Can someone tell me how to hook up a remote wire?

hawaiiannights

Contributor
:
2003 Matsuda Familia
I'm not too savvy on electronics just know some basics.....but how do I install a remote wire so that an amp / deck powers on and off with the ignition? Thanks

Oh and its not for my Pro5...so just a basic generic explanation would be great! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
from the blue wire on your aftermarket headunit, run a wire back to the remote spot on your amp, that way it will turn on and off with the radio
or just wire the remote thing on the amp to any 12 volt + source that turns on when the ignition is set to run, like on a japanese car the cig-ligher turns on and off with the car (american cars it stays on 24/7)

Thanks, this helps a little. Actually let me explain....

I have another car (its a piece of s*** that somebody gave to me for free)....anway.... it has some kind of generic aftermarket stereo and aftermarket amp under the seat. Apparently who ever the Mickey Mouse was that hooked it up did not know what he was doing so the stereo does not turn off with the car and remains on draining the battery even when you pull the key out.

The amp is hooked up to the deck so when you press the power on the deck it automatically turns on the amp. The only thing is I got to manually turn off the deck every time I stop the car so figured something is not hooked up right with the remote wire.

i'm gonna pull it out this weekend so I should look for a blue colored wire? I think attaching it to the cig lighter might be a good idea......

You have tho hook up the ignition wire from the original wire harness to the HU, it's usually red.

What JAC said, there should be 2 power wires on the deck, yellow and red. The yellow should go to constant 12V (ie the battery) and the red goes to a switched 12V source (ie something controlled by the ignition switch). My guess is that both the yel and red wires are tied together and running to the same place.

There should be these connections in the stock wiring harness, if there is still such a thing in your car.

Good luck!

Its not an older VW isa it? Damn things radios work with no key while off.

But Jac and John are right.
It sounds like the radio is connected to the constant power circuit for what shoulod be switched power. Switched is red, constant is yellow.

Was the radio even installed with a harness adapter or just cut?

just splice it into the switched power wire. splicing is when you strip a part of the wire without cutting the strands and soldering (or twisting if you like to be ghetto) the new wire onto the old.

Thanks for the advice guys, actually I haven't had a chance to pull the stereo and look yet so will probaly do that tomorrow. Its not a VW by the way..... i'll just use one of those tap pinch things and hook it up to the cig lighter or something...I have somee electrical tools so will play around and see based on a print out of you guys tips!! You guys are the best! Thanks again!!

Don't use T taps they are friggen horrible and royaly useless. All you have to do is hook it up to the correct wire in the same harness all the other radio wires are in. Don't use the cigerette lighter either, its probably more complex to do that then it needs be. Its likely a wireing mistake and no big deal.

Hmmmm.......... ok can you guys just come over to my house tomorrow and show me? lunch will be on me! hehe.....

Back