Mazda's response re: Mazda performance parts

WillisW555

:
2003.5 MSP
I don't know if this has been said on here or not. I'm still a relative noob (1-2 months on this site). I just thought instead of waiting, I'd ask Mazda what's up on additional parts for our cars. Maybe if more people speak up then we can get somewhere.

I sent this e-mail:
Can you tell me if Mazda/Mazdaspeed will coming out with 'aftermarket' type parts? I thought Mazda had plans to put out products similar to the Factory Performance line for Acura, Nismo for Nissan, PVO for Dodge, TRD for toyota, L-series for Lexus, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Mazdaspeed Protege is great, but there are a few areas that could use a little bit of work. There is a potential market for well tuned ECU. Even after the 'flash' there are stumbling and hesitation problems. This would greatly enhance drivability and customer satisfaction as true aftermarket parts would make owners susceptible to losing their new car warranty. Thank you for your time. I appreciate any comments you could provide.

This is the response: (blarf)
At this time, Mazda has no plans of producing a a different ECU or anything along the lines of performance parts. However, it is possible we may come out with something along these lines in future.

I am pleased you took the time to bring your suggestion regarding performance parts to our attention. Consumer feedback is always very important to Mazda. Certainly, we want to offer exciting vehicles, and comments such as yours help us to achieve that goal.

Rest assured I have documented your suggestion for our corporate record. These records are continuously being reviewed by our Product Planning Department in an effort to provide only the highest quality products to our customers.

"At this time, Mazda has no plans of producing a a different ECU"
translation: we only produced a relatively few MSP, so **** off

However, it is possible we may come out with something along these lines in future.
translation: we arent coming out with s*** for you

I am pleased you took the time to bring your suggestion regarding performance parts to our attention. Consumer feedback is always very important to Mazda. Certainly, we want to offer exciting vehicles, and comments such as yours help us to achieve that goal.
translation: we'll fix the problem on the next model we build, and hopefully, you'll buy that one too

Rest assured I have documented your suggestion for our corporate record
translation: we threw your suggestion in the trash, along with every one elses who owns a MSP

These records are continuously being reviewed by our Product Planning Department in an effort to provide only the highest quality products to our customers.
translation: thanks for helping the next line of people who buy our cars... or, you're not a customer after you buy the car...

cochizzle,

I think you are being a bit harsh.

I think Mazda has done an exceptional job in supporting the Mazdaspeed community. Granted that the problems that were in our cars from the factory is less than acceptable. The fact that they spent time to make fixes for the very VERY small, and unprofitable community such as ours impresses me.

The fact that they acknowldeged the clunk / hesitation at all says something.

tbl said:

I think Mazda has done an exceptional job in supporting the Mazdaspeed community. Granted that the problems that were in our cars from the factory is less than acceptable. The fact that they spent time to make fixes for the very VERY small, and unprofitable community such as ours impresses me.

The fact that they acknowldeged the clunk / hesitation at all says something.

This is where you are wrong. Mazda Realized that we. the core auto enthusiast, drive thier regular car sales. People se us driving the limited ediotn cars, and ask us ???, then visit the dealer to check out thier full lineup.

If our needs are not met, it gets out, and quick. (look at this forum forinstance. Mazda trolls this forum constantly) and if our issues are not fixed, no matter how minor(at least to you, I spent 20k on this car, it better be a 20k car and have NO problems) that hurts Mazda sales. :D

Especially when you have people like myself, and others, who are deeply embedded into the sport compact, or automotive industry as a whole. driving mazdas, Mazda does not want to piss us off, as we know many many many people, who will be more then willing to spread the word, of how much of a substandard product Mazda HAS delivered. :D

i have leaned that you do not want to purchase aftermarket parts from the dealer.. it tends to cause more problems.. im most cases they will void your warrenty when that happens. thus buy elsewhere.. so u can put the stock piece back on.. if u get it at a dealer they will keep your stock piece and you get screwed

werd. Mazda has stepped up to the plate with the MSP and finally(or so it appears) has created a a decent bushing, one that should have been released in 2001. They addressed the hesitation with an ecu-reflash, which has cured MOST of the issues. Mazda done good.

mx3ownzj00 said:
werd. Mazda has stepped up to the plate with the MSP and finally(or so it appears) has created a a decent bushing, one that should have been released in 2001. They addressed the hesitation with an ecu-reflash, which has cured MOST of the issues. Mazda done good.

Modifying cars is fun. My whole point was that factory authorized part would not void your warranty (like a dealer installed TRD supercharger) Yeah it costs more, but you still have your warranty.

Also, the drivability of the MSP leaves a bit to be desired.

as for maxda u can get a Turbo Timer there but they told me that it would void the warrenty sincde it did not come stock with the car.

Cochizzle and boostisgood hit the nail on the head. I'm really getting tired of listening to excuse-makers on this board who want to give Mazda a free pass for the mistakes they made in designing our car. Make no mistake, I do really like my MSP, but i am concerned about the long term issues this car is probably going to have. Haven't you all heard of the rights of the consumer?

I have read Many Many threads about how Mazda this and Mazda that! I believe that Mazda has made an Outstanding product, No Question about it. the MSP is a High performance vehicle. I have owned several cars and modded them heavily. I would very much like to see someone with another car that has done similar modifications to the car and NOT have any issues at all with it. If anyone bought this car expecting it to last "longterm" (It varies with everyone. for me it's 3 -5 years, for others that maybe 10 years) or not have issues with it, prob doesn't have much experience (no offense intended, just an observation). With a stiff a$$ suspension and a bolt on turbo!!!! Come On. Do that to a civic or any car and tell me if you have issues.

