How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

hey guys,

I just realized something. The original reason I was hesistant in trying this mod was that no one so far has accounted for the Daytime Running Lights here in Canada. Our headlights stay on ALL the time at a low setting. It's the law here.

So even if I do this mod, i have to find a way to kill the DRL's. Does anyone know how to do this?

Anyone have a workshop wiring manual for the Canadian version of the car?

another outstanding how-to from no other than us,lol!!!
Good job yosky thats three and one more on its way.

Comming soon, Mazda6 lowering springs install How-to. Stay tuned!!!

Y0sky.. Excellent how to. One question does this work on the '02 Protege LX's as well? I saw yours was a P5 so I was a bit concerned. Can anyone verify?

I did this on a mp3 and mazdaspeed protege this weekend. It was exactly the same. I figure all 3rd gen proteges are the same.

Has anyone tried listening to the fog lamp relay to see if when the high beam are hit, the realy triggers???

If so, it may be triggered in that relay (power from the high beam triggers the relay open, cutting power to the fogs).

would i still have control over turning on and off my fog lights like before the mod?

Yes. Just hit the button ;)

Looks good, Bill! What a cool and easy little upgrade, huh?(rockon)
352137_35_full.jpg

Last edited:
It is one of the best low buck modifications.

It didn't cost me anything, I had all the parts in my garage already.

I am still wondering how to get all 6 lights to stay on though.
But for the time being I am happy with this mod.

Thanks again for spelling it out for us.

Drive with pride ... the Protege 5. (the new MAZDA 3 is ugly)

Bill

INiTiAL33 said:
so anyone know how to do this on a Canadian spec Protege?

If anyone can figure it out that would be great...

i second that, does anyone know how to do so? the extra bit of canadian bacon is the daytime running lamps, if anyone knows how to kill them, we'd have ourselves a hero.

I guess if you wanted to get into the wiring you could get a switch and interupt the elelctricity that goes into the DRL's.

Toggle off = DRLs off
Toggle on = DRLs on.

Another fog light swich from a wrecked protege5 would fit nicely next to the original swich and get rid of that useless "coin holder".

Just a redneck suggestion since there hasn't been one yet.

hmm....from what im seeing in y0sky's mod and in mike's mod, it seems as if the relay boxes r located in different places...mike, did u install this in a p5 or just a sedan? and what year is ur car since they may have moved the box to another place?

Last edited:
rednecks_r_us said:
I guess if you wanted to get into the wiring you could get a switch and interupt the elelctricity that goes into the DRL's.

Toggle off = DRLs off
Toggle on = DRLs on.

Another fog light swich from a wrecked protege5 would fit nicely next to the original swich and get rid of that useless "coin holder".

Just a redneck suggestion since there hasn't been one yet.

thanks red, apreciate the effort. only problem is, i haven't been able to figure out which wires are for the DRL's. doesn't seem to be anyone here with the shop manual for the cdn spec.

can i cut the wires and use the space connectors with the ease that it will still work?...cause i dont wanna go and cut wires without it working but i also dont want to pull connectors out of harnesses and try to put new ones that fit into it...

edit: it works!!! pics coming later!

Last edited:
if anyone can figure out how to do this with the Canadian cars i'll buy them a drink!...lol

Scenerio is like this :

1) want to get a HID kit.....
2) want the fogs to become the DRL

yeah FlyPinoY7! There's so many of us doing this mod, pretty soon people in Cali will think P5s come stock like ours. ;)

To answer an earlier question: Yes, the P5 and 3rd gen sedan are exactly the same. About 5 of us did it at once during a Hwy 9 meet, and one guy had a 2002 ES. His wiring was identical to ours. :)

Where's all the the Canadian Wiring gurus? Throw these guys a bone, will ya?

Last edited:
Canada cant get no love. I would love to do this mod but am cursed with the drl's. one way of terminating the DRL's is to ground your e brake cabel perminantly at the handle, but then you have to deal with the brake light being on. If anyone can figure out a way around this. please post.

Latest posts

Back