1st. Problem w/ my P5 - Auto Tranny

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I was coming home late lastnight on a road where the speed limit is normally 45 mph. They are doing road work and the speed limit is now 30 mph for about a 2 mile stretch. At 30mph, 1100-1200 RPMs, my foot is barely touching the gas. The car feels like it is shuttering with a "clunking noise". Almost like the tranny cant decide what gear it wants to be in. Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this.? :wtf:

The car has an auto tranny with 14k miles on it and I wanted to ask you guys before I take it to the dealer.

Any information is greatly appreciated..

Thanks...

you've checked the fluid level of your tranny?

How does the car start from a stop? (good, hestitation, etc.?)
Anything else out of whack?

based on that and my knowledge of a-trannys I would think its probably something electrical. sadly that means that the dealership may look for a second and not find anything right away so they tel you "Well, sir, we didn't find any problems within our inspection, if it happens again please let us know..."
I dunno what to say... sorry.

in the end this basically amounts to a free <bump>

I think you just hit the trigger point where the gas is off and on at that very moment, so the engine is at the edge of 'cut off' and accelerating. It seems that our engines have a "notchy" transition between "off" and "on".

hmm i say, if u are worried, just take it in, but i have not had a problem like this b4. i say take it in and get it checked if its still under warranty - chris

If you have the shiftronic AT, why don't you just switch to "manual" and downshift and leave it that way? And when you're done going so slow and want to get on the gas and let the tranny do its own work, shift it back to the drive gear.

If you don't have the shiftronic... If there's a 3 option below the D, shift it to that one. Otherwise... go faster!

LZ

my 2003.5 P5 (less than 5k miles at the time) did this exact same thing once while driving home. Sounds about like the same circumstances, ~30mph in controlled traffic on a very smooth road and all the sudden it started shuddering, scared the s*** out of me. I took it to the dealer within 2-3 days and I got the response PhreakMP5 states, 'We could not replicate the problem and the ECM for the gearbox had no codes stored'. It hasn't happened again since so I am not sweating it. But it is worth a try to get it to the dealer? better safe than sorry?

Latest posts

Back