MS Miata flyer

The arguments about whether a Miata is girly or not is dumb overall...The only guys that get pissed about someone saying that are guys that own them...and they then try to justify the fact that they are male, and other people feel they drive a chick's car...

Face it, Miata's do not look agressive...They have cute front ends, mild fender flares with simple curves and skinny tires...Even modded I would not say they look mean or masculine...But they look purposeful and functional overall...They don't look like a terd on wheels, they just simply don't give an impretion of masculinity...in the slightest...

Now the comment about the Boxter being a Porsche with panties (from the supranos) sums it up exactly...IT IS...It is slower than any current porsche, it is around half the price of the 911, and it looks no where near as intimidating as a GT-2...I don't care about what it handles like, or what it is capable of...the interior is crap, and the materials in a TT are twice as more expensive looking and feeling...and the exterior of the Boxster just looks feminine to me...I never felt that way about an M roadster though, or even the Z3 2.8/3.0...

But none of this matters anyway...No one should give a s*** if someone thinks their car is girly...It will outrun tons of cars in the turns, and has decent power for its weight...It does not drive "girly"...and that is what is important to me...

I wouldn't buy the MSM for practicality issues...I would save a few more grand and get a 4 door EVO and leave it at that...But I love miatas for their handling and RWD...I never was to fond of the styling, but that wouldn't keep me from owning one if I found a used one for a good price and already had a daily driver...

chri3 said:
You, sir are an uninformed asshat who apparently needs a car that adds to his manlyhood, or lack thereof.

I have personally driven with subarus, evos, and many other cars of that nature, and lets just say their $30K beasts with plenty of mods were having a hard time, or were unable to keep up with my miata. My 1.6L engine is stock. If you have to worry about people thinking you're less of a man because of the car you drive...then you must not be able to drive well, cause it's not what you driive, but how you drive it.

you=ricer, homophobe, wangfully-challenged asshat:D

This is ridiculous...an EVO will have no trouble destroying a 91 stock miata on any front...besides the obvious acceleration s***, it will handle better, brake better and everything else unless your miata isn't stock...You may have him on insanely tight tracks that require extremely lightweight manuevers to get around...But on any public mountain road, the old adage of "power doesn't matter if you don't have handling"/"handling is more important than engine output" does not apply to this one...It very well does matter when the other guy has both...

You would be the one in no way keeping up with the EVO, and my guess is in any situation...

Suby's don't apply as much...they don't have the chassis/suspension power of the mitsu...so you may have given it to them, I don't know...

I do agree though that it would take a small set of nuts to not buy a car because you think it looks, and therefor makes you look girly...SUV drivers have the same problem...Tiny b**** men buy them and think they look tough...they don't...

it's not that it doesn't project masculinity, it's the fact that he's calling it girly. i knoe it's not the most aggressive looking car in the world, and i like that because u can always sneak up on people.

and the boxster...the rear kinda reminds me of a woman's legs and butt

jflo said:
it's not that it doesn't project masculinity, it's the fact that he's calling it girly. i knoe it's not the most aggressive looking car in the world, and i like that because u can always sneak up on people.

and the boxster...the rear kinda reminds me of a woman's legs and butt

Very good point...i never really looked at it that way...

To me, I always correlated aggressive styling with "manliness"...But I guess a beetle with huge fenders and big ass tires would still be chicky...

Either way I still like miatas...A lot of people don't, but they also never drove one...I don't love it because of the stlying, but because of the fun of driving it...

and with the Boxster: yeah man I agree...And not just the styling makes it a panty wearing porsche...it is everything about it...It falls short in every category of the "real" porsches, except maybe the Cayenne...To me it is in the same category as the original 924 and 944's years ago...They sucked for a while, but then Porsche gave the 944 chassis a hairy swingin' set of big balls with the 944 Turbo...which is an awesome car...But I never liked the Boxster, not even the S...Not the styling, not the engine, and not the whole package...I drove one a few years ago, and it did handle amazing...but not to make up for the fact that it feels and looks like a crap way to get a true exotic on a budget...there is no way to do that...So they can't do anything with it other than change the entire styling, give it a real roof, and a turbo option to get me to want one...

The above post probably contradicts itself a little...I like the miata because of how fun it is to drive...and the boxster is also fun to drive...But Mazda is not Porsche......I loved the 911 since forever, it was and is expensive and requires a driver that knows what the hell he is doing in order to pilot it safely and quickly...The boxster to me just seems like a knock off porsche built by a lesser company, and that Porsche overall is tying to appeal to a larger market...They are doing just that, with the return of a GT model, a smoother V-8 powered next gen 911, and there already released Cayenne...

I don't like how Porsche is turning into just another company that makes cars for every person that has a huge income...I like their old marketing...in which they were a small company that built hellish performance cars, sold them for a lot of money, and didn't worry about what every person was looking for...Back then it was "if you don't like the on paper horrible idea behind the 911's drivetrain location...buy something else"...Now it is turning into "If you don't like the 911, we have our panty waist boxster or if you have the kids with you...why not an SUV?"...

Sorry about the rant...returning to topic...Miatas are cool...

