gas mileage post flash

How is everyone finding their cars after the flash? Mine is eating it. granted, it is colder now, and I'm somewhat of a lead foot since the flash :) but even when I try to take it easy ( very hard to do ) she still seems to swallow alot of gas

I dont' know if I should blame it on myself, or the flash, or cold weather.....and it's not really that cold yet...we have no snow.

i was told i have the flash but it seems to hesitate sometimes so im going to double check . anyways i checked my mileage and its between like 23-26. The 26 was like 4 hours of a 7 hour highway drive, so I figured it would have done better that that. Oh well lol

Quick question... kinda off topic, kinda not.

How do I go about explaining to a dealership about the flash if they have no clue about it? Is there somewhere I can point them to? Webpage? Phone number?

I'd like to get it done, but the only dealership close to me has no clue yet.

My milage is about the same post flash. I'm getting about 300 miles out of a tank of gas. That's all city driving. I don't do much H/W driving. But I'll find out when I go down to Portland for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

BTW, the 300 miles is on about 12.5 gal of gas. 24mpg city driving. That's about what the advertised mpg was for city isn't it?

22 all the time in the city

26 on the highway...

Just like it says on the window sticker. Another guy here got 28 around town.. I'm like WTF.... I want that kinda gas mileage

I get about 26 in the city, and about the same on the highway. Ofcourse part of that could be cruising at 90+ down the freeway, but either way it's still more than the 16 I get when I take my truck on the freeway, and the 10-12 around town.

I usually get about the upper 390's to the lower 400's out of around 12 gallons but it takes effort...
All slow lane highway driving it aint pretty but it does save gas.
I normally stay in the 30-36MPG range. Warning this driving style has extremely BORING consequences.

Last edited:
I had one tank where I would not shift above 3000, I tried for 2500 all the time and ended with 27 mpg with all city driving. But that isn't fun, so I usually get around 23-24; I can handle that because I need to have some fun with her:D

Off topic? But anyway, anyone know what is left in the tank when the gas light comes on? The manual tells me nothing. Actually it's a pretty bad manual. It doesn't even tell you what kind of headlight bulbs to use. I had to find it here.

Stormtrooper77 said:
Off topic? But anyway, anyone know what is left in the tank when the gas light comes on? The manual tells me nothing. Actually it's a pretty bad manual. It doesn't even tell you what kind of headlight bulbs to use. I had to find it here.

It is supposed to be around 3 gallons. This is at least what the manual says for US cars. The figure seemed pretty acurate because I could put about 11.5-12 gallons of gas in when the light came on. The tank is 14.5 gallons.

when my light came on last night i went about 25-30 miles with it on and still made it to the gas station.

I can always put in about 12.5 gallons with the light on steady. That means two gallons, or 50 miles, left in her to find a station.

28~29 avg. Drivign normal highway cruising about 65-70 shift mostly before 2.5~3k. Gas up at 1/4 of tank left on gas dial ~ 11.5 gallons.

Hey Newf, i also feel like my mileage has been worse since the flash, although it may also be due to having all the fun i can with the car before the snow gets here.
Has anyone else noted more soot (black stuff) on their tailpipe post flash? To me, that wold mean more unburnt fuel, so the car is running richer ? is that possible ?

Actually, my MPG went up a bit after the flash. I was gettin' around 20 before, now I get closer to 25, with the same driving style & roads. My best was pre-flash, got around 35 MPG in Upstate NY on my honeymoon. Up near Lake Placid you can drive 60, feel like your goin' fast due to twisties, yet not see anyone else on the road to slow you down!

newf said:
How is everyone finding their cars after the flash? Mine is eating it. granted, it is colder now, and I'm somewhat of a lead foot since the flash :) but even when I try to take it easy ( very hard to do ) she still seems to swallow alot of gas

I dont' know if I should blame it on myself, or the flash, or cold weather.....and it's not really that cold yet...we have no snow.

It is you, the flash did nothing to the richness of the fuel that the turbo is getting. All it did was advance the timing, so gas milage hasn't changed at all.

Hey Newf, ironically I was kind of wondering the same thing. For me there has been 1 "hot" day here since I got the flash - 85 degrees. After that it's just been normal temps (getting colder with winter). My mileage has gone down from a consistant 31MPG to 29.5MPG but I'm contributing that negligable difference to the colder weather. I'm expecting it to go down to about 27-28 once winter arrives full-boar and then back up to 31 for the summer. If it doesn't bounce back up to 31 I'll be very surprised. Kind of sneeky of Mazda to release the flash after all the hot weather is over with - because of that I won't know its true potential for another 6 months!

Back