Winter tires on alloys? Don't want steelies....

Dimitrios

Contributor
:
2012 CWP MS3
OK, we haven't gotten much of any snow here in Chicagoland, but I know it'll be here..

I want snow tires, but not on steelies; I've seen Proteges/Pro5's with steelies and frankly, it's fugly. I dunno if I can bear driving around with them on all winter....

So, now I'm looking at locating a set of MX-6 or Probe or 626 wheels without spending a ton either (perhaps a price equal to that of steelies).

Anyone have any thoughts; I'm thinking the MX-6/Probe way may be the best route for winter......

Get rims from a 1992-1994 929. =) Here's my P5 with the 15" 929 rims, repainted in gunmetal by me. I think they look pretty good!

winterized_p5.jpg

Oh man, I didn't realize that 929 wheels would fit....

....what size are those? and where did you get them :D...and how much?! lol...

I got them from ARunto on the boards a while back. =) They're 15x6" wheels, 67.1mm centerbore, and weigh around 12-13lbs each, as measured on a scale at UPS, which surprised me! I paid 180$ for all four, but that was an amazing deal that I just happened to hop on at the right time. You can probably get a set from a junk yard or eBay, if you keep your eyes out, though!

I wish i spent the xtra $$ when i bought my snowtires... Next winter i will grab a set of used p5 rims and get some 16" snowtires.. These are getting pretty worn anyways.. heres a pic

mp3steelies.jpg

:'(

Why not just spend some more money on a good set of summer wheels and use the stock wheels as winter wheels.

Thats what I did.

its that whole "spend some more money" thing that gets me :D

smither's that's what I'm thinking as well; however, I feel stupid that spent money on the polished wheels (but I like them :D) when I bought her in May.....

....I dunno...I'll see..

Anyone with MX-6 wheels?

Back