How TO wire Door sills (EL only)

pr5owner

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda Proteg5
Sorry this isn't 56K friendly, but anyways i finally found those pics. On my sisters computer lol any who here is how you hook it up

You open the box you get 4 sills, 2 with EL lamps on them, 2 that are plain
Other recommended items to have are, butt/bullet connectors, 5amp inline fuse, ring connector that will fit on to your battery

1. unpack items from plastic

2. take off all your plastic door sills from your car, these just pop off when you pull

3. poke a little hole in the primer tube

4. 1 sill at a time take off the plastic protecting the 3m tape (red stuff)

5. apply the primer along the outside of the little dots on your stock sill

6. line up new sill with stock sill and press firmly, hold down for around 1-2 mins

7. repeat steps 5-6 for the remaining 3 sills

8. now that all the sills are attached to your stock sills unwrap the EL lamp wires

9. route all wires to somewhere around your clutch/brake pedal NEATLY, you can go under your carpets or along other stock wiring harnesses

10. using a probe/coat hanger poke it thru the grommet from your engine bay into the cabin, you will see a grommet that is accessible behind your driver side strut tower

11. fish the red wire thru into your engine bay, you can fish 1 of them into your engine bay and attach the other red one to another part of the wire you fished into the engine bay with a butt connector or you can fish both thru.

12. attach a ring connector to the red wire (I soldered my ring connector so it will never come apart)

13. cut the ring connector off with 7-8cm of wire on it and add an inline fuse to it with a fuse rating of 5, you can probably get away with 1 since it doesnt draw that much current

14. now that the power wire is connected, see the pictures below to see how to hook up the black wire, you will need to cut the wire shown below and add the 2 black wires

Last edited:
el%20hookup%201.jpg

el%20hookup%20%202.jpg
el%20hookup%20%203.jpg

el%20hookup%20%204.jpg

butt.jpg

there are other ways to install this, ive heard of some people useing empty slots in their fuse box and also useing exsisting fuses (room fuse) for the power so they don't need to go thru the firewall,

also you can take off the panel that is covering the door switch (this panel is a b**** to get back on though), you can tap the black wire to the door lock switch as well

yeah, are the two black wires just ground wires?, if so, could i not also tap them into anything grounded in my interior?(ex. radio harness, neon lighting ground wire, tv's,etc)

umm, you'd be MUCH better off just grounding everything to the chassis somewhere. There's ALL sortsa extra bolts under the dash that you can run a loop around. If not, just find some metal somewhere, check the backside of it, and drill through. (make sure the scrape the paint off though) just get a multimeter or a test light and check everything...

I have a question. I bought these sills from you some time ago and gee they look nice but unfortunately there were no wires in the package. How should I connect my el sills in this case? I've pmd you about this before and no response.

no.... DO NOT GROUND them to anything.. only the door lock switch or door lock switch wire (one in pictures)
when the switch says the door is open, it will gnd itself
this is how the circuit is completed, and thats why it only turns on when your car is on

dialup, i didn't recieve your PM (my box may have been full), iwill find wires to send you imediatly, please email me your details @ d950@shaw.ca i will send them express post to you once i get your addy

pr5owner said:
no.... DO NOT GROUND them to anything.. only the door lock switch or door lock switch wire (one in pictures)
when the switch says the door is open, it will gnd itself
this is how the circuit is completed, and thats why it only turns on when your car is on

dialup, i didn't recieve your PM (my box may have been full), iwill find wires to send you imediatly, please email me your details @ d950@shaw.ca i will send them express post to you once i get your addy

Hey pr5owner...
We got them and they look great!
I just needed to confirm something about your wiring diagram..you said "that's why it only turns on when your car is on"

Are you saying that the key actually needs to be in the ignition at the ON possition?

I want these to come on as soon as someone opens the door regardless of whether the headlights are on.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
J.J.

no they turn on when doors open regardless of car being on off or acc being on or off

Hey pr5owner,
I need some help. I'm trying to wire these sills up, and I got the power wire wired in, but I can't find the same connector with the black/blue wire underneath the dash. My 99 Protege has a different connecter under the dash that's colored yellow. I did find a black/blue wire in a different harness that's hard to get at and taped down. Do you think this is the same wire?

I popped open the door sills along the driver's side door and found a black/blue wire in the stock bundle too. I am hoping this wire is the correct one.

NegatiZE said:
Hey pr5owner,
I need some help. I'm trying to wire these sills up, and I got the power wire wired in, but I can't find the same connector with the black/blue wire underneath the dash. My 99 Protege has a different connecter under the dash that's colored yellow. I did find a black/blue wire in a different harness that's hard to get at and taped down. Do you think this is the same wire?

I popped open the door sills along the driver's side door and found a black/blue wire in the stock bundle too. I am hoping this wire is the correct one.

it is!!

THANK YOU!! i'm outside on my laptop trying to do this...didn't expect a reply right away!

yea i had the same problem so i just did a trial and error. good thing it worked on the first try.
hope you like them. i did.

R2Di2Dc2Do, is there any way you could get a picture of the wire and everything? I just spent the past hour cutting the wire and attempting to wire in the two ground wires but failed because theres so little slack and hardly any room to worth with.
:mad:

Bah. I have everything wired in but there is a problem. The EL sills only light up when the car key is OFF, and they come in regardless whether or not the door is open or closed. Once the car is turned on, the sills go off. Could I have tapped into the wrong wire? The dome light comes on and off independant of the sills and works like it always did.

:confused:

Hey Negatize
any luck with this
I am trying to do this right now
and i am also having trouble.

I saw the black and white wire under the driver door sill
and I am going to tap into it

but, how do i tap into the fuse for the room
just take out the fuse
and cramp it back with the wires in it or what?!?!?!

Thanks!

Back