Airbag mber led on/airbag red led blinking

lhka

:
Protege5
Airbag mber led on/airbag red led blinking

Hi All

My protege5 airbag led has started blinking.

The Amber airbag led is on, and the red airbag led is blinking.

The red airbag led's blinking signal, tells what causes the error, and where to look for the error. (might be a relay, a switch or perhabs a connection to one of the 4 airbags.

Does anyone know the different signals, and the error they represent ?

please explain :eek:)

Thanks in advance

Lars (Denmark)

i took out my stock seatbelts and my airbag light now blinks on and off every 15 seconds or so, not sure if that helps lol

ya i have the same problem since i took out my stock seatbelts also. any clue how to stop it? i am thinking it the wires on the retractor assembly either need to be grounded or connected.

Just returned, from a visit at the Mazda dealer. I told him that the red airbag led, was blinking 4 long blink, short stop, 8 fast blinks. this can be translated to "error 48", we went to the shop manual, followed the steps.
1. check fuse (been there ..... dont need a manual for that one)
2. check wires & connectors under passenger seat
3. change a sensor, that sense if there is passenger in the passenger seat. ("dont blow up airbag if no passenger in seat sensor" (activate if above 12Kg on seat))

It seems that i need a new sensor, i was told that the price is about 400-500$, i will try to fix this with out the dealer, this seems to be to much for a simpel "load cell" type sensor. Proberly just a resistor glued to some metal. (might be difficult to make in a garage though !!!)

If anybody have a PDF of the shop manual, i would like a copy, this could have saved me a drive to the dealer.

Any other help will be aprisiated as well

After work today i will check all wire a connectors to the sensor, could easely be the the problem, and not the sensor.

/Lars (Denmark)

the sensors under the seat are probally why my airbag light is on then since they are disconnected

lars,
won't your dealer fix it no cost?? how old is your car??

joka,
does your seatbelt light come on as well??

I've removed the passenger seat and never noticed any sensors/wires underneath. The only wires that I have found are for the seatbelt switch under the driver seat. I will check the workshop manual tonight.

Jason

jason,
i think its dependant on the airbag setup you have

also what year model i think.... i know mine had no load sensors for passenger/drivers airbags - only a seatbelt warning lamp with that damn annoying chime!!!!

no, i dont have a seatbelt light.... i just noticed my aribag light does 1 long flash 1 short flash then a few seconds later it does one long flash and 2 short flashes.... any clue what that means?

I fixed it after work today :) (the car from january 2000, and out of warrenty (3 years i Denmark)) no seat belt light was on.

Had to remove the passenger seat, disconnect cable for passenger airbag sensor, and another cable that might be for the seat belt, i am not sure !
To my fortune i found at bad connection in the cable, that was easy to fix.
The sensor is a small white box made by Siemens i Germany for Mazda, this box is connected to a plastic coated cobber net, much like at flat cable that is use in most electronics(but not like at ide/scsi cable in a pc, it clear/transparant and much wider). The sensor was a little hard to get to, had to remove the seat top fabric, to get to the sensor, located in the seat foam, the plastic net is glued to the top of the foam, covered with at thin layer of foam.

When I visited the dealer, there was many error codes listed in the airbag section of the shop manual, but as far as i could read from behind his back, a long blink is a 10 (2 blink =20), then a short stop, and the some fast blinks = 1 (2 blink =2), together this = 22, that translates to error 22 that can be found in the shop manual. After this there is about 10-15 sekunds break, then it is repeated again.

Changed to winter tires as well, frost on the front window this morning !

/Lars

Back