MPI Tuner Anyone?

MPNick

Here we go, more then a few people have told me that I need to give more info about the inner working of the MPI Tuner. I can only go into some of this but not all of it. Sorry but this is how the world works. I will not debate anyone about anything. I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that. If you ask me a question I will tell you if it is being done with a customers car already.

Here is a list of what we can do. Keep in mind that on some controls you can only do one and not all of them. Ask me and I will tell you what you can and cannot do at the same time.

Total fuel curve tuning
O 2 fuel tuning
Total timing control, add and retard timing plus boost or NOS retard
extra injector control
NOS control
Boost control
VTCS control
extra inline pump control
duel mapping, flip a switch and go from map A to Map B
Data logging, with this we can help tune your car over the internet for you, at no charge.

no charge software updates

Thats about it.

Thanks again

Later.....Nick

care to explain how to set up the VTCS control and the boost control..

Which one does the MP3 have VICS or VTCS..I dont feel like searching at the moment..

paulmp3 said:

Which one does the MP3 have VICS or VTCS..I dont feel like searching at the moment..
The mp3 only has vics paul.

paulmp3 said:

We have been doing the VETC control this way for some time now.

You are running the extra injector set right now. So you cannot do both, VTCS and boost at the same time. You can do one or the other. Look at the manual. Under global settings you will find a switch that you can program. You can set it to turn on based on TPS, RPM, MAF output, boost load. You can also use this set up to turn on an extra fuel pump or even NOS.

If you are not running the extra injector set up you can then do full progressive NOS and boost control.

We have the boost control units needed for both setups. Let me know if you need help setting up your system.

Thanks again

Later..........Nick

Since i dont have VTCS, i have no need for that control.I am running the extra injector setup.. I dont want any NOS, but i am interested in how the boost control feature works, and what it can do.

I guess my main question on this thing is how do you control the stock injectors in closed loop? I believe you've mentioned in the other threads that you manipulate the output of the MAF. Well we know that manipulating the MAF will trick the stock ECU into putting more fuel in. But once it sees the overly rich condition from the O2 sensor, it will immediately pull it back. Are you manipulating the MAF AND O2 sensor in unison to trick the stock ECU? What about the other sensors like TPS etc that will cause problems? Thats all. I hope you can answer this. Thanks for opening a thread to answer questions.

Chris

paulmp3 said:
Since i dont have VTCS, i have no need for that control.I am running the extra injector setup.. I dont want any NOS, but i am interested in how the boost control feature works, and what it can do.

We use a duel stage air valve. You will need to set up both stage's for what ever boost level you what to run. You can use this a few ways. If you keep it on the A map you will be able to keep your bleed closed. This will help your turbo spool up a little faster and it may stop a vacuum leak at idle, if you have a bleed off valve. You can also switch from the A map to the B map, this will let you run two levels of boost, one for low boost and one for high boost. You would also program the fuel curve and spark curve at the same time. This way when you flip the switch for the higher boost setting you also switch to a map that will be 100% tuned for the higher boost.

After you program these settings you will never have to pull over and pop the hood to make boost and fuel changes. One flip of a switch and you just made all of the changes you need, spark, fuel and boost.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions at all.

Thanks again

Later............Nick

BTW, we are almost done with the new set up for controling the stock MAF. I hope to have it done this week. You would still be better off with our new MAF meter, but you would save the cost.
As with our software program, this is a no charge ungrade.

DooMer_MP3 said:
I guess my main question on this thing is how do you control the stock injectors in closed loop? I believe you've mentioned in the other threads that you manipulate the output of the MAF. Well we know that manipulating the MAF will trick the stock ECU into putting more fuel in. But once it sees the overly rich condition from the O2 sensor, it will immediately pull it back. Are you manipulating the MAF AND O2 sensor in unison to trick the stock ECU? What about the other sensors like TPS etc that will cause problems? Thats all. I hope you can answer this. Thanks for opening a thread to answer questions.

Chris

Sofar we have not had any problems with the much hated CEL. You do not need to be very rich in closed loop because you are not making the bulk of you power in closed loop. If you add or remove fuel with our MAF at any rpm or throttle in closed loop it will keep the AFR where it needs to be.

We can not do both at the same time and we do not need to. We have not see the need to. We can add so much fuel that the engine will bogg down untill we lean it out. The O2 will try to lean out the fuel, at first. You then need to add more. It will take you few times but with our software you can read both the O2 voltage and the AFR. You will see how much fuel you can add or remove. You are working with O2 Counts here, if it pulls 20 add 22 back in.

It may sound strange but we have been doing this for years with all types of cars. Even cars that stay in closed loop longer then Mazda do. I know people do not like to hear this but we do have people with our Mazda turbo system right now running this setup with great results, this has got to count for something. It is the fact that it is working as I say.

The only way the TPS would give you a CEL is if it is bad you unplugged.

Thanks again

Later.............Nick

MPNick said:
Sofar we have not had any problems with the much hated CEL. You do not need to be very rich in closed loop because you are not making the bulk of you power in closed loop. If you add or remove fuel with our MAF at any rpm or throttle in closed loop it will keep the AFR where it needs to be.

We can not do both at the same time and we do not need to. We have not see the need to. We can add so much fuel that the engine will bogg down untill we lean it out. The O2 will try to lean out the fuel, at first. You then need to add more. It will take you few times but with our software you can read both the O2 voltage and the AFR. You will see how much fuel you can add or remove. You are working with O2 Counts here, if it pulls 20 add 22 back in.

It may sound strange but we have been doing this for years with all types of cars. Even cars that stay in closed loop longer then Mazda do. I know people do not like to hear this but we do have people with our Mazda turbo system right now running this setup with great results, this has got to count for something. It is the fact that it is working as I say.

