How-To: Clutch Line (Stainless Steel)

Equinox

Daddy Warbucks
Contributor
:
09 370Z Nismo
Now I know everyone hates a how-to without pictures, but I wont have a digi cam until christmas, so I'll do my best to use zoomed out pics of engine bays =/

I bought my stainless steel clutch line from corksport.com, great buy, only 24$ shipped. Why did I need it?

The clutch fluid gets to the transmission via small, 1/8" aluminum tubing, needless to say this tubing can take very high PSI. The harder the clutch (pressure plate) has to push up against the flywheel, to grab all the horsepower you are pushing back with, the more PSI in these aluminum lines. Unfortunately not all of the line leading to the transmission is aluminum. At one point near the tranny housing itself, there is a spanse of about 10" or so that goes from aluminum tubing, to a rubber hose. This hose, under high PSI, will expand, instead of transfering fluid. Therefore it doesn't let your clutch grip as much as it wants to, your clutch slips, and power isn't transferred to the pavement. I'm not sure why they wennt to rubber then back to aluminum, but my guess is, the pipes had to go thorugh a very curvy bend, and instead of bending a metal tube to the bend, they just slapped in a rubber hose. Voila, cheap bend in the clutch line. Replacing this rubber expanse with a steel braided tube from corksport allows you to do what the car wants, and push that clutch down on the flywheel as hard as it can, to use all the horsepower. I, myself really didn't need this mod until I got an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate, as it pushes a lot more than stock against the flywheel, and the rubber hose would just expand.

Okay, tools you need:

Small open end 10mm Wrench
Needle Nose Pliers
Small drain pan to drain 2 oz. or so of fluid (maybe a cut in half 2 liter bottle)

Total Time to install: 15 minutes my first time, didn't even know where it was at first, so you may be quicker.

Step one:
(I did this on an engine with a header and a intake, so I had some more room to work with, you may not)

Take your 10mm open end wrench, and on the aluminum pipe side of each tabe, your wrench should fit the bronze colors fitting. Loosen this fitting so you can open it the rest of the way with your fingers, but do not let the brake fluid come out just yet. Loosen the other bronze colored fitting on the opposite end of the rubber line.

Step Two:
Take the needle nose plies, and on the end of the rubber length of the clutch line, grab the tab that holds it in place and tug it towards the front of the car, and a little up. Do the same thing for the other end of the clutch line, as there is a total of two tabs.

clutchline.jpg

Once the tabs are removed you, loosen the bronze ends the rest of the way with your hands.
CAUTION: Brake fluid is not something you want to rub in your eyes of get in your mouth, please wash your hands very well after finished

Some brake fluid may dribble out of the line at this point, so if you don't want to stain the ground, use your little bucket now, or a low profile drain pan. When the rubber line is disconnected you should be able to pull it out by squishing it towards itself like a chinese finger trap, it will pull out of the mounting ears this way.

Note, now that you have the clutch line out, how the 20mm or so fittings on the end of it are hex-sided, except for where two faces meet they curve instead of coming to a point. When re-installing your aftermarket line it has the same fittings, and the mounting ears it goes on has this pattern in it, you must match up this pattern to the mounting ears, so that the line will go through the mounting ears far enough for the tabs to clip on.

Pretty much this means that you pulled out a 7-sided peg out of a 7-sided hole, and it needs to be matched up before it clicks in place. It's very simple when you handle the piece in person.

so.... just take the aftermarket line and match up the fitting puzzle piece to each mounting ear, and screw the bronze fittings into the line on each end. Now while holding the fitting perfectly in it's 7-sided hole, it should be far enough in the mounting ear to allow you to slide the clip on the outsides of the line. Thus securing it in place. If anything this will be the only annoying part. If you get too annoyed, just screw in one end, and then try to clip it together, leaving the other end un-hooked, so you can move it around more.

The only part I can't help you do is after this, you should bleed the clutch line of air, which, I, as of yet do not know how to do, but will be going to autozone shortly and buy the one man bleeder tool that costs like 5$. You may want to bleed it before fully installing it if you know how. I myself haven't bled my car yet after 2 days, I don't think it will cause any problems waiting to bleed the line, you just may not feel the full affect of the upgrade until you do.

Last edited:
here is a pic of the SS clutch line...

ss%20clutch%20line.jpg

I will do mine as soon as im sure i can bleed the line..

Equinox said:
okay so it's 12 inches =P

Thanks paul :D

I took this pic the other day to show twilightprotege the size, he wanted to compare it to his right hand drive p5.. but I never posted it.. i will take some more pics when i install mine. I will add them to this thread.

thanks again Paul

Reagen

someone needs to make me a mod already of the how-to section so I can move it already, lol.

Equinox said:
someone needs to make me a mod already of the how-to section so I can move it already, lol.

Just ask them to give you rights to post in there. I asked a while ago and he said he gave it to me. I just dont have any more how-to's as of right now.

ELEmental59437 said:
Just ask them to give you rights to post in there. I asked a while ago and he said he gave it to me. I just dont have any more how-to's as of right now.

you are fired Elemental.... FIRED

in what way does the clutch fluid and the lines have anything to do with how the clutch is applied? where are those lines connected to? and what is connected to that? what happens when you step on the clutch pedal?

