ANOTHER blinking CEL

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Okay, WHY is this happening?

Last night I did a little tuning, and my A:F ratios were all fine.

This morning on my way to work, I floor it in 2nd gear, A:F is fine, then @ 6K RPM...BAM...it hits 14.7 or so, and the car basically hit a brick wall.

Then I noticed my CEL started blinking. ARGH. WHY?

And why did my A:F ratio change?

wow... i am assuming you were at full boost... that doesnt sound good.

Im gonna play around with mine again this weekend.. i havent touched it in a while and it seems to top out around 12.6:1

im gonna try to get her down into the 11's..

First thing to do is to get someone to read the error code. That might help.

Did you happen to blow the line off your AFPR?

Keith

I'm not running an AFPR, I've got the MPI tuner.

I read the code...it was a misfire in cyl 3.

Good luck. Can't help with the MPI. I thought you had one of our setups.

Keith

fuel cut???

Mine is doing that exact same s***. I hit full boost, nice A:F ratio, but when it reaches 6krpms it goes lean!!!! I mean...LEAN! on the greddy it shows 14.7:1.

I might take a video, thats what I was talking to Little Beavis, he saw it, and he also have NO idea why is that happening. I think I even felt some detonation.

threadjack
Keith....I was going to PM you or start a new thread about this...Kooldino just did it so...I think you will help us both, but I have one more question:

I have the AWR mounts, I have heard detonation on other non turbo cars when it overheats, but never heard detonation on my car because of my exhaust.

But Im sure It was detonation, the AWR mounts feedback into the cabin was something like some very mild pulsations like a rev limiter, but mild and some power loss. Could that be detonation? It only happens when running lean, doesnt matter if its cold or hot. Could be missfires?

igdrasil said:
threadjack
Keith....I was going to PM you or start a new thread about this...Kooldino just did it so...I think you will help us both, but I have one more question:

I have the AWR mounts, I have heard detonation on other non turbo cars when it overheats, but never heard detonation on my car because of my exhaust.

But Im sure It was detonation, the AWR mounts feedback into the cabin was something like some very mild pulsations like a rev limiter, but mild and some power loss. Could that be detonation? It only happens when running lean, doesnt matter if its cold or hot. Could be missfires?

Iam nervous also about hearing detonation... so far i havent heard any, i usually try and take her to redline at full boost under this tunnel near my house.. When im under there everything echos so you can hear it real well. just for saftey i am ordering one of these bad boys next week....

MSD engine knock alert

paulmp3 said:
Iam nervous also about hearing detonation... so far i havent heard any, i usually try and take her to redline at full boost under this tunnel near my house.. When im under there everything echos so you can hear it real well. just for saftey i am ordering one of these bad boys next week....

MSD engine knock alert

yeah...I was thinking on getting one of those too!

my car actually did this twice a few days ago for the first time after like 2600 miles...maybe its the MAF maxing out?

paulmp3 said:

MSD engine knock alert

Why not pay just a little more, and get something that will protect your engine when it hears knock?:confused:

http://www.jandssafeguard.com

Unfortunately, the Protege has a well insulated hood. Takes a good hard knock to be audible. It's a lot easier to hear on the dyno with the hood up but it's awkward driving that way :) Stiffer engine mounts might confuse a knock sensor but they shouldn't add to audible knock - unless you're hearing the engine hit something.

Given the fact that it was the A/F ratio that changed drastically (probably causing knock), I'd be looking into your fuel setup. Something has gone wrong. If it happens consistently at 6k, then I suspect you're reaching the limits of the electronics.

Keith

I'm assuming that we're trying to solve the same problem with both cars here - do you both have the MPI igdrasil? Without knowing the setup you're running (aux injectors, fuel pressure, OEM injector size, MAF sizing and general underhood voodoo) it's pretty much a crapshoot. Your best resource should be the company that sold you the fuelling equipment as they should know it best.

Keith

Keith@FP said:
I'm assuming that we're trying to solve the same problem with both cars here - do you both have the MPI igdrasil?
Keith

Keith -

A help from you would be great.

Im just running a vortech 12:1, stock injectors, stock engine, stock intank fuel pump+MSD 125psi inline, and a Spool Turbo Kit Intercooled with your O2 volt clamp with my Stock Protege5 ECU.
Exhaust is a 2.5 inch pipe from the turbo with a lond 2.5inch resonator and a Dynomax exhaust.

thats all

And im running deep lean when boostin 0-3psi, 12:1 in midband and 14.7:1 as soon as is touches 6000rpms aprox.

Boost is not steady, hitting from 7psi in mid range up to 9psi @ 6000rpms aprox.

Last edited:
igdrasil - we don't recommend more than 6 psi on our kits using an FMU. You're just trying to push it too hard. You could try larger injectors because the Protege can compensate for about 25% larger ones, but it's hard to say if the ECU would complain about doing that much fuel compensation for so long.

Kooldino may have a different problem. It's hard to say.

Keith

Kooldino said:
I'm not running an AFPR, I've got the MPI tuner.

I read the code...it was a misfire in cyl 3.

Dana you do not have the MPI Tuner. You have Nicks old box. I have told everyone that we had changes made to the box. The MPI Tuner is a grey box and not the black box you have. Also how to you have it set up, if it is the way had it set up on his car you will have problems. Nick had the very same problem with his car, That is why he ask me for the standalone.

You should find time to come up to my shop. You are in danger of having problems with your car because you have been told things by people that are not true. You DO NOT have the MPI Tuner.

I have said it many times before, some people never used the MPI Tuner. You should call me before it is to late.

Thanks again

Later.............Nick

I assume that's MPNick posting under Kza's name there.

What's wrong w/ the way Nick had his black box set up?

Anyway, as of right now, I moved where my MAP was reading from...and I haven't gone lean since then. I still may be getting some knock in the middle of the RPM band, but I'm not sure.

Basically the only think my piggy is doing right now is controlling the additional injectors, reading the MAP, and reading a few signals that go into the ECU.

Back