Last edited:
Installshield 2 said:
To me it is in the same category as the original 924 and 944's years ago...They sucked for a while, but then Porsche gave the 944 chassis a hairy swingin' set of big balls with the 944 Turbo...which is an awesome car

HAHAHA hairy swingin' set of big balls. (rofl) (lol2)

i think my dad drove a 944 once 'cause my aunt was a used car dealer and she'd get the occassional porsche. it was okae, but whack. also a 914...the really small porsche with the thin side markers and profile. it was meh. i remember we had a 928 for a lil' bit while my dad's 911 turbo was in the shop. that was an okae car. the only reason y i liked it 'cause the headlights look cool to me. the champ of 'em all was that pimp 911 turbo...ahh i miss it.

pics of the car and me...hahahaha

dsc02936.jpg

dsc02937.jpg

^ eric estrada says, "you're a HOMO"
dsc02938.jpg

dsc02939.jpg

hahahahha

sorry for the bad pic quality...they're in a photo album. but yeah...miata's are sweet lil' cars...

Last edited:
Damn, what year turbo?...

My dad owned a few Porsche's when I was really little...before they got ridiculous expensive...He had a used 911, a used 928, a new 928, and then a new 911...through a period of about 4 years...I was only alive when he had the 911, which was an 83 Targa I believe...but he sold it before I was 4 years old (that was the one he kept the longest by far)...My uncle bought the new 928 off of him about 3 months after he got it...and my uncle still has it...

I like the 928's a lot, especially the S versions or newer...The V-8's are nuts...Not huge amounts of power like the Turbo's, but excellent response and awesome lowend torque...I hope to buy that old terd from my uncle after I am out of school...In almost 21 years it has only 22,000 miles on it, but it is still only worth like 6 grand...It would be fun to mod a little, but a flywheel for it is like 4,000 clams...so it probably won't get much attention unless I have a pot of cash to burn

jflo said:
HAHAHA hairy swingin' set of big balls. (rofl) (lol2)

i think my dad drove a 944 once 'cause my aunt was a used car dealer and she'd get the occassional porsche. it was okae, but whack. also a 914...the really small porsche with the thin side markers and profile. it was meh. i remember we had a 928 for a lil' bit while my dad's 911 turbo was in the shop. that was an okae car. the only reason y i liked it 'cause the headlights look cool to me. the champ of 'em all was that pimp 911 turbo...ahh i miss it.

oh yeah I forgot about the 914's...They are silly looking aren't they? They almost look the same from front to back, if you put the steering wheel backwards in the inside and reversed the seats you wouldn't even know anything was wrong from the outside...

I have seen a few of those things with 3.2L flat 6 930 powertrains in them...Something like 245bhp/266lb/ft of torque in a roughly 1800lb car, so it has some potential...but still goofy looking...

Also there was a guy on the Pclub that owned one, and was swapping something like a 993 aircooled twin turbo engine(911 turbo engine, but a little older than the newest models...400bhp/415lb/ft of torque)...so he said...I never saw pics, but he claimed he sourced a wrecked powertrain in serious need of repair for fairly cheap...maybe but he never finished it before the board's traffic bit it...

Installshield 2 said:
This is ridiculous...an EVO will have no trouble destroying a 91 stock miata on any front...besides the obvious acceleration s***, it will handle better, brake better and everything else unless your miata isn't stock...You may have him on insanely tight tracks that require extremely lightweight manuevers to get around...But on any public mountain road, the old adage of "power doesn't matter if you don't have handling"/"handling is more important than engine output" does not apply to this one...It very well does matter when the other guy has both...

It's been more than one time that i've left an EVO in my dust...and yes, that was on a very twisty road. My suspension is also pretty good, but i have no engine mods yet. AWD+weight=understeer. It also has a lot to do with driver skill.

With cars like that you need to know how to throw the weight in order to actually go fast...if you haven't driven one you wouldn't know. In my Scooby outback sport i can pretty much walk all over other cars because i know how to do this. I'm guessing the evo is the same way...it'll understeer unless you actually play the weight. That's why when tested by pros they're so fast, but your average driver can't put those times down.

No the EVO is one of the most neutral handling AWD cars ever made, and is one of the easist cars for an inexperienced driver to move very quickly...it is very forgiving, the only thing initially you need to get used to is the quickness of the steering...However through the quick steering is what allows the amazing mid turn response...You can easily jump from oversteer to understeer to neutral without a chassis hiccup...With my experience driving one, if you power to hard out of a turn all four tires bust loose simultaneously resulting in a crazy glory slide...But like you mentioned most AWD cars tend to still understeer dominantly...WRX's do, but the EVO has that problem fixed...

Now to my credit you didn't include the part where I said if your miata was not stock...I didn't know what would happen in that case...

So a miata with some suspension upgrades very well could turn the tables on the right roads...if yours has suspension mods, then I am not arguing...If your miata is bone stock, I am arguing...

Last edited:
From personal experience, it's going to be extremely difficult for a Miata to match a stock EVO on numbers. Whether an AWD sedan can handle like a light RWD sports car is another matter, but handling is a difficult thing to quantify. It's more than simple grip.

Keith

Exactly...I am not commenting on which feels better to drive, or which is more responsive...that is difficult to pinpoint and can very through different drivers...

My argument was simply that a stock 91 miata would be very hard pressed to blow away an EVO on any public paved road...

Back