The only way the TPS would give you a CEL is if it is bad you unplugged.

Thanks again

Later.............Nick

So, what you are saying is, you simply monitor the O2 signal, you in no way shape or form manipulate it.

Here is my question though, in closed loop on boost application, if the ECU pulls "20 counts and you add 22 counts", what happens if the ECU pulls another 20. Do you add another 22?

If this progression continues, what happens when the ECU pulls all it can, and you have added all you can?

I realize this is possibly a theoretical situation, but if it happens what is the MPI Tuner going to do.

It is my understanding that something like this can happen up here, at my altitude...

And, from what it sounds like, the MPI Tuner is fighting the ECU to make sure there is enough fuel for the current load and boost situation in closed loop.

StuttersC said:
So, what you are saying is, you simply monitor the O2 signal, you in no way shape or form manipulate it.

Here is my question though, in closed loop on boost application, if the ECU pulls "20 counts and you add 22 counts", what happens if the ECU pulls another 20. Do you add another 22?

If this progression continues, what happens when the ECU pulls all it can, and you have added all you can?

I realize this is possibly a theoretical situation, but if it happens what is the MPI Tuner going to do.

It is my understanding that something like this can happen up here, at my altitude...

And, from what it sounds like, the MPI Tuner is fighting the ECU to make sure there is enough fuel for the current load and boost situation in closed loop.

If you do not tune with the MAF then you can tune with the O2 closed loop program. It is not just a tap wire that reads it. It take the signal out put and runs into our MPI Tuner, at this point we tune the signal for the AFR that we need. We are sampling at 12 times a second, for we can make the changes as fast as is needed. How fast does the clamp tune for changes, I have no idea but people seem to like the way it works. We take the clamp and bring it up to a whole new level.

You almost never stay in the closed loop that long under the same large boost load. The engine will go into open loop a little sooner when you add fuel with the MAF tuning, it will read this as more load. All ECUs work in a world with checks and balances, one sensor will look at the next and so on. Fighting is a little to hard of a term. We allow you to tune for the perfect balance that is needed to get the job done. It may sound hard but if you take a look at our program tables you will see how easy it is to do.

Great questions, let me know if you have anymore.

Thanks again

Later..........Nick

Well I believe that answers my questions. In detail even. Thank you. When you say "if you add or remove fuel with our MAF", is that YOUR MAF (the MPI one). Is that pretty much required for MAF tuning with the MPI tuner? Otherwise you can do O2 sensor based tuning? Thanks...

Chris

MPNick said:
If you do not tune with the MAF then you can tune with the O2 closed loop program. It is not just a tap wire that reads it. It take the signal out put and runs into our MPI Tuner, at this point we tune the signal for the AFR that we need. We are sampling at 12 times a second, for we can make the changes as fast as is needed. How fast does the clamp tune for changes, I have no idea but people seem to like the way it works. We take the clamp and bring it up to a whole new level.

You almost never stay in the closed loop that long under the same large boost load. The engine will go into open loop a little sooner when you add fuel with the MAF tuning, it will read this as more load. All ECUs work in a world with checks and balances, one sensor will look at the next and so on. Fighting is a little to hard of a term. We allow you to tune for the perfect balance that is needed to get the job done. It may sound hard but if you take a look at our program tables you will see how easy it is to do.

Great questions, let me know if you have anymore.

Thanks again

Later..........Nick

You in no way change the O2 sensor signal though. You take that signal and put it into the MPI Tuner to help tune. But the signal is still sent to the ECU?

To me, "tapping" the line means you do not cut the signal at all, you simply add a wire to the original wire.

The voltage clamp fits in between the ECU and the O2 sensor. When the clamp sees boost (via a tube and boost trigger inside the unit) it modifies the signal instantly. If the clamp does not see boost, it sends the regular signal.

My undertsanding, form what you have said, is the MPI Tuner does not do this. All it does is read the o2 sensor signal, and you use that reading to tune the MPI Tuner.

MPNick said:
We use a duel stage air valve. You will need to set up both stage's for what ever boost level you what to run. You can use this a few ways. If you keep it on the A map you will be able to keep your bleed closed. This will help your turbo spool up a little faster and it may stop a vacuum leak at idle, if you have a bleed off valve. You can also switch from the A map to the B map, this will let you run two levels of boost, one for low boost and one for high boost. You would also program the fuel curve and spark curve at the same time. This way when you flip the switch for the higher boost setting you also switch to a map that will be 100% tuned for the higher boost.

After you program these settings you will never have to pull over and pop the hood to make boost and fuel changes. One flip of a switch and you just made all of the changes you need, spark, fuel and boost.

Thanks again

Later............Nick

BTW, we are almost done with the new set up for controling the stock MAF. I hope to have it done this week. You would still be better off with our new MAF meter, but you would save the cost.
As with our software program, this is a no charge ungrade.

What does this option run$$$$, it sounds like a pretty cool feature.

Wow..Nick...we really need to talk..my car is due for some MPI servicing :) Whenever you see this shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what I need ...

Ok Nick, you guys are on like level 10 and I am on something like level -23000, so let me just tell you what I want and you tell me the price.

I want:

1) to keep my stock MAF.

2) no extra injectors.

3) to run 6 PSI daily and at the flick of a switch run 10 or 12psi without putting a piston on the moon.

4) to have a pre programmed unit with a simple straight forward install.

Can this be done? What will it cost?

i think he mentioned in a previous thread that the stock MAF control is coming very soon but is not yet available

KzA said:
i think he mentioned in a previous thread that the stock MAF control is coming very soon but is not yet available

I know, but I just wanted to state all my requierments in this one thread so that they can all be addressed at the same time. I am ready to start modding, and I would like to start with engine control.

Hey KzA, done you have pics of your custom gauge pod?

Back