In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338

Thread: Ughh!!!

MSP & MS3

Ughh!!!

Put snow tires on yesterday... (185/65/15's) HOLY SHIT they suck (in dry conditions at least) I kind've expected it to be bad... but this is ridiculous!! couldn't drive over 60mph without feeling as if the car was going to do a freakin 180!!! Is this normal or what? I'll deal with it (assuming the traction in the snow is good) because... well... dying sucks! I don't know... I shouldn't bitch!! One thing's for sure... I no longer take the Potenzas for granted!! in a weird way, having these tires will actually increase my love for this car (it'll feel like a freakin ferrari once the weather gets nicer)

anywayz... thanks for letting me vent! feel better now... L8R

2002 Silver Protege 5

I have 195/55/15 on my P5 and sure, the handling isn't nearly as good as when I have my Kumho 712's on but, it sure doesn't seem like I am going to do a 180 when I get up to speed. Perhaps the sidewall of your tire is too tall? I know that the side walls on my Toyo winters definatley feels softer than what I am used to.

09 TDI | 13 Focus ST

bit more info, bro...
    what brand, model and size of tire do you run in the summer?
    what's the brand and model of your winter tire?

MSP & MS3

well I have the stock MSP tires and wheels... (215/45/17 Potenzas) now I have 185/65/15 green diamond winter tires www.greendiamondtire.com heard a lot of good things about these tires... maybe I made a mistake being "cheap" I don't know... guess I'll be wakin up a bit earlier for the next few months.

2003 Protege5 Alumni Action Jackson's Avatar
    Donated: $15

I've had the Kumho KW-11's on an older Civic. Great in the deep snow. Not too good on ice. Absolutely crappy in the dry. I had enough of that type of snowtire.

That's why I spent the extra $$ for my snows. I read that they're great in the dry [which they are] than your average snow tire.

In certain situations they're better than the stock Dunlops but that's just MHO.

If the snow hits, I'm not going that fast anyways and since they're snowtires, I shouldn't have any problems compared to 3 season tires.
    2000 Integra GS Champagne Beige Metallic 5 spd SOLD
    2003 Protege5 Midnight Blue 5 spd RIP

02 Protege ES Sand Mica

I actually went really cheap with the pacemark 210/55/16 and have been pretty happy with them except on hard cornering on wet pavement- and only $50/tire
    02 Sand Mica ES
    Brembo Rotors:Kumho Tires:Goldline Springs:SRI:Strut Tower Brace:Gunmetal Rims:Redline MT-90:Mobile1:K&N:NGK Extended Reach:Magnaflow Exhaust:Kartboy Shifter Bushings:Kartboy Exhaust Hangers(on order)

1132 AMERICAN SOLDIERS!!!!!! have lost their lives in Iraq- OMG! We are hitting 100/month!! When will it end?
    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
    In addition to american lives being lost, the Iraqi people are paying the price of this war in blood- when will the madness stop?