sub sound

blakesmith13

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
i have two planet audio comp 10" subs from my old jeep they run about 125w from a planet 400w amp. i was figuring if i wanted one or two cuz two's gonna be less money with less space. i just wanted to know someone with a comparable system or someone who kney what they were talking about....how would one sub sound? or should i stick with two? i mean i don't listen to big bump songs or anything i just don't wanna have too much when i can have just one you know if any of that makes sense i ramble a lot.

you can get alot out of one sub. Your sub will be in the back of the car and not in the trunk (that will help also). I have only one 12" sub in my trunk and it sounds great and has plenty of spl (bumps - as you called it). Alot of the guys on this site only have one sub. If you have the proper sub, amp and box you can get alot of output from your sub.

Also one sub will only add 3dB. For clarification I borrowed this for ya "As reference levels, 0 dB SPL is the quietest sound a human can normally hear and 1 dB is the smallest change in level that the human ear can detect. For comparison, at three feet, speech conversation level is about 60 dB SPL and a jackhammer's level is about 120 dB SPL."

I have never heard the subs that you have nor have I heard the amp. So I am not sure about your setup, but I do konw that one sub is plenty. I am sure that alot of others will tell you the same.

if you were going from a dual sub setup in a trunk, to a single sub in the hatch, it would be close to the same sound. typically hatches are 3-4 dB's louder than sedans with trunks. do you have the subs in a sealed or ported box? a well designed ported box will still sound good, but get 3 dB's louder, which will allow a single sub to be as loud as the 2 in a sealed box.

Yeah...a second sub won't make it significantly louder, I think...

Basically, it's all about what you want from the system...if space is your major concern then go with 1 10" in a sealed box, if you want to look badass go with 2 10" in a sealed box and light 'em up, or if you want to get serious put 1 10" in a ported box tuned to 28hz designed for that particular sub. Or...you can get crazy and fill your trunk with a 6th order bandpass built specifically to use both subs. ;)

I can't find specs on the stuff...gimme some more info:

a) recommended wattage to subs
b) RMS power from amp
c) what kind of music do you listen to
d) how loud do you listen to it
e) is space an important concern

I can offer better recommendations knowing that stuff!

rms is 150 continuous and 300 max. my amp is 400wx2. i listen to punk but i like to have my bass sound cuz i've had them in my jeep since day one with her. but my girlfriend listens to rap. i only have a stock radio now so i can tweek with it but i listen pretty moderate it depends on my mood and depends what i listen to some stuff you like to blare some stuff you kinda just wanna chill to but medium we'll go with that. well im not thinking space is too important..maybe something that was like quick disconnect no that just unhooking all the stuff is easy anyways but whatever. i mean i got two of them it only cost like 85 bucks to get them hooked up that way the just take up all but maybe eight inches of the trunk space pushed to one side and maybe eight inches to the hatch. it looks really sweet though! i thought maybe i could do like a truck box or always going to one would always work. and heck i could get them to hook it up the way it is and change later if it bothers me to just one or something i mean once they got the amp kit in if i don't like i buy the box put the sub in connect the amp to the sub and im good right?

the box that i was going to with just one is sealed. and my subs were originally in a jeep cherokee so they always been for lack of better words "out in the open." and my original box is sealed too.

i need to read all those posts at once instead of one at a time cuz my posts are separated. they have this badass bandpass box for my subs in the store but can we say absolutely no trunk space. i mean i can always use my back space i mean the car isn't an suv or a truck and just cuz im going to college doesn't mean i can't use my paren'ts suv's!:D

You can try it the way you have it at first, but later on down the road depending on what annoys you about it that way (if anything) you can go with a single in either a sealed or ported box (which that amp is overkill for) or you can look at other subs that'll handle that amp's power better. Something like an eD 10a or JL 10w6v2 or something like that that'll be good if you bridge those 2 channels to one. That's a ton more power though, so just see how you like it for now...if it really comes down to it you could sell it off and start new! :)

thanks man i appreciate. i got my girl's bday and vday coming in the same month so this is future planning haha :)

well i'd stick with sealed personally. u won't get as much bass as u would if u went bandpass, but the bass will be more accurate, and since your going from a cherokee to a small hatchback, i wouldn't be surprised if that one sub sounded just as loud if not louder then your two subs in the cherokee

sndsgood said:
well i'd stick with sealed personally. u won't get as much bass as u would if u went bandpass, but the bass will be more accurate, and since your going from a cherokee to a small hatchback, i wouldn't be surprised if that one sub sounded just as loud if not louder then your two subs in the cherokee

actually the bass would be close to the same going from a cherokee to the P5. if it was the cherokee to a sedan, with the sub in a trunk, it would be a bit quieter. both the cherokee and p5 are open vehicles, and similar in air space.

i just ended up getting a vented box that looks pretty nice! just need to do a lil floor mod so the wires don't make the floor stick up!

and it didnt so i will attach them.....

Attachments

• dsc01076.jpg
    dsc01076.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 36
When you manage your files in the "user cp" there will be a http:// link (after you upload the picture). You copy that link. Then when you are typing up the message the "IMG" button above where you type is where you paste the link. hopefully that makes sense.

is that the r/t or obcon vented box? sure looks like it. if it is, good choice, it's a pretty well built, low tuned box, which is rare for prefab boxes;)

Back