JL sub - blown?

nate0123

rawr!
:
2023 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus, 2019 Hyundai Veloster N
Well, one of my subwoofers hasn't been working recently, so I pulled it out to check all the connections. Everything was connected, but still no motion from the sub. The weird thing is that I can get some sound to come out if I push the speaker in about 1/2", but it's all crackly. I assume this means it's blown, but is there anything else it could be?

If you push the cone, evenly around the center, and it feels rough (like it's scraping on something) then it sounds toast. You can check it with an ohm-meter as well.

Be careful though, moving the cone manually can be deceiving...you have to make sure to push evenly otherwise you'll slightly warp the coil and make it rub.

Bummer about the driver....good luck with the repair.

I have a 10w3 I will sell you cheap it is a D4 though. PM if you are interested. It was only used for 7 months and is in perfect condtion.

Damn, too bad it's not a d6 :(

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I want it.

Yeah...check the resistance, you'll either get something insanely high, or 0. if you get either of those it's blown. If you bought it from an authorized dealer and it's warrantied you should be all good. If you didn't then it might be time to look at Resonant Engineering, Adire, and Elemental! :D

Well, if I do need to get new subs, will any of those plug in well to my current configuration: JL 500/1, sealed dual 10" box, about .75CF each side? I suppose I could get a new box as well.

BTW, who would have an ohm meter?

Yeah...go to the shack or even Home Depot ( I think ) and pick up a VMM or a DMM...both should be able to do Resistance.
As for the sub...Hmmm...is the box sealed half-way (did each speaker have it's own chamber)? That way you can just drop in any sub that'll fit in the hole...of course, I'd just replace it with the JL if you liked the sound, or just start over. BTW...you can wire a 4ohm sub to the other one in parallel, which would give you 6/2=3 and 4, 1/3 + 1/4 = 0.583 <~~~ take the inverse and you get ~1.7ohms, which your JL should be able to handle...I would only do that if I were in a pinch, though.

--EDIT--
Come on, 20$ for a great and very useful tool! :D

the box has a division in the center, but there's about a 3/8" hole drilled through it (presumably for passing wires through)

Well, I just went back outside and did the "non-scientific" test. There is indeed a grinding sound when pushed on :(
The good one does not make any sound.

Looks like I should start looking for a replacement...

(btw, I bought them used, so no warranty)

the thing about the division, it's good to have it there in case one sub blows, so that the other one isn't overpowered in a box that's too big. You can probably seal that 3/8" hole somehow, or just run wire through it and then seal it with caulk. :D

Hmm...as for another sub, try to get another of the same. Beyond that I need to know how much space you have to work with and what the power output of the amp was (note...*was*...if you hook up a 4 ohm in parallel, like I said, you'll have to adjust your gains again!).

Back