How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Here is what i did: cut the red/black wire, Ground the end that comes from the switch and cut the blue wire from the switch. What this does is you can have the fogs on low or high beam , they still work with the lights on only but i dond't see the point of having them on without the lights.

laserblueP5 said:
Here is what i did: cut the red/black wire, Ground the end that comes from the switch and cut the blue wire from the switch. What this does is you can have the fogs on low or high beam , they still work with the lights on only but i dond't see the point of having them on without the lights.

Then what was the point of you doing this ? (boom03)

Last edited:
I tried it today and it didn't work. It turned my headlights on instead of the fogs. I connected to the right wires (red at the black block and green/black at the switch.) What could have been wired wrong? Is the green/black for sure the wire I want? There is a green/blue coming out of the switch.

easiest freakin mod. took no time at all. if you have little to no electronics experience (like me) this will make you feel a lot better about yourself haha.

hey everyone asking about the fogs and highbeams on at the same time. im not sure if its mentioned in the so many pages of posts cause truthfully i dont have the time to read it all right now but finding a way to have fogs and highbeams on at the same time may be a bad idea for some of you guys. check your local laws, im not sure about other states but i know for a fact in pa that is 100% illegal. I just did an inspection on a car that had aftermarket fogs hooked up to a manual switch and that is also illegal here, I had to fail him, until he takes that switch out noone in pa is allowed to pass him. your fogs must turn off automatically when the highbeams are active, too much candle power.

day lights on when handbrake off?

Damn this is tricky...I want to run with NO lights on daytime but when I release the handbrake...I have freakin' day lights on!!

Anyone knows how to cut them off?

N.B. I own a canadian P5 :D

Did the mod!

Pretty easy with Bumble G techs :)
All the shematics and description, an easy how to when you search a bit!

Okay, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 07 Mazdaspeed6 GT this past Saturday. I traded in my 04 6i HB. I would love to do the fog light mod where they run independent of the headlight and parking lights, while still being controlled by the switch on the stalk. I've read through all the post and saw numerous ways. My concern is there is no clear description for the MZ6! I don't want to screw anything up by cutting/splicing, whatever the wrong wires. Can someone please help a brotha out? I need exact wire colors, locations, ect for the Speed 6. Thanks.

Okay, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 07 Mazdaspeed6 GT this past Saturday. I traded in my 04 6i HB. I would love to do the fog light mod where they run independent of the headlight and parking lights, while still being controlled by the switch on the stalk. I've read through all the post and saw numerous ways. My concern is there is no clear description for the MZ6! I don't want to screw anything up by cutting/splicing, whatever the wrong wires. Can someone please help a brotha out? I need exact wire colors, locations, ect for the Speed 6. Thanks.
Your solution is going to be more complicated because your control is on the stalk. You have two goals:
1. Find out where your fog light relay is
2. Find the fog light control wires from the stalk, it's probably part of the fuse box or something

At that point you can follow the same directions as on post 146/151. It would also be good if you had a multimeter to make sure you are hooking up ground and power to the correct sources. In the MSP, the fog switch only gets power with the lights are turned on. Then when you flip the switch, it completes a circuit that goes to the fog relay. Hooking up the green/black wire to the relay bypasses the system so the fog switch getting dimmer power (through the green/black wire) then turns on the relay and turns on the fog lights.

Here are the instuctions we have found. If someone has better instructions, private message one of the mods with the newer, better instructions.

I WAS WORKING ON MY CAR AND IM FAIRLY NEW TO WORKING ON CAR I PRINTED A FORUM OUT ON REWIRING FOGLIGHTS . SO I POPPED THE SIDE PANAL OFF DICONNECTED THE WIRING HARNESS I CUT THE RED WIRE AND RAN A WIRE FROM THE PLACE THE RED WIRE WAS TO THE GREEN WIRE . IT WORKS PRETTY GOOD THE FOGLIGHTS WORK WITH THE HIGH AND LOW BEANS AND KNOW THEY ALSO FLASH WITH MY ALARM BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM THAT I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX . THE GUAGE CLUSTER LIGHTS OR ANY OF THE LIGHT ON THE RADIO OR AIR BUTTONS DONT LIGHT UP . THEY ONLY FLASH WHEN I CLICK THE ALARM . IF U HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS PLEASE HELP ME .

