test drove a 6 today...

NoWeyOut

it was kind of a disapointment today because it seemed very slow. i test drove a 4cyl auto and the pickup was terrible. is it because its a new car with only 20 mi. on it? will it be better after the initial breakin? i just needed your opinions. thanks!

--NoWeyOut

ps...i'm not bagging on the 6 :)

NoWeyOut said:
i test drove a 4cyl auto and the pickup was terrible.

you just answered your own question. The 6S with a five speed and V6 is almost as fast as a stock Mazdaspeed Protege according to most mags, at best a mere 1/2 second slower to 60. The I4 only has 160 hp to lug around all that car. Add a slushbox to the mix and you have the formula for slowness.

My brother owns a 6i, and I have to agree with you the car doesn't have alot of power for it's weight. However, with 4cyl, you have potentials in modifying compare to 6s. For example, with 4cyl you can add a turbo in the near future (if anybody makes them), and I don't believe V6 engine can have turbo. IMO, I don't think you would buy a 6 for its performance, whereas you buy a 6 because for its comfort.

Lastly, like newf said, the 5-spd is quite fun on 6i. ^^

whoa bud..the 6i is pathetically slow. the fully loaded 5speed v6 is real quick..feels faster than the MSP..i love em

Jliao said:
My brother owns a 6i, and I have to agree with you the car doesn't have alot of power for it's weight. However, with 4cyl, you have potentials in modifying compare to 6s. For example, with 4cyl you can add a turbo in the near future (if anybody makes them), and I don't believe V6 engine can have turbo. IMO, I don't think you would buy a 6 for its performance, whereas you buy a 6 because for its comfort.

Lastly, like newf said, the 5-spd is quite fun on 6i. ^^

an old thread from Juan said that HiBoost had purchased a 6i for turbo work

I do have to agree...

4 cylinder 6 was a big dissapoitment for me too...

Few months ago, I thought about trading in my 2002 Altima (4 banger too) for a 6 (4 banger) and also getting a P5 for my wife. Thought it might be worth it as I could get S-plan price for the Mazda 6.

I guess it is an okay car. I was not impressed with interior space nor the drive AT ALL compared to my Altima. Then again, the Altima is sort of powerful for the 4 cyl engine. But there you go... don't expect too much.

My wife is driving her P5 and we're happy with that. I thought P5 handled and drove better than a 4 cylinder Mazda 6, as I testdrove both one after the other.

6 cylinders can have turbo... look at the skyline or supra (although they are I-6es)

Yeah, I can't believe Mazda put a 4 banger in the 6. It would at least need to be turbo. It will be interesting if/when the Mazdaspeed 6 comes out. We'll see if the rumors are true.

It could be a very nice family-only car. Too bad that the performance does not match the looks though :(

But I am sure that 6 cylinder is a different story alltogether. Did not testdrive it as I could not afford it, so I figured - why torture myself? :)

drive the 6i w/ Manual, it makes a HUGE difference

heck, the 6s w/ Manual is quite quick for its weight

damn why am I defending the 6? This should be jobs of actual 6 owners :)

bad compare to P5 I have to say..
6 lacks of the strut bar and rear sway bar like the P5.

Jliao said:
bad compare to P5 I have to say..
6 lacks of the strut bar and rear sway bar like the P5.

it's actually because of the extra weight that makes the 6 feel less nimble than the P5, not because of 2 little silly bars

the 6 actually has a more sophisticated suspension design than the Protege.

That too, but in the end it's still worst than P5 :p

Though, I'm in the process of building my 6 into something different.

i'm not really in the market for a stick right now but how is the v6 on acceleration? is it comparable to others on the market? cuz the 4 cyl and the weight made me more cautious about its speed. any opinions would be great.

test drove the v6 auto yesterday and it felt the same except the v6 was a little bit quicker. do you guys think i'd expect the same thing if i test drove the v6 accords? or the v6 camry? if so...imma get the 6 for its dope ass styling and features.

The 6S auto is quicker off the line than the 6i. The real difference between the two is in the mid-range from about 30MPH on up. Mazda soften the first gear on the V-6 automatic to improve the transmissions life. Once you are in second gear, the car performs much better.

As for the handling, the 6, in either form, is slightly softer feeling but it will actually corner faster than the normal protege or P5. The MP3 or MSP are different animals. The softer feel means that the driver has to work harder in any dramatic transistions. The stock tires on the MZ6S are Michilen All-season tires and are not the hot trick for hard cornering. I know, I tried my wife's MZ6S automatic at an autocross.

I don't know if any of this will help you but that is my opinion.

Back