Differences between '02 & '03?? Rack or MoonRoof?

DragonWagon

:
soon to be an '02 Protege5
Hey all.. I am very new here. I am planning on getting rid of my 2002 Honda Civic Si and get into a Vivid Yellow '02 Protege5. I went down to a dealership to testdrive one. But they did not have any used ones. I have to say that despite the flaws 'edmunds.com' says about the car, I reaaaaaly love it. Although I felt like the shifter knob was a little large. Also all the accents and fine touches inthe cab really clinched my want. But I want to get into a used one because they are only about 13K here in Phoenix, AZ. This would lower my payments but a few hundred dollars and I would still have a very well handling car with lots of little extras. I like my Si a lot. And I am sure it will last a long time, but I paid a premium for it because I got it the 1st week it has been out. Only had 2 miles on it when I test drove it.

But because the '03 was the only one I could test I was curious to see if you folks knew the differences between the '02 & '03?

Also if you had to choose between a moon roof and a roof rack what would you use? Personally, I love the look that the roof rack adds to the car, although I doubt I would EVER use it for anything other than looks. Or would you go with a moon-roof? I know I would use that a lot, especially during the winter. I would rather have that open than my windows. My Si has one and I find my self using it almost any time it is not a million degrees outside. I know some of them come witth both. Did any of the '02s come with both?

Sorry for the long post. And thanks to those out there that pay for an maintain this site. I can not wait to post pics of my P5 some time late next month.

Some of the 02's didn't come with side marker lights. The 03.5 model had an optional roof rack. Id say get the roof rack and the sunroof.

main difference between 02-03 is that the 02 came with the roof rack....and the 03 it was optional but then Mazda included the stock spare-subwoofer....personally i think the 03 is a better deal

It was only optional later in the 03 model. Would rather have that than the factory sub.

There's an 02 and an 02 1/2. The 02 1/2 is the same as the 03 basically, except that in 03 the 6CD was packaged with moonroof. For 03 1/2 the subwoofer was added and I think the roof rack was made optional.

You can drive to Mississippi and buy my 02 1/2 (it's black though, with moonroof and roof rack) for well under $13K :)

Really I would keep th si. If you have to get rid of it the go with the 03 mp5.

Can someone explain in better detail the subwoofer for the 03 P5's...My dealer told me that the P5 I bought was the last batch coming out. I assumed it was an 03.5. I have the sunroof / 6disk /roofrack. The dealer told me this car had every option but the cargo net. It even had the mazdspeed exhaust. The bass on my stereo sucks...I looked where the spare tire is and there's a tire there....no subwoofer. On every build sheet I've ever seen for the P5 there is no mention of a subwoofer...what gives??

I believe it was only on the 2003.5 mp5's. Just ask to see the invoice for the car or the window sticker and see what the car was supposed to come with. That way you get what you are paying for. And yeah the factory bass sucks in these cars.

ELEmental59437 said:
You can get a brand new P5 around here for not much more than 10k...

Where do you live and show me a sticker. You telling me they took over 5k off? this is for a stripped down model right?

Turbo Matty P said:
was it a dealer option or what?? Is there a way to get one either from the dealer or someone on here??

It is a FREE option, it says so on the sticker. Not all P5 comes with them obviously. If you want something, look before you buy peoples.

I did look before I bought...No'one ever said there was a subwoofer. No reveiw I've read said anything about a subwoofer. I will contact my dealer in the mornin and see where mine is. I'm a little pissed now.

Back