Was going down the highway the other day..

I took a trip from San Jose to San Francisco, and back again. on the way back it was raining heavily, and a few times i noticed my CEL and ABS light would light up during the drive. nothing would really happen, but they would just light up. is this the abs kicking in? i was not braking or anything; just driving. was it the lsd somehow?

hmm.. I can feel/hear my abs all of the time during different braking... but I never havea light... usually lights = somthing wrong

How many miles do you have on your car? Has the brake system ever been bled/serviced? I would check your brake fluid level as it may be low. I can't remember what all will trigger the ABS light...

The CEL could be anything, but I doubt its anything major. Did it come on only during higher revs, lower revs? It could be the VTCS system.

Right now I don't think there is a problem as only spontaneous sypmtoms are occurred. If the CEL ever stays on, have it diagnosed at your local auto parts store. It should be free.

Random comment/question since this is somewhat related.. Anyone notice that when you are braking relatively had while entering a parking lot or driveway with a slanted entrance it feels like the ABS is kicking in or you are actually grounding!? I get a pulsating feeling when I take an entrance at decent speeds and brake.... Just curious!

alright cool. i thought it was probably nothing, but the fact that it spontaneously came on like 3 times that night bothered me.

Random comment/question since this is somewhat related.. Anyone notice that when you are braking relatively had while entering a parking lot or driveway with a slanted entrance it feels like the ABS is kicking in or you are actually grounding!? I get a pulsating feeling when I take an entrance at decent speeds and brake.... Just curious!

I was going to start a thread about this, but never got around to it... It happens to me too, but not with my stock rims, only with my snow tires.
You say you think it's the ABS & that may be true, but for a while now I've been thinking it was the break line being stretched out at the turn?
If it is the ABS, then that's not the norm, cause I've had other cars with ABS & that never happened.
This never happened over the summer, so my be cold related?

i have slammed the brakes before, and felt like i was bottoming out...but i didn't think i was so i assumed it was the ABS...however, it doesn't happen every time i get on the binders hard.

RuggedMazda said:
I was going to start a thread about this, but never got around to it... It happens to me too, but not with my stock rims, only with my snow tires.
You say you think it's the ABS & that may be true, but for a while now I've been thinking it was the break line being stretched out at the turn?
If it is the ABS, then that's not the norm, cause I've had other cars with ABS & that never happened.
This never happened over the summer, so my be cold related?
I started a thread about it a while ago, no real answer but speculation was either abs or the lsd. http://www.msprotege.com/vbb230/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38219

rocketspeed said:
All MSP's do. And this is the MSP forum, after all.

Well, I have a P5.

Kind of glad I don't have ABS, never got used to it in other cars I have owned.

Back