how to boost safely?

itz_alan

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
As usual, im here asking another question.. it seems that all of the 1000000 blown motors of the msp on this forum happened because of boosting, am i correct? So how does one increase the boost on a msp safely? do you have to work on the engine internals first? and if so, what kinda stuff do we have to change..? i decided not to increase my boost because all the blown motors were frightening me but if i can increase it safely, might as well right? its kinda pathetic how the msp runs about.. 5.5 psi stocked? my friend has a wrx and his stocked runs around 13 psi.. :wtf:

What im gonna do to turn up the boost safely is im gonna get a dual stage boost controller and set the low boost at 7 and the high at 10. As long as you dont run the high boost everyday you will be fine. If you want to run it higher all the time you should do some internal work like forged piston because our motors are regular NA proteges so the pistons and rods are not made for really high boost numbers. A stock msp should be at 7psi not 5.5psi. I wouldnt be so quick to up the boost though if I were you I would wait till after you do some other mods like full exhaust, intake, fmic,etc.

Forged internals, colder plugs, fuel/timing management will be needed to up the boost safely.

Personally, I am going to up my boost to 8.5 psi and leave it there until I become rich.

There are so many threads about this, go search for them. Standalone systems, MBC, EBC, you name it, it's been brought up. You should think about this..... can you afford to replace your motor? If so, then you can afford to up the boost. My opinion.

You should definately think about the forged, I personally think that's a great investment no matter what...that and a good set of rods. If your going to do that then have some porting work done and then enjoy your newly reinforced bottom end. Think smart though...fuel management, spark control, timing..all that good stuff.

Best of luck and keep us informed of which way you go, if you decide to up the boost.

ok i'm not all that familiar with raising boost levels on this engine...but i know for turboing the spec v ....4 engine's were blown by people on forums as first attempts...(problem: cylinder walls too thin, and our stroke sucks for high comp)....so people were being weiner's about putting down anything more than 215whp on their ser/spec...and last week this guy did a turbo kit by himself, did the research by himself...and went out about...JUST finished it (took about 4 months)...and is putting down 289whp and 280wtq on STOCK internals......its been running for over 2k miles now....so what im saying is learn, and see what your car can do and gather as much info as you can man...if your car is having boost problems....try to solve that without redoing the internals..

Back