How To: Kill Door Chime

No. All it will do is disable the door chime. The interior light, headlight alert, etc will still work as always . :)

just a note...the number of wires is different because of side airbags/abs/auto tranny....you have that many more lights to come on and tell you "you're ******."

Natey, I have to say you are rapidly becoming one of the premier How-to members on this board and I'd just like to say thanks. So um....thanks. Nah seriously I think we should have an award given to the most helpful members on the board. I vote we call it the Dave B award. lol. Ok, end of thread jack.

Awesome little mod. That door chime has been bugging me for ages and its gone now for good! Thanks Natey! :)

Took 15 min to do. The Aussie version of the P5 (SP20) has the wires arranged a little differently, but the door chime wire is in the same spot. Good stuff!

v. cool, before i rip that open again, does anyone know which pin is used for the fog light indicator.... i want to hook that in at the same time....

oh man I cant wait till its gonna get warm outside so I can do this! Very very VERY well explained! Props!! (yes)

Woohoo, NO MORE CHIME!!! (nana) Great How To! Took me about 10 minutes for the whole process.

Pirana's the man! (rockon)
Sorry about Imagestation. The pics that aren't up will be back soon. I'll just upload them here.

EDIT: Pics are back up! (drinks)

Last edited:
oh and by the way I had only 3 wires in that plug, Pirana is the man with the plan (poke)

ok those instructions did seem easy but i cant dare do it lol

aww man i really hate it when i cant stretch my legs out and listen to some music :(

Togan said:
aww man i really hate it when i cant stretch my legs out and listen to some music :(

LOL, if you want to drive to New Jersey Ill do it for you (poke)

DiS said:
LOL, if you want to drive to New Jersey Ill do it for you (poke)
im in canada but im international student meaning i dont have US visa, but if u can drive down to richmond bc i can show u around :D

ok might stupid but would the dealer do it if i asked them? or will they go like "noooooo we cant, thats a standard in the car we cant alter that" some bs like that..

Togan said:
ok might stupid but would the dealer do it if i asked them? or will they go like "noooooo we cant, thats a standard in the car we cant alter that" some bs like that..

yea dealer will piss on that request

ZapWizard said:
I will be doing this soon,
I will try and post a guide of the "easy way" post.
Mabye that will help.
that would help alot, im worried about screwing up the speed gauges :D i'll be like "hey dealer im sorry i intended to unplug the chime, but i screwed up the speedometer, could u fix this?" ---how embarrasing

Pirana and Natey, you guys are my frickin' heroes.(rockon) That thing has bothered me since the day I bought my car. Very easy to do, my god, I'm so frickin' happy.. Togan, don't worry, if a retard like me can do it, you can. Getting the wire out of the harness was a little tough, but woo frickin' hoo.
Anyway, I was wondering. If you disconnect the three wiring harnesses, does the gauge cluster just come out? Is there a speedo cable or anything like that?

Here you go, a guide for the easy way to do this mod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Pirana, Natey, and ChopstickHero for the original info.

steering.jpg

The only tool I needed was a Philips screwdriver.

under.jpg

First raise the steering wheel to its highest point

screws.jpg

Locate and remove the three screws holding the casing together.

pull.jpg

pulling.jpg

Pull the release lever out of the way. Then pull the casing apart by pulling down on the back of the casing.

Connector.jpg

Once open locate the key-assembly, and the small two pin connector vertically plugged into the assembly.

It has a blue wire and white wire.

Connector-Pulled.jpg

Pull this connector out.

I did this entire mod with the power on, and the chime running.
The second I pulled this out my chime stopped.
(I had to use my inverter to power the camera, as I couldn't find any damn batteries)

under.jpg

Put the casing back together.

And the screws back in their places.

(Black screw is towards front of car)

steering.jpg

Done, feel free to blast your music with your doors open.

This took me less then 10 minutes to complete, including taking pictures.

The hardest part was that the little green filter on the key-light fell out and it was hard to get to stay back in place.

Back