I'll make it easy so that all of you can enjoy turkey tonight and the sandwiches next week....

you step on the pedal, it moves the master cylinder's piston, it pumps fluid to the slave cylinder and the piston moves the clutch fork.... what does that do? disengages the clutch... how does it do it? the clutch fork pushes against the pressure plate springs and it moves the pressure plate away from the clutch

so back to my original question... what does the clutch line have anything to do with the clutch slipping with more power? when you're NOT on the clutch pedal, the whole hydraulic system is just there doing NOTHING... the pressure plate and the friction material in the clutch disc is what actually is doing the heavy duty work... you asked what that rubber line is for? just like a brake hose... the whole suspension in the car moves... the brakes are attached to the suspension... your chassis doesn't move... the suspension does... if it was hard lines what would have happened? SNAP.... so what would happen if it was the same for the clutch hose? the whole drivetrain and engine rocks from sudden power or reduction surges... it also can bounce around
with the car bouncing around

so in otherwords... the function of the clutch line is the same as any brake hose... when you NEED the additional hydraulic pressure to MOVE that slave cylinder piston to disengage a heavy duty clutch

please in the future research what you are about to write when it is something important like this... TEACHING other people

Equinox said:
<snip>
Unfortunately not all of the line leading to the transmission is aluminum. At one point near the tranny housing itself, there is a spanse of about 10" or so that goes from aluminum tubing, to a rubber hose. This hose, under high PSI, will expand, instead of transfering fluid. Therefore it doesn't let your clutch grip as much as it wants to, your clutch slips, and power isn't transferred to the pavement. I'm not sure why they wennt to rubber then back to aluminum, but my guess is, the pipes had to go thorugh a very curvy bend, and instead of bending a metal tube to the bend, they just slapped in a rubber hose.
<snip>

Re: Re: How-To: Clutch Line (Stainless Steel)

TheMAN said:
in what way does the clutch fluid and the lines have anything to do with how the clutch is applied? where are those lines connected to? and what is connected to that? what happens when you step on the clutch pedal?

Dang...someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. If the as you would say "clutch fluid and lines" don't have anything to do with how your clutch is applied then take them out of your car and try to drive around the block a few times. I don't think you'll go very far, or even get it moving.

I'm sorry but if you think my how-to is in any way going to be dangerous information to a weekend mechanic replacing their line, you have all the right to be mad. But so far you are just trying to correct me on small information that I was trying to get across in a simplistic way. Is there something wrong with how I explained to install the line at all? DId I miss a step? Is some guy going to have their brake system fail because I told him the clutch line is seven-sided? Welp I'm sorry. Anywho, have fun installing your clutch lines guys, and and, don't blow up, the man would get mad.

edwin did'nt get out on the wrong side of bed, he's just a little irritated when people don't understand the dynamics of how things work, then write a how-to about it.

cablemirc said:
edwin did'nt get out on the wrong side of bed, he's just a little irritated when people don't understand the dynamics of how things work, then write a how-to about it.

Nah, you just have to do a regular post about something you don't understand completely. He is right every time I've seen him post though. Do what I do, take the info and ignore the attitude.

That's cool, but the fact is Equinox's clutch was slipping until he installed that ss clutchline and the how to part of the install is accurate. The dynamics might not be totally informative but as far as I can say, if I read his how to, I would know exactly where and how to install it now.

Don't think I ever said I was the expert, all I know is how to install the thing, notice I never said this is exactly what this is for, and I quote:

I'm not sure why they wennt to rubber then back to aluminum

Total Time to install: [is] 15 minutes my, first time, didn't even know where it was [when I started the install], so you may be quicker

(RTM)

Last edited:
t3ase said:
any word on how to bleed the line?

[EDITED AS per DAN's suggestion] =)

Yeah no problem tease. First, you will need a friend, I didn't have one, so I couldn't do this, haha.

Open the hood and real low in the front of the engine bay is the small little bleeder valve. It's mounted directly on the transmission, and is just above the front motor mount. It has a small black protector cap on it, remove this, and put it in a safe place before you get started.

Now, open the brake resevoir that is mounted on the firewall.

You will want to have a extra bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid to refill the resevoir back up with.

Connect a small aquarium hose or similar clear plastic hose to the tip of the bleeder, and run the end of the hose into a jar or bucket. Make sure to keep the tip of the hose submerged under fluid, to keep air out.

Now open the bleeder valve about 1/2-3/4 turn, with a small open end wrench, maybe 10mm?

Have your friend pump the clutch pedal, and as they do watch the fluid come out the bleeder valve. Pump it about 10 times, hold in the pedal for about 10 seconds, then close the valve off, fill up the resevoir with some more brake fluid.

NEVER LET THE RESEVOIR GO EMPTY, otherwise air will get back into the system.

Just keep pumping, and filling up the resevoir until you use all of your bottle, it would be a good idea to catch all this fluid in the bucket as it comes out the bleeder btw. If you know what the air coming out looks like, you wont have to use your whole bottle, just until no more air comes out.

To make the process more accurate, I took the bleeder valve off entirely and wrapped teflon tape on it to seal it, THEN put it back on and bled it that way.

Have fun T3ase

Last edited:
Thanks ;) I'll try to get some pics for ya this comin up week to supplement your how to. Did you get the plastic coated line?

Back