Rotary Protege

low_psi

Contributor
:
ms|slowtege #399
mazda of north america has released a statement stating that in 2004, they will be bringing the newly designed protege with a "sport" edition platform. it will feature a 13B r.engine with a single D12 turbo. this will be a RWD protege. the special platform will have an un-released sport suspension along with a newly developed 6 speed gearbox. it will ride on 7-spoke mazda wheels with ZR rated tires to make sure the power is being put down to the ground. recaro seats will give a "sporty" feel to the inside. no official numbers have been revealed about power or boost pressure.

This rumor goes along with the overall picture of Mazda building their image back up. The RX8, the Proteges (MP3-P5-MSP), Miata and the new Mazda 6 go a long way to create a loud buzz. (Rotary motors create a loud buzz, too!)

I like the specs on the Mazdaspeed Protege, but a rotary and spinning the rear wheels?! Good lordy...where do I sign up??

Last edited:
Wow that is a definitely cool sounding rumor! Rotary power in a Protege....and rwd no less....I'd almost have to think that they would have to have an entirely new car to do that...like something with more performance than a regular Protege, but not as powerful as the RX8...it'd be pretty awesome to see that tho!

RUMORS

If Mazda does this, it will be like back when they used to have the RX-4 Wagon! They used to look sweeeet! Can you imagine a P5 hooked up and the 13b going off!!! That will be a site to see! :D

Re: RUMORS

lpsalsaman said:
If Mazda does this, it will be like back when they used to have the RX-4 Wagon! They used to look sweeeet! Can you imagine a P5 hooked up and the 13b going off!!! That will be a site to see! :D
oh screw the 13b, you need 26b POWER! and AWD!

Wow that is a definitely cool sounding rumor! Rotary power in a Protege....and rwd no less

I will camp out at the dealership if this rumor turns out to be true. I love my P5 but I would lover a RWD/Rotory "P5" better.

Yummm!

its made up guys. i felt the rumors needed some "spice." i'm sorry if this got any of you hyped up.
i'm just posting this b/c i'm afraid some of you didn't catch on like sir nuke did.

Rotary Protoge.

Yeah, you'll right about it is a great dream and SirNuke got the joke. However, I remember back home when the GLC came out (long while back) and one guy did made one into a Rotary GLC. The only thing the GLC'S were rear drive so the job was not hard to do. Our P5 would have to be redesign since we do not have the tunnel for the trans and drive shaft and rear axle. But hey a dream is a dream, and someone crazy enough may end up doing it at some time or another. :cool:

Wait a minute!! you mean this isn't the "MAZDA NEWS RELEASE" forum? you mean there really isn't going to be a rotory P-5!! OH DAMN!!!

you really gotta stop teasin us all like that....YOU got my hopes up !

:{D

Of course it's a joke and Mazda isn't comming out with a 13b protege, they're to busy working on the 20b miata.

Oh well, a dream is a dream. I bet we all would have love to get our hands on a "PR5" if Mazda would had made one. Dream on.;)

lpsalsaman said:
Oh well, a dream is a dream. I bet we all would have love to get our hands on a "PR5" if Mazda would had made one. Dream on.;)
'

its funny that you should use "pR5" like the "R" stands for rotory....the reason I say that is we all commonly use P-5 when refering to the Protege5....but if you HAVE a Protege5...and you kept the window sticker...take a look at it....that is the EXACT designation you will find on the sticker..."PR5"! hmmmmm :{D

and this is NOT a rumor.

You are right Nukeman, I did notice that when I first bought the P5. I still got the window sticker. I guess we'll have to put this on the "CONSPIRACY" "X FILES" type rumor post! LOL. Who knows, so far the P5 seems to be gaining a good rep and you know how the manufacturers are; If they made good on it they may try to come up with something later on. I mean, Mazda even though they pull the RX-7 a couple of years ago, have not give up on the Rotary engines. We can see that by way of the RX-8 coming out. So, who knows. :cool:

lpsalsaman said:
You are right Nukeman, I did notice that when I first bought the P5. I still got the window sticker. I guess we'll have to put this on the "CONSPIRACY" "X FILES" type rumor post! LOL. Who knows, so far the P5 seems to be gaining a good rep and you know how the manufacturers are; If they made good on it they may try to come up with something later on. I mean, Mazda even though they pull the RX-7 a couple of years ago, have not give up on the Rotary engines. We can see that by way of the RX-8 coming out. So, who knows. :cool:

I also noticed that all the salespeople at the dealership I did business with refered to it as the PR-5 as well.

i meant to say that i thought that only sirnuke had caught on. i think the sentence structure was just funky.

Yeah, this thread was open as a joke to see how many of us will just continue to talk about it. The kicker is that some of us have been around for a while and sometimes even rumors that are not coming from the horses mouth do become reality. I guess SIRNUKE and myself just kept going since it sounds like a good thing to think about even if it's not going to happen. Like I said before, keep on dreaming. :D

Back