Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Owner / Admin

Audi A4 S-Line

HOW TO: rewire fogs for always on

Here are the instuctions we have found. If someone has better instructions, private message one of the mods with the newer, better instructions.

Pull off the side panel of the drivers dash (between the dash and the door), it's just clips and pulls directly off. You'll access the wiring behind the fog light switch here. Look up under the dash, above where your left foot sits. There's four electronic boxes, the smallest (Black) one is the fogs relay. Feel it click as you turn the fogs on and off from the switch. Find the red wire going into the relay, and cut it. Connect a piece of wire to the red wire going into the relay, and run it up to the fog switch. Insulate the other end (no short circuits here). At the fog switch, tap that new wire into the light green/black wire, and you're done. Now the fogs come on with parking lights and headlights. They'll still shut off with high beams, though. I'm still working on that solution.

Sausage King of Chicago sttl013's Avatar

Hey that's my post dammit!! Copywrite infringemint!!
    Actually, just kidding. Glad I could help.

STTL013: Hey I remember that post when it first came out, did you ever find a way to keep the fogs on with the high beams? Mabye they don't want you to because haveing all the lights on at the same time would be too much of a drain on our (weak, at least in my experience) alternator.
    2002 Protege 5
    1977 Celica GT

hold on....quick questions for some people who did this mod...A) when u cut the red wire u connect a wire to the wire goin into the relay----not coming out...correct?

B) what is meant when u say "TAP" that wire to the grn/blk wire goin to fogs?????.....how that hell do u tap into the wire....anyone know....
    !!!!4 THA H8RZ!!!!!!!
    MP3#- 197 of 1500

Originally posted by NYCZMP3
    hold on....quick questions for some people who did this mod...A) when u cut the red wire u connect a wire to the wire goin into the relay----not coming out...correct?

B) what is meant when u say "TAP" that wire to the grn/blk wire goin to fogs?????.....how that hell do u tap into the wire....anyone know....
    I'm pretty sure to tap a wire means to bare it (to the metal) and "Tap" another wire to it meaning you have another bare wire and attach it to the exposed part of the other, be that just wraping it around it or sodering it or whatever....I think.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $40

'07 Mazda3, True red

to 'tap' into the wire.use a splicer(found at radio shack)
    R.I.P... Mazda MP3 #556-"blue streak"-----------------------------------
    -2007 Mazda3, I-Touring - True Red, Sirius Starmate 4,(monkey) moonroof deflector ... with SITE STICKERS!
    5" tv and volt-gauge custom fiberglass pod, ps2, 10" Kenwood sub(MP3 model), polk audio 5250 5 1/4" components...tv replacing ashtray...

The motor is being rebuilt, at 80~k, miles, it spun a bearing on the fourth cylinder...New piston, rings, connecting rod bearings, oil pump, water pump

Donated: $25

2006 Toyota Tundra DC

Originally posted by derrick1623
    to 'tap' into the wire.use a splicer(found at radio shack)
    god NOOOOOOO! strip some of the wire, use a pick to seperate the copper strands into 2 sides then strip the wire you want to connect insert that end through the loop formed by the other wire then wrap it around tight and tape it with super 33 tape, other then soilder and shrink wrap this is the best possible way to connect wires.
    MECP certified Installer, Infocomm CTS-D certified System Designer

2009 Nissan Xterra
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Originally posted by 1st MP3 in NH

god NOOOOOOO! strip some of the wire, use a pick to seperate the copper strands into 2 sides then strip the wire you want to connect insert that end through the loop formed by the other wire then wrap it around tight and tape it with super 33 tape, other then soilder and shrink wrap this is the best possible way to connect wires.
    Yeah, what I said.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ok...i took tap as splice and i cut the wire....i hooked it up and it didnt work...i put the wires back (pure ghetto rig)..and tey work...is there any way u think i can get this to work like it should with a cut wire?

ok... but how do you...

hey guys, having the fogs come on with the running lights and whatnot is fine, but here's what i've always wanted to do...

1- Fogs on and and yellow indicator lights on only. no DRL's!

so really the questions is a two parter:

1- how do i disable the DRL's completely?
    2- how do i operate the fog lights as i wish regardless of what lights are enabled? (how can i run the fog's whenever i want)

hope someone knows!
    2K1 Protege ES 2.0 M/T

exterior
    silver - tints - PIAA Super Xtreme H4 + H3 - Bumble G's Fog Light Mod
    interior
    JVC KD-SH9700 - rear deck /Alpine - front /Infinity Kappa
    performance
    Top Speed: 123MPH - TWM SS
    total cost to date
    $1300 CDN

I'm a TuffAss.

Question Canadian Version ?

Has anyone done this on a Canadian Car with DTRL? I tried on my P5 this weekend and the net affect is exactly the same. The fogs act the same as they did before I re-wired them.

David

Mazda5 GT 2009

Re: Canadian Version ?

Originally posted by strider
    Has anyone done this on a Canadian Car with DTRL? I tried on my P5 this weekend and the net affect is exactly the same. The fogs act the same as they did before I re-wired them.

David
    I have tried it too and it's not working .. I have a Canadian P5

Anyone can help us to re-wire the fogs so that they will work with daylights ?

Dave

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pull off the side panel of the drivers dash (between the dash and the door), it's just clips and pulls directly off. You'll access the wiring behind the fog light switch here. Look up under the dash, above where your left foot sits. There's four electronic boxes, the smallest (Black) one is the fogs relay. Feel it click as you turn the fogs on and off from the switch. Find the red wire going into the relay, and cut it. Connect a piece of wire to the red wire going into the relay, and run it up to the fog switch. Insulate the other end (no short circuits here). At the fog switch, tap that new wire into the light green/black wire, and you're done. Now the fogs come on with parking lights and headlights. They'll still shut off with high beams, though. I'm still working on that solution.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone post pictures of this. I feel like the directions aren't all that clear. I just can't decipher which section of the cut wire goes where. Thanks.

Donated: $15

2001 Mazda MP3

Go to ProtegeClub, and do a search. I think TheMan had some good instructions.
    Performance Mods:[Steedspeed v2. Turbo Manifold] [Precision PTE CEA 5130 Turbo] [Pope 3-inch Downpipe] [Molnar Forged Rods] [Wiseco Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [NSN Motorsports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer] [Haltech E6X Stand Alone] [Haltech Boost Controller] [2007 WRX 565cc Dark Blue Injectors] [AEM UEGO 30-4100 Wideband O2 Sensor] [Vibrant 3-inch TurboBack Exhaust with Custom 3-inch mid Pipe] [ ACT Z66-XTSS Clutch] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Synapse Synchronic BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [PWR High Performance Radiator PWR1306] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ] [Tein SS Coilover Suspension ] Other Mods: [Intel Atom-based Touchscreen Car PC] [Defi D-Series Boost Gauge] [Nordskog Digital Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges] [Dave B. Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings]
    The things we own will eventually end up owning us one way or another....

Linux,
    Thanks, I'll be able to figure it out among all the sources. Out of curiousity, do you know if the fog lights will always come on when the parking lights come on or can do you still have switch control over them. It doesn't seem like you would. For example, I did a similar mod to my Probe but once the parking lights are on, I still have the option to have the fogs on or off. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast