Knocking in steering wheel

:
2003 MSP
OKay so when i cut my wheel all the way it makes these thudding sounds as the car is moving. I have no idea what this is. Also there is a squeking noise coming from the engine compartment when i turn the wheel to compliment the thuds. However it always squeeked, but what is this thudding.??!?!

i feel this as well when reversing....feels like the spring is releasin tension or something

Possibly a bad CV joint. Does it sound like it is coming from the wheel area? Is it a thud or a pop?

like a thud...it happens to be when i turn full lock and back up....i figured maybe it was the spring moving in the sit of the strut??? i uslaly only feel it when its cold out also...dealer gonna check it out this thusday but i would like opinions just in case they "cant reproduce the problem"

Limited Slip

Mine has a scraping noise when I turn and lock fully to the left and go forward. L.S. is what I think it is

Last edited:
maybe the lsd.....it only happens at really slow speeds......hmmmmm

has it happened to anyone when the car is warm? i usally only notice if when i leave for work and its cold

I have the same problem but only when i first back the car out on cold mornings ..my car is goin to the dealer on thursday if they fix the problem i let you guys know..

Could be bad tie rods -- 1 of my old cars did that when the tie rods were shot. Although mine did it no matter if you were turning or going straight and it got worse at high speeds. Hm. I'd take it to the dealer - it doesn't sound normal to me.

I have exactly the same problem. I guess I am glad I am not alone. Only happens on a very cold day when backing up and turning the steering. Its almost like something is frozen in the steering and suddenly breaks loose when the wheel is turned.

Just 1 question - are all of you guys that have this problem on the stock rubber and racing harts? From your description I almost want to say that I had a similar sensation in the steering wheel with my stock wheels on cold days ... but whatever it was went away when I put the snows on. I chalked it up to tire slippage (or something) since those RE040s are so slick in the cold. I don't know...just a thought.

Mine does it too when reverseing its definetly the limited slip and i wouldn't worry about it at all.
Dan

I believe it's just the LSD. Mine does it too.

But it's like this...

A man goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor says "Then don't do that!"

Anyway, I think there is something on the manual about this. You're not supposed to turn your wheel full lock very much, or something.

yeh i figured it was somehting dealin with the cold cus i didnt start havin it til lately......and that suxs about not bein able to go full lock...our cars have bad turning radius anyway.....in my old 240sx i could do a u turn on my street from a parking spot if the oposite side was empty.....now i gotta do a three point turn with the msp even if its open......one thing that puzzles me IF it is th elsd...why dont i have the problem when im full lock goin forward? i only experience the "THUD" when im full lock in reverse......

I'm not sure, but it's definitely not just you. In fact, my wheels feel like they're "skipping" over the pavement if I'm in full lock foward OR reverse. I just avoid full lock...no problems.

damn i thought mine was the only one, in the beginning when i heard that i stopped and i noticed the tire was scrapping but it used to do that before i changed out my springs and i slipped 5/8 spacers on all my wheels..the wheels now are flushed with the fender and they dont make noise.......

Back