Well, I did this mod this weekend and it worked great. As I stated in the previous post I made a few changes to the previous mods to get the functionality that I wanted:

1. Fog light switch still functional
2. Fog lights come on with parking lights
3. Fog lights stay on with high beams

It was actually really easy. For completeness I'll list all the steps that I performed.

1. Remove the panel on the side of the fog light switch. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the panel out (it just pops off).
2. Locate the fog light relay under the dash by your left foot. As stated before it is easy to find by listening and feeling it while you toggle the fog light switch.
3. Cut the red wire and tape off the end that does not connect to the relay. Make sure you leave enough wire connected to the relay so you can attach your own wire.
4. Attach a wire of your own to the red wire on the relay.
5. Route the wire up to your fog light switch. (tape it to the other wires under the dash so that it is secure and out of the way)
6. Splice this wire to the green/black wire at the fog light switch.
7. If you want your fogs to stay on with your brights, you need to ground the red/white wire at the switch. I did this by cutting the red/white wire and splicing it (the end leading into the switch) to the blue/white wire of the switch. This is the ground for the switch illumination.
8. Tape the red/white wire (the end going to the harness) up so there are no shorts.
9. Re-install the side panel by popping it back on.

All done! This can easily be done in less than a half hour. If you do not want your fogs to stay on with the brights, skip steps 7 and 8. It is technically illegal to have more than 4 lights on at once while on public roads, but since you will dim the brights whenever anyone is close - I don't see how anyone will be able to tell the highs/lows/fogs are all on at the same time.

Just did this mod.. worked perfectly.... alltho my hands are frozen because its freezing rain out side.... and like 4 inches of snow. but it was a quick mod and works... now i need to buy another bulb for my fogs as only one works :p

okay i have a canadian p5 and most of the mods i understand dont work on canadian p5s except for Bumble G's but the link is not working for his and i cant find directions for it anywhere can anyone help out on how to do this with pics or a copy of his instructions thanks

I just did my fog lights always on as per reply of Bumble G's and drew72ca's method and works fine, my protege 5 is a US spec.The only thing I did different was take the 12V source of the dim light switch besides the fog lights switch. I tap the red wire of the relay to the green/black wire of the dim switch, so the fog lights will have power when the parking lights are on and you will not leave them on when getting out of the car because of the damn buzz they make when lights are on. The best of all is that the fog lights switch still works and you can shut down them from that switch too. Also when I arm or disarm the alarm they blink, great look too for the alarm. Just 15 Minutes of work and for free......
Thanks a lot for theses guys. Keep it up...
Deivett

I did it this way too and it works great. No flash with door lock and it is pretty much the normal stock way but we can keep them on with high beam and they also come on with the markers. The mod done this way will not keep them on with just the ignition and the switch the lights must be on to some extent.

It took me about a half hour to do while trying to keep an eye on my "helper":) 0702091914.jpg

Here is a pic of my ground to allow the fogs with high beam.
0702091909.jpg

And here are the payoff shots.
0702091908.jpg
0702091907a.jpg
0702091907.jpg

She needs a bath but still looks good to me. I also did the window power always on mod and it was by far the easiest thing I have ever done.

One thing I forgot, if you do not cut the red wire on the relay to do the splice the parking lights will feedback through that wire and the headlights will come on in the parking light position. I found this out when I tested and I just did the splice without cutting the red relay wire.

Dik

Last edited:
I also just did this. First try didn't work, and I thought I misread the first post and switched what wire I tapped into. Something wasn't right and tried again the first way I did it.

To clear up ANY connfussion, you connect the wire coming OUT OF THE RELAY to the new wire, NOT the other half of the red wire.

For pics that work, refer to post #151 in this thread, http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1129377&postcount=151

I did it this way too and it works great. No flash with door lock and it is pretty much the normal stock way but we can keep them on with high beam and they also come on with the markers. The mod done this way will not keep them on with just the ignition and the switch the lights must be on to some extent.

It took me about a half hour to do while trying to keep an eye on my "helper":)View attachment 152386

Here is a pic of my ground to allow the fogs with high beam.
View attachment 152387

And here are the payoff shots.
View attachment 152388
View attachment 152389
View attachment 152390

She needs a bath but still looks good to me. I also did the window power always on mod and it was by far the easiest thing I have ever done.

One thing I forgot, if you do not cut the red wire on the relay to do the splice the parking lights will feedback through that wire and the headlights will come on in the parking light position. I found this out when I tested and I just did the splice without cutting the red relay wire.

Dik

High Beams + Low Beams + Fogs = Freaking bright at night!

Back