Check engine light problem!

pr5owner

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda Proteg5
i searched for this but i couldn't findthe answer, my check engine light is solid, i checked all my fluids, their all good. i turn on my car and the light is on their untill i turn it off, my car idles irregularly at like 1500-2000 when its first turned on and 1300 when its warm (30 mins of driving) the dumb ass mechanic that fixed my car said that was okay and nothing to worry about (the idiot mechanic said i have to wait 2 weeks for this "Switch" to come in so he can install it) i belive its a sensor malfunctioning because i recently had an accedent, and its causing the ECU to overcompensate and screwing up the idle. what do you ppl think?

and if he means that "Switch" is just something to turn off the bulb then i will kill that mechanic, that is just as stupid as takeing out the light bulb.

"i installed a switch so you can turn on and off the check engine light when you feel theirs a problem" <-- i sware he will say somethign that rediculous

you might try resetting the ecu...unplug the battery for 30min. or more then hook it up again. there might not be anything mechanically wrong with your car but your ecu thinks there is...this is a common problem when ppl install parts too...if that doesn't work then take it in again...

sundevilMP5 said:
you might try resetting the ecu...unplug the battery for 30min. or more then hook it up again. there might not be anything mechanically wrong with your car but your ecu thinks there is...this is a common problem when ppl install parts too...if that doesn't work then take it in again...

this is a good suggestion to see if its a REAL problem....but remember...remove the NEGITIVE terminal...not the positive...and after removing it...get in the car and push the brakes a few times...there are a few capacitors in the system and this will discharge them too.....then wait just a little while and hook it back up....

then...start your car and allow it to idle for about 15 minutes.....this allows your ECU to relearn its settings...

your car idleing at 1500 to 2000 when you first start it up cold IS normal....but it should idle about 750 to 800 after its warm.

:{D

Hey dude by the way how bad was your accident, it takes a lot to freak out ECU especialy if the light is on all the time :confused:

You mention high idle, check engine light in combination with a previous accident... You may have a damaged emissions component creating a vacuum leak somewhere. Where was the damage done to the car?

yeah i reset the ecu, i unpluged the - terminal, turned the key to on and pushed the breaks and stuff (all settings lost even trip timmers) turned it back on, let it idle for 20 mins and the check engine light was still on. their is something mechanicaly wrong definatly. when my car is warm it idles at clost to 1500 RPM, when i push the clutch in it goes down to 800 and up again when i let go. my accedent was serious, $13,000CAD worth of front end damage (air bags did not inflate)

pr5owner said:
.... my accedent was serious, $13,000CAD worth of front end damage (air bags did not inflate)

What insurance company you got? They should write off a car when the damage is more than 1/2 of the cost of the car.:confused:

MSRP with sunroof and a/c is $21,695 + tax = $24,949.25

Last edited:
You really need to take it back to the repair facility for correction. The dealer will probably notice the extensive repairs and find that the problem may actually relate to the accident. If that is the case they will not warranty it.

yeah i was wishing for a write off but my insurance company is full of dumb idiots just like the mechanic.. i cant do anything about it, what i am gonna try and do is lose 5 grand and get a brand new PR5 by trading in the old one

Other than the high idle and CEL light being on, how was the physical repair? Does the car look and drive OK? Your idle problem may be as simple as a vacuum line that came off. I myself wouldn't want to go upside down on a car loan for something that can be easily fixed. Give someone the opportunity to check it out. Take it to the dealer. If it's a warranty repair then great. If not at least they will tell you what it is so you can have the place that fixed your car do something about it.

rodslinger said:
Other than the high idle and CEL light being on, how was the physical repair? Does the car look and drive OK? Your idle problem may be as simple as a vacuum line that came off. I myself wouldn't want to go upside down on a car loan for something that can be easily fixed. Give someone the opportunity to check it out. Take it to the dealer. If it's a warranty repair then great. If not at least they will tell you what it is so you can have the place that fixed your car do something about it.

physical repair is the worst crap ive ever seen, they are horrible, they forgot screws here and their, they spilled black tar like substances all over my engine bay and tried to hide it by spraypainting over it, its so obvious its not even funny, the tar is like a cm thick!!!! its sick. nothing lines up, the hood is crooked, the front fascia is crooked. they didn't even fill up my coolant after the thing those ******* idiots i can't stand mechanics who are completly incompetant. they didn't even have the courtesy to tie down the engine block heater cord, it was dangleing infront of the fan hitting s***, i didn't notice till i kept hearing this rattle every now and then. GRRRRRRRRR i hate stupid ppl

heres some pics of the accedent
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291762667

The original damage doesn't look that bad compared to what it could have been. Take a look at this site for good information on your rights regarding vehicle accident repair.

http://www.wreckcheck.net/

I know the guy that started the site and he used to own a body shop. The best work I have EVER seen came from him. He didn't repair cars, he restored them and guaranteed the work for as long as you owned the car. That's the sign of a good body shop.

hey thanks man i'll check out the site, and also thanks for all your replies they have been very helpful!

Dude does your insurance company force you to make repairs within their mechanics? I'm not sure if they are legally allowed to do that. I had a light fender bender, and my insurance wanted to send me to one of their "expert" mechanics (my agent was all sweet and nice to me at this point). My answer was something along the lines of "there is no way I am sending limited edition car to some random guy, not in a billion years" (the agent wasn't so sweet with me after this).
So because I wanted my dealer to do the job, I had to go get an estimate first (big deal). But the job was done very well. I had nothing to complain about, and I inspected the car with a fine tooth comb.
The bottom line is that when it comes to insurance repairs, I believe, you, as the client, must be satisfied with the repair. If you are not, I think it in your right to demand they fix whatever is wrong (ie: get it inspected by mazda dealer).

I'm no expert in the legal matters, but am I making any sense?

yep, perfect sense, i keep yelling (actaully out loud) at the mechanic and demanding him to fix the crap work he did its already been 1.5months and its still not fixed, i have to wait for a "Switch" to come in and he continue... that stupid dumbass..

Back