Warranty Issues?

Snowman

A quick note on the reoccuring comments regarding turbochargers and warranty denials. As per legislation passed in the late 70's, the Magnusson-Moss Act prevents manufacturers like Mazda from denying warranty claims from folks like us.

In more precise terms, the act says that a manufacturers cannot deny a warranty claim from a consumer on grounds of modification to the vehicle. Mazda cannot simply deny a warranty claim beacuse you have an intake, exhaust or a turbo for that matter. They have to prove in writing that the modification had a direct cause and effect relationship on the part that failed.

For instance, lets say you have a 2002 P5 turbocharged and intercooled. You go out for a drive one afternoon and notice that the A/C has gone out. Barring any tampering to the A/C system during install the car and part can be claimed under the manufacturers warranty turbocharged or not. On the other hand, if you go in becuase you put a rod through the block after pushing 14lbs of boost it would be reasonable for them to make a case against you.

Don't let the dealerships beat you up!

Mike

Thanks. Now when the dealership comments on my aftermarket intake and how it voids the warranty I can state the Magnusson-Moss act.

what you said is true, BUT the dealership as well as mazda corporate will make you wait forever to take any action. My car sat at the dealership for a month and they didnt do a damn thing. i got tired of waiting so i decided to do the rebuild my self (through an ase certified mechanic who used to be a mechanic at mazda). After my motor is built I am going after mazda for damages. It helps that my father is a lawyer as well with friends in very high places.

It is ridiculous to make a customer who just spent 21K on a brand new car to wait until they give up.

Mazda is all about the waiting game. If you have the patience and money to pursue it, go right ahead. Unfortunately many of us dont.

This holds especially true for instances where new engines or very expensive parts are needed for the repair.

-B

I know a guy who got a dealership to get their collective buts in gear down in Texas. his car took a crapper and was under warranty. The dealership refused so he took matter into his own hands. He had the tow truck park his car across the street with a highly used interstate inbetween and held a sign on his lunch hour and after work stating that they sold him a lemon. The dealership first called the cops who told him its a public road that he is on and then they decided to pay for the repairs. Bad public press is a wonderful thing. This happened in Austin Texas so think of how many people saw that sign.

hmmm sounds like an interesting idea...

but for huge repairs, an engine persay, a mazda rep has to come inspect the vehicle and give the go ahead to pursue the fix.

Sometimes it isnt the dealership, it is corporate.

-B

warranties

Thats true about the waiting game...and it sucks that we have to be bullied that way. I ended up having paying a local attourney to throw some big words at them and put some of it in writing and that helped speed things along. I was dealing with Ford on the other hand, who seems to embrace the aftermarket a little more willingly than Mazda.

Back