Question on Monster 5.0 Miatas

FC3s Boy said:
there are a few mx5 that run in the 12's, the extra weight of the v8 will ruin the perfect handling that the miata is known for. It's like when the rednecks stuff v8 into rx7's it just kills me.
I've got a v8 rx7 and it kicks ass.

I can't be a redneck i went to a private school my whole life and drink french sodas.:)

hey you know what, really I had no choice. The rotory went boom and I just happened to have a spare chevy engine and trans laying around.

500 for a 65 stang w/ a inline 6...5.0 swap......

............PRICELESS..............

Why ruin a miata................. hAPPY tHANKSGIVING

5.0 in a heavy car like that isn't going to do that well stock that is. But a 351 Cleveland. WOW don't they pull high 13's low 14's stock??? At least I think the boss did!

Mazda100 said:
5.0 in a heavy car like that isn't going to do that well stock that is. But a 351 Cleveland. WOW don't they pull high 13's low 14's stock??? At least I think the boss did!

uh?

Ford 302s (the 5.0 you are talking about) can be built in excess of 500hp by shade-tree mechanics.

They are amazing platforms to build.

Most 'classic' muscle cars ran high 13s at best, quite a number went slower.

Luv2RedLine said:
What can really be done with a miata...This might have already been posted but this is what can be done w/o ruining the handling and some that are monsters....Fastest miatas

Notice the trap speed for the quickest v8 miata - 129mph - that's plenty of power to knock of .5 or more...it's traction that's killing it...even some of the low-11-second turbo miatas would probably lose in a street race against it. (e.g., rolling start, etc).

:)

nothing drag radials wouldn't fix right? But havinga 5.0 ina heavy muscle car isn't going to be that fast maybe mid 2 high 14's at best. I know they can be built to 500HP which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Mazda100 said:
nothing drag radials wouldn't fix right? But havinga 5.0 ina heavy muscle car isn't going to be that fast maybe mid 2 high 14's at best. I know they can be built to 500HP which is probably what I'll end up doing.

(sigh)...

the 'size' of the V8 in ANY car, be it a 'heavy' muscle car or miata, isn't as important as the state of tune of the engine. A 500hp 5.0 in a 65 Mustang body = 11s or 12s in the 1/4 mile, easy.

Do you know how to build a 500hp v8? :)

Lucky you...I wish I had that kinda money. I've ridden with #9 on the list and he is now near the top 5(aka Bassmaster). I think I'd go the turbo route and not the v8 even though I loooove the sound of a niice v8. purrrrrrr. But this goes back to the american muscle vs. japanese technology issue.

It depends what you want to do with your Miata. Drag racing 5.0 litre conversion is hard to beat (not only HP increase but huge increase in low end torque) but you'll require 3rd gen RX7 rear end to handle the extra load. We have a "monster" Miata in our Miata Club converted by "Cardiac" in Vancouver- total sleeper- even quieter than stock Miata but he's had lots of troubles with differentials etc. handling that extra power.

That's true. Even if you get too much power with FI you'll need a stronger rear end. After 2 or 3 rear ends one of the guys up the street from me put in the RX-7 diff(he's got t03/04 and ran high 12's). It makes the drive shaft from the stock tranny less than 2 feet long.

IIRC, a good number of v8-swap miatas use the Rear end from the RX7 Turbo II, OR the rear end bits from a T-Bird SuperCoupe

:D

#2 11.1 E/T
94 miata Custom turbo NO TEC 2
Jenn Tipton (Miata_Mamma)

This is the lady I knew in Kentucky. She also has a monster miata.

Back