How hard is it to install oil pressure gauge?

Mark94

I read that you have to tap the sending unit into the block for the electric oil pressure gauge and I was afraid that it would require too much work and that I might screw something up in the process so I bought the air/fuel ratio instead.

I really want the oil pressure gauge so if anyone could explain to me in detail how to hook up the sending unit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info and if it sounds like something I can do myself I may have a brand new Autometer Air/Fuel Ultra Lite 2 1/16" gauge for sale (still in box and plastic wrap).

Sorry to post in the wrong forum mods!

I just wasn't sure where to post this because it is nothing that enhances my performance.

Did a search also and couldn't find any relative info either.

Sorry......

Mark

my oil pressure gauge is hooked up to the oil supply line for my turbo... Nice and easy to access... I think most people T the factory sensor and add the aftermarket sensor there... It is right above the oil filter so it coul be a PITA to get to, but if you did it during an oil change it might make things easier with out the filter. Im not sure where the oil supply line for the MSP's turbo is.

the hardest and most time consuming thing about mine was hooking up the sending unit. it was just a b**** to get to.

There is my sending unit, it is real small because it is a electrical sending unit from greddy.

turbo%20shot.jpg

It's super easy. You need a BSPT to 1/8NPT fitting. Unscrew your stock oil pressure sensor, right next to the oil filter. Screw in the BSPT adapter, then screw in a male-male 1/8 NPT fitting. Then screw in a 1/8 female tee. Get the fittings from Summit Racing. They were pretty inexpensive. Screw the stock sensor back on one side, and the new sender on the other side. You can also relocate the sender to the fire wall. You just have to plumb it appropriately. Make sure all the fittings get some teflon paste, and are tight as hell. Then just wire the gauge in. I used my dimmer switch for the light, so I can change the brightness along with everything else. It really wasn't too difficult. I also used a buch of quick disconnects in case I need to remove it for whatever reason

Geoff

BSPT to 1/8NPT

the autometer catalog lists 4 different adaptors, but none of them show BSPT. They show a specific number to 1/8. Does anyone know which one it is.

yeah it's not overly difficult, just a little time consuming....but then again removing and installing a head cams etc wasnt overly diffucult...just a little time consuming ;)

nah seriously, oil pressure gauge is really easy

Also word of advice, invest in a 42mm deep well socket and a short handle socket wrench to fit it. :D

Back