How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Quick question. . .
with this mod, do the fog lights come on without the parking lights too? I'm guessing not.

I messed around with the fog lights tonight (bored / frustrated) and I hooked them up two different ways but couldn't get what I wanted (I was not trying this mod though). Here's what I found I could do by re-wiring the switch.

I managed to get the fog lights to come on all alone and with the parking lights, but then they would shut off when I turned on the headlights. Cool, but not cool.

I then wired them up where they did not turn on until the headlights were on, but I could then keep them on when I went to my brights. . .again, cool, but not cool.

Now, I need to figure out how to do both, then I'm set. I'm trying not to re-wire the whole damn thing in the process. But I think I'm stuck with the relay. It is switching the lights from a voltage source to a ground. . .just a simple relay trick, but I'm having problems isolating the signal I want. Anyway, I gave up. . .Miller time.

Just wondering if others have had much luck. If I find more time, I'm sure I'll come up with something. In the mean time. . .I guess I'll work on figuring out how to get the fog lights on my 6 to work. Damn sparky crap.

I haven't tried this yet, but do you have to remove the panel (foglight switch) in order to get to the wires behind it? If so, what' the best way of taking it out?

MisterT

Maybe with this mod I won't have to worry about headlights dimming to the bass. I can just run my fog lights and parking lights on at night! :D Damn whimpy wiring in Proteges. I have to upgrade wires from alt to battery now! :mad: I am not expecting any improvements because I tried Groundkit and a bigger battery, and was using a 1.5 farad cap from the beginning. :rolleyes:

MisterT

Ok did the foglight mod today...and if you follow the schematics that Bubble G has made it will work. Just take into account that US made cars do not have the DRL unit.

My foglights work with the parking lights on and also when the headlights are on high beam.

-Alan

ARunto said:
Ok did the foglight mod today...and if you follow the schematics that Bubble G has made it will work. Just take into account that US made cars do not have the DRL unit.

My foglights work with the parking lights on and also when the headlights are on high beam.

-Alan

Cool. Do you have to remove the panel with the controls of the fog lights to get to the wires behind the fog light switch? That was my biggest problem, trying to get to wires behind the foglight switch.:rolleyes:

MisterT

Best thing to do is pop the side panel out I did from the bottom and poped it inside out...You'll see the connector to for the foglight switch.

-Alan

i'd just like to say that this is a very good "how to" because if a dork like myself can do it then N-E 1 can do it. plus it's cool!

djstan said:
this mod actually lets you keep the fogs on with high beams

which mod are you talking about??? the original, or the one that bumble g made??? and if its the one that bumble g made..will this work on a U.S. spec car??? i want to actually get them to run without any of the lights (parking, regular, high beams) on but no one can figure that out yet...so im just wondering if any U.S. spec cars out there got their fogs to work with parking, regular, and high beams on...

thanks in advance

i did the bubble g mod...i can get the fogs to work with parking lights, high beams, and low beams.

solid man! thanks...did you actually use a female to male connector between the two or did you actually splice the wires? im thinking just make it permanent and use crimpers and splice them...anyone know any draw backs to these mods??? thanks

Will someone "please" post pictures of how to do this mama jamma PLEASE?!?! I tried to post pictures.. I'm doing mine on an 03 Mazda.. Can someone help me out on this ?? PLEASE?!?!

duMb KeoLa said:
solid man! thanks...did you actually use a female to male connector between the two or did you actually splice the wires? im thinking just make it permanent and use crimpers and splice them...anyone know any draw backs to these mods??? thanks

I spliced into the wires. Everything has been working great.

hey guys im a newbie. does this even work on a 2003? i can't figure out anything cuz i can't even get the panel off to begin! if someone lived in the bham area and would like to help that'd be great or send me some pictures or just tell me no that'd be great.

Hey guys...I tried to figure out on my own how to get TOTAL control of the fog lights to where they would work as long as the ignition is on. I did this with taking the original how-to and taking some voltage and continuity measurements. Made a mistake somewhere and burned the relay, but I'm working on figuring it out still with a tech at my work. I think the schematic Bubble G or Bumble G (whatever the name was...LOL) will help. I'm also gonna talk to the delaer to see if I can con 'em outta a schematic. I'm looking to take it a couple steps further to tap into a power source that is only on when the engine is running. Then the fog light switch will have power and work. This idea will allow the fog lights to be turned on or off anytime the engine is running with no reference to the headlights or parking lights at all. This will also prevent them from coming on whenver the engine isn't running (no dead batteries).

I'll let you knowe how to do it when I figure it out.

A couple questions...

mikebluep5 and ghostp5...

what diameter, width and offset are the wheels you have? the ones shown in your sigs? what size tires also?

Later,

Andy

Latest posts

Back