Angel Eyes and wasn't happy with the quality/output).

FYI - We machine our parts.

- Brian

5 and 1/4" to maybe 5 1.2" I think. NOt at all sure, but definitely not 4. I too was originally trying to get 4.5 " lights. Didn't have much luck finding them

Was starting to look at other cars, and their stock oem lights. Quite a few cars have round fogs as oem stuff.

After spending a couple hours with my design programs, measuring lights, going to Pep Boys and speaking with a few "creative" people at my primary job, here is what we came up with...

Our current light is 4". Everyone likes the look of this current size, rather than a big one due to the angling effect of the front lip. Otherwise, no lip, a bigger light looks good such as the P5.

You can NOT go bigger than 4.75" top bottom and 5" left right with a light set back as much as our 4".

If you move the light out 1" (looks okay before looking bad), then you can go 5 1/8" all the way around BUT that is the MAX. We picked up a set of different Pilot's that were 5 1/8" with a color ring around it. We mocked it up. Though, this still does not solve the trim problem.

You can STILL SEE the stock clip holes. A little less, but it still exists. The price would go up about $30.00 as well.

Back to the trim piece.

So, here is where we are at. We have a template and have successfully been able to cut it in sheet metal and plastic. It looks really nice, though we are in need of "someone" to take a template that we currently have, and mass-produce it in 1/8" plastic. My plastic supplier here (used to use a few years back) is out of business.

Does anyone know of a plastics company that can take a template, scan it in (to scale) and cut it?

Oh yeah, quick EDIT here...

We would be able to create a different bracket/mount to attach the fog light directly to this piece so all you would do is take the entire assembly, slide it into the big opening, drill, two holes and screw in. This is soooo much better and would have a "flush/molded" affect and would be around the same pricing as we currently offer.

- Brian

Last edited:
I'll be in line for whatever the solution is. I want fogs on my MSP. :) I will patiently wait for you to figure it all out.

Well I have a solution. It takes about an hour labor just to make one trim piece. It looks really good though. In addition it can be painted to match the car. Yes, it is custom and a "one off" but for the benefit of the members on this board, I'd really like to get it massed produced and make some $$$ off of it.

- Brian

Well - everyone, I managed to have spent the last 5 or so hours creating an process which can now be utilized to lasercut the trim plates. I have attempted to contact five or so companies to see what it would cost to lasercut the following in 1/4" ABS plastic:

Let me know your thoughts. If they can do this, I can affix the fog light directly to the trim, so all you would have to do is:

a) Remove stock grill cover
b) Place the entire fog light assembly (trim and all) and screw in two screws
c) Wire up electrical

You're done!

- Brian

Last edited:
I would think mounting the fog light to the peice of plastic would allow the light to wiggle when the car went over bumps. I think metal would be better.

zmzmp5... I hate to threadjack as it's rude, so I will apologize up front.

What other products do you plan to offer for sale. I am particularly interested in the intake you designed and discussed on this forum a few months ago. Any plans for mass producing that - with the heat shield?

Thanks and I now return you to your normal programming (2003.5 Custom Fog Light Kit)

Ben

Regarding the interruption of "programming" - we have ideas, but we will not comment at this time.

Regarding mounting the fog light to the plastic. We are talking 1/4" ABS at a minimum (remember, ABS is not flexible). We ideally would like 1/2". We are working with a few companies to find out if they could not only cut the pieces, but what it would take to do some plasti-welding/molding for bracketry as well right on this piece. We want to keep the entire installation light weight and cost effective. We are also considering metal, but that usually requires "tooling and die" costs and price is prohibitive. Plastic is much easier to work with as it will be laser cut.

Don't worry about the "wiggle" as we have not spent this much time on a product with the intent to sell a less superior product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back