How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS: I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, EVEN IF RESULTING IN INJURY TO YOU OR TO YOUR CAR, SO PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM CLEARLY BEFORE BEGINNING, PLEASE I WOULD HATE FOR YOU TO MESS UP YOUR EXPENSIVE TOY! ALSO GET THE CORRECT PARTS/TOOLS, BELOW IS A SUPPLY/TOOL LIST:
1)Small, very small flat blade screw driver, or equivalent
2)wire cutters/crimpers
3)electrical tape
4)female and male spade connectors 16-18 gauge size, small/narrow and big/wide ones. check your parts stores. you will see what size later in the instructions when you remove the wires from the harnesses.
5)approx 15-20" of wire preferably 16-18 gauge
6)Possibly a pair of needle nose pliers for removing/installing the wires in the harnesses.
7)approx. 45-60 minutes for a good clean install.(trust me it pays off in the end with the look of the lights and the much better quality job, rather than cutting up the wires of your baby)

ok guys i have done this mod and i will tell you how to do it cleanly and easily and can be reversed in a matter of minutes. All you are doing is replacing the turn on wire for the relay, instead of getting power from your headlight power you are getting it from the illumination power for the gauge lights (im assuming) although that doesnt matter as long as the relay gets the voltage to open and turn on the lights.
Ok with that said, here is how i did it:

1)Open the drivers door and remove the panel on the side of the dash, it helps to reach under the dash and push out on it, on the part closer to the driver (not the door hinge side, it slips in the groove).
2)Locate the relay-its under the dash by the clutch pedal, there should be like 3-4 small black boxes, locate the one for the fog lights by turning them on and off while listening closely/and or feeling. I had to listen and feel as all the relays look the same.(Small black boxes for those who dont know).
3)locate the back of the foglight switch.
4)start by removing the harness from the relay and the foglight switch.
5)on the harness removed from the relay start by using a very small flat head (blade) screwdriver or equivalent, remove the (Red, larger wire) wire, by pushing on the small metal clip inside the harness, look closely and you will see how it is held in there, its not as difficult as it sounds, i promise.
6) Using the same procedure as above (5) do the same in removing the (green/black) wire from the harness that plugs into the foglight switch.
7)once both are removed this is where the fun begins, start with a short peice of wire, approx 8-10" long. On one end crimp on a female spade connector, this will be inserted back into the harness going to the relay, where you removed the wire in step 5.
8) tape the end of the wire removed in step 5 so no shorting occurs , also tape it to another loom under the dash so it doesnt dangle.
9)ok pay attention here, on the other end of the wire in step 7 attatch another short peice of wire approx 5" long by twisting them together, crimp them together with another female spade connecter.
10) on the other end of the short wire in step 9, crimp on a male spade connector.
11)ok now the connecting wire should be complete, take the remaining female connecter and put it back in the foglight harness where you removed the one in step 6(green/black wire).
12) this should leave you with the wire you removed from the foglight switch in step 6 (green/black) and a short piece of wire with a male spade on it (created in step 9).
13) the wire removed from the foglight switch in step 6 should have a female spade on it, take the male spade on the short wire that you created in step 9, and plug it into the female spade removed from the foglight switch in step 6, (the green/black) wire.
14) tape all remaining exposed connections (should only have one) and voila you are done, the fogs come on with the parking lights and with the headlights and the fog swith is still functional.

ATTENTION !!!- I made a typo in the little graphic, on the very bottom right caption where it says "you removed the red wire, and the green and black wires" it should be " you removed the red wire and the green/black wires, as in the red wire from the relay harness and the green&black<--- (1) wire from the fog switch. And also try and find the appropriate size spade connectors, as they have smaller and larger ones-narrow and wide, so pull em out and see what you need before beginning.

I will attach an image of the jumper wire i created, this will be a paint image not a actual image of mine, it is 1:00 am here, youre lucky you are reading this!
If any more detailed info is needed(it shouldnt be) then shoot me an email.
Mike
fog%20light%20rewire.jpg

Last edited:
i just did mine the way i did for the reason of not cutting and being able to return it to factory very easily, but either method could be returned to factory easily now that i think of it, all you would have to do is crimp a new female spade on the red relay wire and put it back into the harness and undo the tap on the green/black wire, so whatever method they all work, i just wanted cleanliness, as i plan to add an alarm here in the near future, and i didnt want excess wiring in the way.
Mike

Thanks MikeblueP5

Mike, you are awsome!!!!! I just did the fog light mod on my P5. Worked like a charm. Your instructs were a great help. I had to run back to the car store twice because I just could not find the right size female spade connector! That was the only thing that sucked, took like 2 hours to do. Dumb spade connectors. Your end was tight. I followed the instructs word for word and it came out flawless and looks great. I love the fact that I can restore to OEM whenever I want (hmmm...did somebody say warranty?). Thanks Mike and if you do other mods post them just like this one and I will be sure to do it. Peace out.

hey, glad i could help!! thats what i wrote it for. Yeah i had a problem with the female spades too, i think i might have ended up trimming them to make them narrower so they would fit in there.

Mikebluep5,

I followed your plan and it works great for the fogs to be on with the parking lights or low beams.

Has anybody figured out how to keep fogs on with the high beams?

Later,

Bill

(laserp5)

nope not yet, that i know of. I might crawl back under the dash and search for the wire that causes this to happen. I might wait until i get my alarm before i do it though. I will keep you guys updated if i figure it out.
Mike

I found a way to get all the lights to stay on but it by-passes the fog light switch.

If you follow mikebluep5's plan then you can make a jumper wire to connect the circuits in the switch, but it doesn't allow the use of the switch any more.

If you remove the side panel on the dash and remove the fog light swich you can see four wires go into it. One being the new red wire from Mikes plan or the stock black/green.

If you hold the switch so that the new red wire is on the lower left of the four wires then you can connect the lower right wire to the upper left wire while still attached to the fog light switch.

X X
\
R X

I am not going to do this method because I don't know what it'll do to the electrical system.

Mikes method works except the fogs go off if you turn on the high beams. The fogs will also go off if you have the parking lights on but you move the lever foward to the high beam position.

There is something between the relay, the fogs and the high beams that is causing the fogs to turn off. I will find it.

The front of the car looks AWESOME with all 6 lights on!

Later,

Bill

Fog Lights

Can someone post the link on where the pictures are of doing the fog light switch. Someone mentioned Protegeclub, but Im not sure where they are?

Can someone post a link that points me to the right place?

eggynatey said:
We had a foglight party today. :)
fbd3f700.jpg

fbd3f898.jpg

Hey eggynatey,

It looks like all those cards have their side markers and fogs only. How did you guys do it?! Did you use the instructions here?

djstan said:

Hey eggynatey,

It looks like all those cards have their side markers and fogs only. How did you guys do it?! Did you use the instructions here?

LMFAO.... Yes that's what will happen if you follow the directions at the start of this thread...

Back