How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

enry

Administrator
HOW TO: rewire fogs for always on

Here are the instuctions we have found. If someone has better instructions, private message one of the mods with the newer, better instructions.

Pull off the side panel of the drivers dash (between the dash and the door), it's just clips and pulls directly off. You'll access the wiring behind the fog light switch here. Look up under the dash, above where your left foot sits. There's four electronic boxes, the smallest (Black) one is the fogs relay. Feel it click as you turn the fogs on and off from the switch. Find the red wire going into the relay, and cut it. Connect a piece of wire to the red wire going into the relay, and run it up to the fog switch. Insulate the other end (no short circuits here). At the fog switch, tap that new wire into the light green/black wire, and you're done. Now the fogs come on with parking lights and headlights. They'll still shut off with high beams, though. I'm still working on that solution.

STTL013: Hey I remember that post when it first came out, did you ever find a way to keep the fogs on with the high beams? Mabye they don't want you to because haveing all the lights on at the same time would be too much of a drain on our (weak, at least in my experience) alternator.

hold on....quick questions for some people who did this mod...A) when u cut the red wire u connect a wire to the wire goin into the relay----not coming out...correct?

B) what is meant when u say "TAP" that wire to the grn/blk wire goin to fogs?????.....how that hell do u tap into the wire....anyone know....

NYCZMP3 said:
hold on....quick questions for some people who did this mod...A) when u cut the red wire u connect a wire to the wire goin into the relay----not coming out...correct?

B) what is meant when u say "TAP" that wire to the grn/blk wire goin to fogs?????.....how that hell do u tap into the wire....anyone know....

I'm pretty sure to tap a wire means to bare it (to the metal) and "Tap" another wire to it meaning you have another bare wire and attach it to the exposed part of the other, be that just wraping it around it or sodering it or whatever....I think. :)

derrick1623 said:
to 'tap' into the wire.use a splicer(found at radio shack)

god NOOOOOOO! strip some of the wire, use a pick to seperate the copper strands into 2 sides then strip the wire you want to connect insert that end through the loop formed by the other wire then wrap it around tight and tape it with super 33 tape, other then soilder and shrink wrap this is the best possible way to connect wires.

1st MP3 in NH said:

god NOOOOOOO! strip some of the wire, use a pick to seperate the copper strands into 2 sides then strip the wire you want to connect insert that end through the loop formed by the other wire then wrap it around tight and tape it with super 33 tape, other then soilder and shrink wrap this is the best possible way to connect wires.

Yeah, what I said. :D

s***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ok...i took tap as splice and i cut the wire....i hooked it up and it didnt work...i put the wires back (pure ghetto rig)..and tey work...is there any way u think i can get this to work like it should with a cut wire?

ok... but how do you...

hey guys, having the fogs come on with the running lights and whatnot is fine, but here's what i've always wanted to do...

1- Fogs on and and yellow indicator lights on only. no DRL's!

so really the questions is a two parter:

1- how do i disable the DRL's completely?
2- how do i operate the fog lights as i wish regardless of what lights are enabled? (how can i run the fog's whenever i want)

hope someone knows!

Canadian Version ?

Has anyone done this on a Canadian Car with DTRL? I tried on my P5 this weekend and the net affect is exactly the same. The fogs act the same as they did before I re-wired them.

David

Re: Canadian Version ?

strider said:
Has anyone done this on a Canadian Car with DTRL? I tried on my P5 this weekend and the net affect is exactly the same. The fogs act the same as they did before I re-wired them.

David

I have tried it too and it's not working .. I have a Canadian P5

Anyone can help us to re-wire the fogs so that they will work with daylights ?

Dave

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pull off the side panel of the drivers dash (between the dash and the door), it's just clips and pulls directly off. You'll access the wiring behind the fog light switch here. Look up under the dash, above where your left foot sits. There's four electronic boxes, the smallest (Black) one is the fogs relay. Feel it click as you turn the fogs on and off from the switch. Find the red wire going into the relay, and cut it. Connect a piece of wire to the red wire going into the relay, and run it up to the fog switch. Insulate the other end (no short circuits here). At the fog switch, tap that new wire into the light green/black wire, and you're done. Now the fogs come on with parking lights and headlights. They'll still shut off with high beams, though. I'm still working on that solution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone post pictures of this. I feel like the directions aren't all that clear. I just can't decipher which section of the cut wire goes where. Thanks.

Linux,
Thanks, I'll be able to figure it out among all the sources. Out of curiousity, do you know if the fog lights will always come on when the parking lights come on or can do you still have switch control over them. It doesn't seem like you would. For example, I did a similar mod to my Probe but once the parking lights are on, I still have the option to have the fogs on or off. Thanks in advance.

jroof said:
Linux,
Thanks, I'll be able to figure it out among all the sources. Out of curiousity, do you know if the fog lights will always come on when the parking lights come on or can do you still have switch control over them. It doesn't seem like you would. For example, I did a similar mod to my Probe but once the parking lights are on, I still have the option to have the fogs on or off. Thanks in advance.

The fog mod ONLY work with US P5, anyone have found how to mod the fogs with Canadian P5.

Dave

you need to reconnect to a constant, to keep the foglights on whenever you want, by disconnecting the trigger to the parking lights..havent tried it yet but will let you know as soon as i do it..tommorrow or the next..pm if u have any others inquiries..

Does anyone know what the red wire is? (excuse my terms, I'm not very familiar with auto relays), but is it the high feed, or the low feed? And are you just tapping them into a parking light feed?

Back