How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Andy, dude, Bumble G's HOW TO does exactly what you're saying you want. I followed his instructions (read my post) and it works exactly the way it should, which is what you're describing.

what about on U.S. spec cars for bumbleg's how too??? what steps do we skip, improvise, whatever on so that ill work for our cars...we do not have drl so i dont know what to do with that part of the how to...thanks

good question...

the original how to covered that, bumble g's was just for canada... buuuut... if you take the installation steps and subtract the drl stuff, look closely at the wiring diagram and UNDERSTAND it (takes some time to really understand what he had done and why he bypassed stuff), you could do it successfully as well.

basically the drl box sits between the switches and such, not much needs to be done to remove it from the installation steps.

if you don't read diagrams well, show it to a techie and they'll understand it in a sec.

well..i was looking at it and it seems like i just have to bypass one wire...seems tooo easy to me...but we will see..maybe trying this tonight

I did it! Using Bumble G's schematic really helped. For U.S. cars it's a little different, but pretty simple. Look at his schematic and ignore the part about the DRL. Basically, there are two wires you need to work with...the red wire on the relay and the red/white wire on the switch. The red wire on the relay is where it gets the 12V to activate the relay and activate the fog lights. The red/white wire, on the switch, is where the circuit gets its ground. On U.S. cars, this wire goes through the headlight lever to make a ground when in low beam and remove the ground in high beam. So, here's what you do:

1. Cut the red wire on the relay
2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (I piggybacked off my cigarette lighter so the lights can be active with the ignition)
3. Cut the red/white wire on the switch
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

The way I did it, my fog lights now will come on with my ignition and the switch still works to enable and disable. The lights work independent of the conditions of the headlights. If you want to go even further, you can try to find a power source to tap into for the red wire on the relay that only provides power when the engine is running, but this way was pretty simple and foolproof. The only thing you need to remember with the way I did it is that if the key is on (in acc, on) the fog lights will be on if the switch is on.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do it.

Andy

WELL IT WORKS!!!

i did this mod that drew72ca wrote up and it works like a charm...i just hooked the red wire from the relay up to my ignition wire, and the red/white wire from the fog light switch to a ground wire and wwaaallllaaaa...it works...here are some pics of it working...

JUST FOG LIGHTS
fog%20light%20001.jpg

WITH PARKING LAMPS
fog%20light%20002.jpg

REGULAR LIGHTS
fog%20light%20003.jpg

HIGH BEAMS
fog%20light%20004.jpg

Glad a couple of you got it to work. I must say I love it too. I'm basically gonna use mine so I have daytime running lights and full control over the fog lights. I must say it looks pretty cool with just the fog lights on when I have the car on at night.

The credit shouldn't go to me though....Bumble G deserves all the credit since he posted the schematic. With that, it makes it extremely easy to figure out....at least for me. I guess my EE degree and experience comes in handy once in a while...LOL!

Thanks a bunch Bumble!!!

Andy

I did it. Definitely the best 1 hour mod I have ever done. I just wish we could drive in town with only our fogs and city lights on.

well i finished mine aslo! but did the one that stays on with parking lights! gonna try and fix it so it stays on independently!

keola....so if you could help me with that! i dunno which ignition wire to tap into!

lang.......IM DONE!! haha! but see if i get n-e-trouble redoing it tho!

ill post pics of it tomorrow! tired already! plus not to happy cause i shorted out my alarm in the process! so now i gotta buy a freggin new one!

hawaii peeps......know n-e-one who can hook me up with dirt cheap! i know i pmed most of you! haha but i dont wanna spend too much cause i still wanna lower my car! sorry for typing on just tired and a lil'wired! aight yall!

peace.......

I must say, after a couple weeks or so of having this mod done, I love it! I let my fogs stay on all the time, as long as the car is on. Use them as DRL's and I think it looks great. It's really cool at dusk cuz I'll turn on the running lights with them (eventhough I'm probably risking a ticket in good 'ol So Cal). I love when I'm somewehre where I need the brights too, gives that extra light close and to the side of the car that I used to lose when the fogs turned off with the brights. :) How's everyone else liking it, that has done the mod?

Andy

If you go back a page on this thread you will see how I did it so they can be on, even if the parking lights are not. I tapped into the cigarette lighter to provide power to the relay so whenever my key is on, the lights can be on, but they are controlled by the switch. Take a look at the pics and my instructions if you want to do it this way. It's a similar process with a couple little differences, but the pictures and my description should help ya do it.

Andy

*56K WARN*

sorry its late but heres my attempt! haha!

/members/niko/pictures 143.jpg

drew72ca......was planning on doing your way by realying it to the ignition wire but thinking about it i dont really wanna keep turning off and on my fogs when i start my cause i dont wanna drive with them on during the day but i dunno? maybe i still will haha! thanks for the info tho!

Last edited:
Yeah, my mod is definitely if you want control of the fogs without having to turn on the parking lights. I did it that way cuz I WANTED to have them on all the time so they also function as DRL's, but I can see your point as to having to shut the fog switch off during the day if you don't want them on. It's cool we have a couple ways to do it now so everyone can pick their preference :)

Andy

i love the mod...i have auto start and a turbo timer so that s*** goes on and stays on longer than when im in the car....its pretty co0L because people trip out and look in the car all the time because i can start it when im not in there...i just looks a lot better and all you have to do to turn it off is press the button....how hard is that???

dumb keola.....just to freggin lazy! haha! its just that dont wanna keep doin it cause i have after market bulbs in my fogs and dont wanna keep ordering it and replacing them nah mean? if i had the stocks in i wouldve done it in a heart beat! but yeah i dunno still thinking bout it! cause it does look cleaner with out the parking lights! but your auto start is freggin' sick dude!

Just finished - about 20mins - thanks to the How To w/ Pictures that yOsky did. Now I have to wait for dusk to experience my new found Mod.

Latest posts

Back