How To: Kill Door Chime

thats the other way, but then your courtesy lights don't come on when you take the key out (or turn it off... what ever)

i did it the other way couldn't get the wire to seperate, got the s****, and just cut the wire leaving enough room to re-attach(why?? i dunno)

worked good!!!

so there are 2 ways to stop this thing one from the top other from the bottom right?

Togan said:
so there are 2 ways to stop this thing one from the top other from the bottom right?

yea, and as ahb11m said, if you do it from the bottom, your courtesy lights don't come on when you take the key out (or turn it off... what ever), so you better do it from the top. Took me about 10 minutes to acomplish this. All you are doing is just pulling one wire out of the harness, and no your car will not explode (smoke)

P.S. Togan (poke) post ***** (hah)

Protege wuv!

Hmm, I didn't realize the courtesy lights don't activate.

Hmm, so I guess I will be going back and doing it the other way anyways.

/Edit: Ok, well I went out and re-did it the original way.
Took 20 minutes, including re-connecting the other connector.

Last edited:
DiS said:
yea, and as ahb11m said, if you do it from the bottom, your courtesy lights don't come on when you take the key out (or turn it off... what ever), so you better do it from the top. Took me about 10 minutes to acomplish this. All you are doing is just pulling one wire out of the harness, and no your car will not explode (smoke)

P.S. Togan (poke) post ***** (hah)

Protege wuv!
hey why u callin me pw when UR keep jacking the thread? (uhm)

OR another way to do it is...

1) open the driver door

2) sit in ur car turn on the music

3) take ur index finger

4) push it against the rubber nipple, hold it there and listen to music!

(lol)

Togan said:
hey why u callin me pw when UR keep jacking the thread? (uhm)

OR another way to do it is...

1) open the driver door

2) sit in ur car turn on the music

3) take ur index finger

4) push it against the rubber nipple, hold it there and listen to music!

(lol)

(hah) thats a good one!

Oh speaking of post *****... Im just trying to intimidate you! After all, thats what I do at my job

togan, if you use that methos you may as well just open your windows instead.... just hope your not working on the door!!!

nono i will do this, i was jk.. im tired of that chime i just wanna find that beeping device and rip it out so bad

On my 2000 protege ES I just turn the key to on (without starting) and the beep goes away after about 10-15 seconds with any doors open. This not the same for the 5 or MSP?

You don't want to leave the key in "on" without the engine running. This can kill your fuel pump. We're talking about the key in "Acc".

Not to mention drain your battery very fast, as all the car's electronics are on.

ACC is just the radio and 12volt plug I think.

ZapWizard said:
Not to mention drain your battery very fast, as all the car's electronics are on.

ACC is just the radio and 12volt plug I think.

Hey all

I tried it today but my car wouldn't start once I unplugged it. Is it possible that this can interfere with a kill-switch or anti-start device installed?

Mike

fantastic mate thank you so much. 40 minutes passed and I couldn't coax the little bastard out... so i cut it and it's bliss :D

Good riddance to bad rubbish

lol, I almost did the same thing. :D
Just make sure the wires's got a piece of tape on it so it doesn't ground out, and you're set. (thumb)

By the way...
WELCOME.JPG

to the club! (drinks)

ChopstickHero said:
easier way to do this.

1. Remove the three screws that are under the steering column.

2. Raise the tilt on the steering wheel.

3. Reach towards the lower back piece and pull (pretty tough) down. This will separate the bottom from the top piece of plastic on the steering column.

4. Once you remove the plastic coverings you will see the innards of the steering column. Look at the keyhole. To the lower right of it just 1.5'' away you will see a clip that inserts itself vertically. Depress the lock on the right side of it and pull the switch out (downward direction). Your beeping will now stop!

I don't recommend you cut any wires.... You may deploy an airbag! LOL But it can happen I guess.

Oh and one more step:

5. Replace all the panels.

this was done on a 2002 Protege5, Canadian model. should be the same for US model too.

Just did this on 2003.5 p5. I tried to do it through the gauge cluster, but no go.. I have the alarm light thingy (stock) stuck threw it, so the wire would have to be cut to pull the trim piece out.
Pulling the steering column cover apart worked fine though.
Thanks!

where is the actual device that makes the beep? i just want to muffle it so i cant hear it over music, but i dont wanna mess with wires.

Back