How To: Kill Door Chime

Natey

Contributor
Patron
How-To: Kill Door Chime

1st things 1st. Thanks to Pirana for the original info on this mod. (thumb)
This'll work on all 3rd Gen Proteges. ;) This little trick is easy, completely reversible, and IMO well worth the 20 minutes it takes to complete.

On with the show...
Here's the tools you'll need:
-A phillips head screwdriver(preferrably a short one)
-A small flat-head screwdriver
-The smallest alan wrench you have, or something similar to pry the wire out of the connector.
-A small rag to protect your steering column
-A piece of tape
fa4ab3ca[1].jpg

You'll need to take out your gauge cluster for this job. If you've installed DaveB's gauge rings, you know how easy this is. :)
Tilt your steering wheel all the way down to it's lowest setting. Unscrew the two phillips head screws at the top of the plastic trim surrounding the cluster.
fa4ab74a.jpg

Now pull out on the two corners of the bottom half of the plastic piece. Pull straight out toward the rear of the car, being careful of your steering column. It's easy to scratch!
fa4ab6ad[1].jpg

Once the surround is off, you'll need to unscrew three phillips head screws. If your gauges were a clock face, the screws would be positioned at twelve, five and seven o'clock(don't worry about the one on the bottom-middle).
fa4ab648[1].jpg

Pull out on the top of the gauge cluster. Be careful of the steering column!! If you haven't covered it with the rag, do it now. The lower tabs on the cluster are really jagged and the steering column is soft plastic...not a good combo.
fa4ab428[1].jpg

Now the wiring harness on the top of the cluster is exposed. Push in on the tab while pulling up on the connector to take off the plug farthest to your left.
fa4ab59d.jpg

Once you've got the connector out. It's time to unplug the white wire. Pirana's was white with a green stripe, and mine was white with grey spots/markings. Either way, it's the wire that's located top-center-right. It's the fifth wire from the top-left side of the connector & it's white.
fa4ab553[1].jpg

Use the small flat-head to pry the orange strip of plastic up a little to unlock the wires from the connector. Easy does it!
fa4ab9ca.jpg

OK. Here's the part that can get a little frustrating. Look into the end of the plug that the wires do NOT come out of. See the little plastic "tongue" that's holding the wire into place? You have to push down on that tongue while pulling out on the white wire on the other end of the connector. Stick the alan wrench(or any other really small tool, maybe a large sewing needle?) into the end of the connector that the wire does not come out of, and work on the wire with the other hand.
Patience, Young Jedi!(strike)
fa4ab50f[1].jpg

When you get the white wire out of the connector, pat yourself on the back. That was a b****.
fa4ab8f3[1].jpg

Now, all you need to do is put some tape around the metal part of the wire you disconnected to keep it from grounding out on anything, and put your gauges back together.
fa4ab7a2.jpg

You're done! The door chime is gone forever! Feel free to open your doors and listen to some music! (drinks)

If your plug looks any wayother than the pics, just disconnect the white wire that's located top-center-right. It's the fifth wire from the top-left side of the plug & it should be white with some kind of markings.

Last edited:
easier way to do this.

1. Remove the three screws that are under the steering column.

2. Raise the tilt on the steering wheel.

3. Reach towards the lower back piece and pull (pretty tough) down. This will separate the bottom from the top piece of plastic on the steering column.

4. Once you remove the plastic coverings you will see the innards of the steering column. Look at the keyhole. To the lower right of it just 1.5'' away you will see a clip that inserts itself vertically. Depress the lock on the right side of it and pull the switch out (downward direction). Your beeping will now stop!

I don't recommend you cut any wires.... You may deploy an airbag! LOL But it can happen I guess.

Oh and one more step:

5. Replace all the panels.

this was done on a 2002 Protege5, Canadian model. should be the same for US model too.

Mods,
Wanna put this in the How-To forum? I looked forever to find Pirana's write up for this, and it had no pics. IMO, This is a cool, easy little trick.

Thanks!(drive)

Yeah in the beginning there wasnt to much interest in doing the mod, so I took the pics down to save space. But you have done a great job (thumb)

*** need help please ***

i'm trying to follow the how-to on killing the door chime but i've ran into a problem. can someone please direct me on which white wire to remove from this pic

310236_144_full.jpg

Its probably on the other side of that plug. cant see it but is should be a white/green on the fifth slot.

Nathan,
It looks to me as if you may have disconnected the wrong plug. The plug that the door-chime is in only has 4 wires coming out of it. It's all the way to your left when you pull out the gauge cluster.

In this pic, it looks like the plug you pulled is right next to the one I pulled out.
fa4ab59d.jpg

Your pic:
310236_144_full.jpg

If I'm wrong, will you please post a pic of the top of your cluster with all the plugs? Thanks. :)

Is there a white wire coming out of the top-center-right hole(the one that's 5th from the left)? If so, that's the culprit.

Sorry for the confusion.(doh)

it is done

just finished and wanted to say thanks to nate and vic for all of their help. it is the white wire in the 5th location for anyone else who has a harness like mine. it took a little patience and some coaxing but it came out fairly easy. silence is truly golden

Im doing this tonight and the foglight mod if I have time, I really like having the fogs on with the parking lights.

I want to do this mod but i got a question first, will doing this mod disable the "chime alert" when your forget to turn the lights off when removing keys (wich is very usefull for me since i forget to close the light almots every night)

Thanks

Back