How To: Stop the P5 spoiler from rattling!

ChopstickHero

zoom zoom, eh?
Contributor
:
2003 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2000 Miata
HOW-TO: Stop the P5 spoiler from rattling!

Materials needed:

Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Deep socket (size 10 metric) and ratchet
Sharp Exacto Knife
Masking tape
3/16" thick weatherstripping
2 beers

1. Open hatch and locate the 4 plastic covers on the underside of the hatch

115_1522-vi.jpg

2. Wrap up your flat head screwdrive with masking tape and pop out the plastic covers. if it's cold, the plastic may crack or deform a little. but careful not to scratch up your paint (hence, using masking tape). Repeat for all 4 covers.

115_1523-vi.jpg

3. Use your phillips screwdriver to take out one screw. you should only need to take out one screw and leave the other screw in b/c it will swivel.

115_1524-vi.jpg

4. To detach the parking brake wire, pull out the wire and detach the little white clip.

115_1526-vi.jpg

5. Take your deep socket metric 10 size and ratchet to loosen and remove the bolts that attach the spoiler to the hatch. becareful not to drop them inside the hatch or else you'll have a b!tch of a time taking them out. if you do drop it, use a magnetic picker upper or a piece of wire with some tape attached to it. repeat for all 4 bolts.

115_1525-vi.jpg

6. There are 2 clips that attach the spoiler to the hatch. Remove the spoiler by pulling spoiler upward, away from the hatch. Also, there is a rubber grommet that prevents water from entering the hatch, wiggle it and pop that out too.

115_1538-vi.jpg

7. This is the part that rattles. The black plastic surrounding the brake light is the piece vibrating against the spoiler. Remove the 7 screws that hold this black plastic to the underside of the spoiler. There are actually more holes than screws (7 screws and 9 holes), so remember where the screws came from.

115_1527-vi.jpg

115_1528-vi.jpg

8. The weatherstripping that i used was 3/16" thickness. you could use a thinner one, but i wanted to be sure there would be enough dampening.

115_1531-vi.jpg

9. Cut the appropriate lengths of weatherstripping on each side of the brake light. tape them securely, making sure that the tape is evenly spaced and not sticking out anywhere.
115_1535-vi.jpg

115_1532-vi.jpg

115_1533-vi.jpg

10. You may find that when test fitting the black plastic and spoiler, the weatherstripping foam maybe a little thick. Begin to insert the screws and you will see that the weatherstripping will compress nicely between the black plastic and spoiler. do some test fitting so that the weather stripping fits correctly. make sure you tighten the screws on the brake light as well.

115_1534-vi.jpg

11. At this point, i used a sharp exacto knife and trimmed the weather stripping. it cuts very easily and i wanted a cleaner look.

115_1537-vi.jpg

115_1536-vi.jpg

Johnny5 being very helpful with the project and playing Vice City....

12. Before installing the spoiler back, make sure to clean the spoiler and hatch areas. Now install in the reverse order of removal.

13. Done! Now open your beers and blast some tunes and enjoy some of the bass instead of the damn spoiler rattle! I had NO spoiler rattle whatsoever .... but did hear some rattle in the bumper ... :crazy: ... but that's another How-To.

115_1539-vi.jpg

115_1540-vi.jpg

115_1541-vi.jpg

Johnny5 gives his seal of approval!

Nice write up. I'll have to check to see if I do have this rattle. I have other rattles that are more apparent that I yet have to tackle.

Great, easy to follow write-up. I haven't noticed a rattle in the spoiler... I'll have to crank the bass, get out of my car and listen for the rattle.

Thanks for the compliments. It was really easy to do.

I only have one 12" Alpine Type-S with about 200W RMS... and it rattles like a mofo!

after i got rid of the spoiler rattle, i found 2 other rattles in the bumper; one on the left side and one on the right side. apparently they are some kind of wind noise reducing hard rubber/plastic fins that are on the sides of the bumper. if you open your jack access, put your hand through that hole and you can feel it vibrating if you have your subs on. it'll be harder to get to this, but i'm gonna try soon.

Great write up on how to remove it.
I just applied a couple strips of dynamat to the inside back of mine and voila, no more rattle. Same idea, just removes the chance of that pos plastic from vibrating against the glass.

Last edited:
ottawaP5 said:
Shouldn't you drink the beers while working?

that could work too. but being 11am when i was working on this, i had to wait at least an hour... just to tell myself that i'm not an alcoholic... :D but the beers were flowing just after noon ... (drinks)

I had the same rattling....in the spoiler and inside of the bumpers! I got rid of my sub awhile back, but ill be getting some more....ill be sure to use this "How-To" to stop it.

good post i will be doin some work before long. thats my main rattle and all i have is 2 kicker comp 12's but gettin rid of them for 2 solo barics or 2 w6 12s. and im sure ill have a fe more after gettin them.

dang, i feel stoopid!! i just put up a thread on asking how to stop vibration in the wing!! sorry guys ill go delete it! thanks!!

peace....

gonna do it this weekend! the rattling is horrible!

chopstick hero...thanks alot! was thinking bout putiing the dynamat but well see! i also noticed a rattle on the right side of the rear bumber! real suttle tho, not as bad as the spoiler! but again thanks! ill let you know how it turned out! the liscense plate is a prob too! not a biggie tho! just the real deep bass songs! thinking bout using double sided tape to just hold but i dunno? got n-e-other ideas for this one?

niko said:
gonna do it this weekend! the rattling is horrible!

chopstick hero...thanks alot! was thinking bout putiing the dynamat but well see! i also noticed a rattle on the right side of the rear bumber! real suttle tho, not as bad as the spoiler! but again thanks! ill let you know how it turned out! the liscense plate is a prob too! not a biggie tho! just the real deep bass songs! thinking bout using double sided tape to just hold but i dunno? got n-e-other ideas for this one?

yeah those flaps at the side are hard rubber flaps that help with trunk ventilation. you could remove your bumper and try to glue or add some weather stripping there to prevent them from vibrating.

thasnk! ill go check into that! i also noticed a rattle UNDER my car! hows that one! haha!

Latest posts

Back