Bottom line: from my experience in buying cars Mazda has shown Great customer service. It isn't the how many problems or issues the car has but how the Manufacturer handles it. I don't recall honda replacing bushings in the late 90's Si because it "clunked"

Last edited:
I have to concur with Himoura. The Dealership/service dept has payed particular attention to me. They have dealt with all my issues promptly and with a smile. I absolutely can't believe that I am getting this level of service on a ~15k-20k car. Even though I have had my share of problems, I expected a few on a first run car. And mazda has dealt with issues well IMHO. I still have a few concerns but Mazda does offer an excellent warranty.

The *ONLY* concern I have now is that I want to mod the car "I know this will void the warranty" but I want everything to be right first and its not yet. I have owned Turbo cars before, infact I still own a 300zxt with 168k miles. And I have never heard a turbo squeel like my MSP does. I am concerned about additional boost and this issue particularly.

I completely agree with cochizzle and boostisgood.

After seeing what I've seen.....matter of fact they said it so well I do need to add anything else.

Another vote for Boostisgood and Cochizzle!
I can honestly say that it would take a prayer, a miracle, a saint, and a parting of the Red Sea by magical means only to have me buy another Mazda!

This is what I don't get...you all knew it was just a protege with a turbo and stiff suspension before you got it. you all knew it was limited production. you all knew it was the first turbo they'd done in like 5 years, and the first turbo on a Protege motor....why exactly did you think that this would be a flawless car?!?! Just thank God that the damn thing doesn't light on f'n fire, like some first year cars.

I also don't think that this product is a fair benchmark for Mazda 1st year cars. My father has a Tribute that's been perfect since he got it. Many people are extemely happy with their 6 and the 3 looks to be a really good car.

newf said:
I completely agree with cochizzle and boostisgood.

After seeing what I've seen.....matter of fact they said it so well I do need to add anything else.

If everything is so substandard, and the MSP has so many problems .... ******* SELL IT. QUIT BITCHING. I've never seen 3rd Gen RX-7 owners with blown motors and dead turbos b**** as much as you MSP guys, and the car cost 12 grand more. ******* grow up. Get ******* used to it, its the automobile industry and unless you buy a 1.6 liter Honda quit bitching about reliability.

BinaryRotary said:
If everything is so substandard, and the MSP has so many problems .... ******* SELL IT. QUIT BITCHING. I've never seen 3rd Gen RX-7 owners with blown motors and dead turbos b**** as much as you MSP guys, and the car cost 12 grand more. ******* grow up. Get ******* used to it, its the automobile industry and unless you buy a 1.6 liter Honda quit bitching about reliability.

(stupid)

servoeyes said:
This is what I don't get...you all knew it was just a protege with a turbo and stiff suspension before you got it. you all knew it was limited production. you all knew it was the first turbo they'd done in like 5 years, and the first turbo on a Protege motor....why exactly did you think that this would be a flawless car?!?! Just thank God that the damn thing doesn't light on f'n fire, like some first year cars.

I also don't think that this product is a fair benchmark for Mazda 1st year cars. My father has a Tribute that's been perfect since he got it. Many people are extemely happy with their 6 and the 3 looks to be a really good car.

I knew what I was buying. I just didn't know how crappy the company was! For the price the car is great. I have no problem with that. I do however have a problem with MAZDA! I just don't like THEM!
That is my main beef! Nothing more nothing less. I don't really b**** on here either about most things. Hell I really don't get on here much anymore to tell the truth. Too much bs with everything! I never thought it would be a flawless car, but I do expect a company to stand up for its product and some what give a s***!
Plus I don't want Mazda's newer stuff due to FORD!
Maybe some of Mazda's older stuff is great. I have no idea. I didn't own a Mazda before now. I also am not judging them mainly on this car. I am judging them on knowledge of product (at customer service level/sales level/dealer level), on warranty level (hahhahahahah warranty!), on helpfulness (HAHAHAHAH), on pure insight (HEHEHEEHEHEHE) and above all else respect of customers (yes a little different then customer service - this is Corporate).
I think people have a right to be a little cynical about an email from Mazda. I find it hilarious what Cochizzle said.
So I hope that clears up some of my feelings. It is more about the company than the car right now for me!

I agree with you about the bitching and BS...that's why I tend to stick to the Audio section and anywhere but MSP-zone, but I have the car, so I have to come around sometimes!

Anywho...you're right, people have the right to be cynical... especially about the company. I would never say everything they put out is gold, but in the same right...they march to the beat of a different drummer. Ford seems like they won't be trying to step on Mazda's toes as often now (no SVT focus any more...it's gonna be all luxury, and the regular focus is aimed at a differnt buyer group). I think that they realized that Mazda has niche buyers... people who like fun to drive cars that are more reliable than US counterparts, and less expensive than Japanesse counterparts. I'm sure they'll do well...as for the way they treated this...well, it would be naive of us to consider that money is not at the heart of the matter, right?

Dealer relations, though could be better nationwide, but it's all about personal experience. My dealer has been really cool with me. Even offered a test drive of the 8 last time I was in for MSP service.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Like me I hate toyota! No questions about it. I only like the Supra. I am a huge Mazda Fan they do good stuff alot of the race and show events are sponsored by them, they are about performance. I would be the first one to gripe if Mazda F#$% up. I agree with

servoeyes

This is the First Mazdaspeed in the lineup and we ALL knew it woudln't be without trouble, if you did then .....ur dumb. (;) ) I am glad I have a car that if I hear a noise they WILL fix it. They actually put up TSB's for things that I have not seen in other manufacturers. I love my MSP and and I can vouch that my service from both the dealership(s) and Mazda Co have been great!!

Back