Should I pull the clear plastic in my door panels?

Poseur

Contributor
:
03.5 Lsr Blue P5
Yes I've done a couple searches, but came up with nothing solid enough to really decide by. I was listening to music with my panel off earlier, and DAMN that thing makes alot of noise. Granted when you've got the panels on it obviously holds tension on it in a ocuple of places, but that's still alot of movey plastic... Has anyone had any weather issues stemming form taking the plastic off? I'd like to e-dead everything and I'd rather avoid the hassle of putting that stuff back in place. Not to mention that tar-putty stuff they use to put it on is nothing short of NASTY. Would I be better off perhaps just putting a tightly taped bit of plastic on the back side of the panel? I'd assume the point of the plastic is to protect the cardboard-ish interior panel from water that obviously gets in the doors.

I guess for now I'll just leave it in place and see if I can detect the sound of it allthatmuch and wait for it to really annoy me. I should note that I snowboard alot. Probobally head up like 3 times a week for most of the winter, so water from melting snow will definately be present.

I wouldn't remove it unless your gonna dynamat the whole door. That plastic is there for a reason - to keep moisture out.

BTW, the evil black grease can be removed from skin quite easily with paint thinner.

Right, well hence the part where I said "I'd like to e-dead everything" I've got a big roll of the stuff just waiting for a purpose... And I'm aware of the purpose of having the plastic, but was wondering to what extent it matters, and if there are any less-noisy alternatives. Have you any experience with doing this?

And, yes, of course paint thinner works. I prefer to use the much less nasty citrus-degreaser, though. I worked in bikeshops for 10 years. Getting my hands cleaned at the end of the day's never a problem for me. That stuff's just a mess in the first place that i can just see myself tracking all over my car by mistake.

I've actually been considering finding some form of a spray-on sealant (hell even clearcoat, or like scotchgard) to put on the back side of my door panel to displace water in lieu of having a big crinkly floppy piece of plastic back there.

I made a how-to on silencing your doors. I removed my plastic covering, but am planning on putting something over the holes to keep the dust back. I never got a response to post it here, as you have to get it approved, but here's a link to it on another board:
Silencing How-to

I actually came across your link in my earlier searches, and I still can't get into that page. I registered and have my password, and logged in, but it says I don't have permission. At anyrate, I think fornow I'm just gonna leave it all. I've covered everything that's not covered by the plastic, and done most of the bottom strip on the back of the outside panel. I've got other stuff to be messing with for now anyways.

I just tore it out. A lot of gooey s***, though. I guess its meant to keep it cleaner in there, although I wouldnt want my speakers getting dirty in the first place. (At least the door before the speakers, damn!)

Glyph> alright I'ma moron, had to grab my e-mail and approve the registration. Very thourough how-to, thanks alot for that. Kind of something I was considering. I've noticed slight plastic-plug rattle in my doors since i got the car, actually. Kinda halfway pondering trying to fix it, but never thought to go through the effort. This is the first I've ever seen of actually taking the window-switch panel off, this is definately a source of noise in my car, and a very noticeable one as it's a piece of plastic that's directly exposed. Looks like I've got a new project as soon as I get everything else in place... Thanks again.

Last edited:
yeah, when I closed up the door, before I did the switch panel, I tested it, and a loud rattle came right from both of those panels. Once I silenced em, it was golden inside! Still have to do my rear deck though, maybe this weekend. Almost no noise left at all. Hope the how-to helps you out.

Back