Mazdaspeed owners got it easy, I feel for our Rx8 siblings

BrianV

:
2003 Black Mazdaspeed
My g/f really wants me to get an Rx8. Ever since we went into the dealer to look at 6's and Mazdaspeeds she's been infatuated with the 8.

Well now that the dealers are willing to deal on 8's, I decided to do some reading up on them.

Wow, I feel fortunate to own a MSP. RX8's, although have less minor problems, they have some serious issues for $30k cars.

First, their projected resale is in the TANK; way worse then MSP.

Second, nearly half of the users are reporting bad gas mileage (like 12-16 MPG).

Finally, others (around 25-33%) are reporting serious rotary flooding problems. The dealer is not deflooding the engines under warranty either. Some people have to wait three days to start their car again after flooding it. By that time they've seriously put some wear and tear on the starter.

The manual describes how to properly operate the car to avoid flooding (read: Mazda knew about the problem way ahead of time). It says to start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes and to never turn the car off with the water temp cold. I warm up my car, but I'm not going to sit in my freezing cold car for 5 minutes to let it warm up; I'm sorry, this is just a Mazda not a fighter jet.

That has seriously soured me on the Rx8 100x more then the MSP. I'm so glad I didn't let my g/f talk me into the Rx8. If they had the great deals I probably would've got one, but at the time the dealers wanted sticker for a Rx8, or $15,995 for an 03 MSP; I took the economical decision.

It's really too bad; Mazda is in some serious need of some quality assurance on their vehicles.

I don't care how great it drives, getting stranded by your brand new $30,000+ car is not cool. Blowing an engine because you up'd the boost is a bit more acceptable, at least you did something that Mazda didn't want you to do.

Last edited:
Actually I heard the same problem about the RX-8 when I went to get my oil change last week. The service writer told me that the 8's were have flooding and burning oil problems. He said that 2 customers have to buy new motors already:eek:. One person didn't even check his oil and Mazda voided his warranty. So now that person has to buy a new motor out of pocket. That has to really suck to pay $7-8k for a new motor. I'll have to ask my friend Syntrix about the RX-8 probs.

Yeah, kinda hard to find a junkyard motor to rebuild.

I'd rather take my chances with an Evo at $30g's.

Damn that sucks....but the rotary still ****** rules. Too bad re-re's cant operate it correctly :(

scheisser...and i was thinking hmm, maybe the rx-8 will be a good trade in after the MSP ? (headshake

damn mazda...quit (jerkit) and build some high quality cars again

i think mazdas problem is that they have couldnt make the rx-8 the car they wanted without raising the msrp above what people were willing to pay... in their attempt to build fanbase, they invested in looks, and ended up building a rotary engine with many of the same complaints that the originals had. they are the only people to really make a mass produced rotary, and they dont sell a shitload of cars, so its hard to invest in r&d... but every mistake they make leads them in the right direction.

Originally posted by 04MINIcooperS
Aside from the rx7 and 787b what has mazda made that was godly? The 626 GT???

ha ha ha.;)

i didn't say cars that were godly, i said high quality. many miata enthusiasts like myself still have our miatas after years and years of use. leather interior still looks good, engine revs like a beast, and still gives you the exhileration of driving. even after i've been driving it (i put more miles in a few months than my parents ever put on it in a year), it's still a great car. besides, the rx-7 had its run of problems, and the 787b wasn't a production car. my miata never had to have any warranty work done to it.

cochizzle said:
i think mazdas problem is that they have couldnt make the rx-8 the car they wanted without raising the msrp above what people were willing to pay... in their attempt to build fanbase, they invested in looks, and ended up building a rotary engine with many of the same complaints that the originals had. they are the only people to really make a mass produced rotary, and they dont sell a shitload of cars, so its hard to invest in r&d... but every mistake they make leads them in the right direction.

yeah, i think that's what they did, too. nissan had the z concept car shown for a lil' bit before it ever hit production. people were rallying for a new rotary car, but they failed just 'cause they already had an engine and just shoved it into a new car. i mean seriously, a few tweaks to the 13b after all the years that the rx-7 was out of production and still have bad problems ? i wonder how the people in japan feel about the problems w/ the rx-8...HEY ANTOINE !!! CARE TO CHIME IN !?!?!?

BrianV said:
The manual describes how to properly operate the car to avoid flooding (read: Mazda knew about the problem way ahead of time). It says to start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes and to never turn the car off with the water temp cold. I warm up my car, but I'm not going to sit in my freezing cold car for 5 minutes to let it warm up; I'm sorry, this is just a Mazda not a fighter jet.
[/B]

i have always heard to not let your engine idle cold... am i wrong?

after i learned they overrated the power i gave up on the rx8.....unless i see a turbo version near 300whp i rather spend the 30k on a evo or spend a few g's more and get a nice g35 with a sc :)

i think problem #1 with both cars is engine management. ours- sucks, i'm not just talking about the ability to run piggy backs or anything like that. it learns bad things and has a rediculous a/f ratio.
theirs- sounds like it too is getting way too much fuel

autobox, get your facts straight. If they did anything, they underrated the power. The RX-8 cannot be tested on a chasis dyno. The computer analyzes everything to determine the best power for the situation. Once the ECU checks the wheels peed sensors and notices that the rear wheels are flying and the fronts aren't going anywhere it throws the car into limp mode. You don't think driving a car in limp mode is good for 12hp loss?? Also, even though the HP number went down (by a very small percentage) it'ss till just as fast, if not faster, than mazda said it would be. Rotaries never had torque, but they do make good top end power.

sorry matty if i stepped on ur toe....my friend has a rx8 and he recieved a letter from mazda usa sayin they over rated the hp of the rx8 and would compensate him.....i never said the rx8 was a puss car...just that for the money i rather have close to 300hp :)

also my friend still has his rx8.....again, i never said they were bad cars.......

again, you're only half-right....several owners had the car dynoed and found much lower numbers. Mazda performed tests on chasis dynos and found the lower numbers to hold up on a chasis dyno. They immediatly issued the letters, buybacks, and service incentives to keep the faith in the car. After this was all said and done Mazda continued to do testing to the Renesis and found at that time that the car was running in limp mode due to the ECU's inability to adjust the vehicle sped sensors to a dyno. Putting the engine on an engine dyno makes pretty good power (dont have the exact number, but I would assume about 275-285hp. This would justify the claimed hp rating of 250 from mazda ssuming a 15% drivetrain loss. the NA rotary cars are known for having very little torque. but I'm confident if you took the weight of the car with it's actual quartermile times and plugged it into a HP/quartermile convertor you'd find power very similar to what mazda claimed if not more.

93 RX7 TT - 2900lbs 255hp quartermile 13.6s
03 RX8 NA - 3100lbs 238hp quartermile 14.3s (as verified extensively on rx8-forum.com)

hmm....seems pretty even to me.

p.s. no toes stepped on, just trying to squash rumors and misinformation.

that works for me...like i said my friend is happy with the car, he is unsure of the route he wants to take with it though, since he has a '93 rx7 already thats puttin a good 450whp down.....i just rather see a turbo version of the rx8 anyway....i would love to see mazda produce the true rx7 replacement i hear so much about.....i got three years til my msp is paided off...so i can wait :)

Back