external or internal HD

huh...when attempting to use the work arounds that they suggest, it gets all hairy and just doesn't want to go...I'll keep plugging away until I figure it out.

I love how in the manuals they refer you to the help disk provided on problems with booting your computer...how can you look at it if you can't get your computer running :D

I'm following seagates instructions to a T and its getting me nowhere when it comes to making the new drive the primary master.

Last edited:
what i would do is just keep all your stuff on your old drive first. . . .format the seagate as a primary already and do a fresh install of windows on your new drive. . .then when that is finished. . you should be able to just copy all your files that you want over. . . .all proggies and whatnot need to be reinstalled

proggies being programs? :)

Would I be able to retain MS office stuff? remember, I got this cpu for free, so software is MIA :(

heh..... if you want good advice, read my post.... and read it good.

first off, dont buy anything from compusa, prices are deceiving their, the rebates take FOREVER, and if your product broke, ur not getting it replaced. TRUST me. they suck when it comes to customer service. their tech support is good, but thats one of their bigger money makers, that and being one of the only companies that fully support mac's. if you want a good drive from a good companie, go here: www.newegg.com , their based out of california, they ship to usa only. ive been ordering things from them since 1997, back when they were called www.egghead.com . great companie. ive built about 10-15 computers all parts from newegg, not one hard drive died out of any of those computers. another tip is to stay away from crappy companies, like maxtor/ibm (yes ibm hd's SUCK) and samsung. buy western digital, or seagate. its worth the extra $5-$10.

Externals are going to cost a crapload more then internals just cause their mobile and a breeze to install. if i were you, i would install the extra hard drive as a slave and just leave your c drive alone. if space is an issue on your current hard drive, move all your mp3s/videos/ non-installed applications to your extra hard drive. i currently have 4 hard drives in my pc, 3 western digitrals, and one seagat, total of about 220 gigis. ive had the 3 western digitals for 3 years, not one of them have given me problems. another recommendation i can make is, learn to partition your drive. doing that saves a lot of heartache. if your going to take out your current hard drive and start fresh with this new one, partition it so that you have primary and extended. primary for windows, extended for data storage. that way you can always format the c parition if it came down to that, cause windows isnt perfect. compusa isnt bad if its a " i NEED something RIGHT now " situation. but if you want to save money and get great service, buy from newegg.com , if you order anything, you usually get it in 2 days from fedex. and all warranty's apply to their products just like things would if you bought it from compusa or best buy. and if you do indeed want a retail box/software with your hard drive, dont buy the OEM, OEM only gives you the hard drive, nothing else. save money dude, research the options, make sure you dont erase your important shiz. externals are crap btw. just my .02, look at my avatar and smile, cause you know you want to.

i know neweg is awesome. . .ive been using them for everything except for this one HDD that i just bought... .cause the price is still good. . ..neweggs rma policy is awesome. . .i bought a CF card once and like 9 mos later it broke so i RMA'd it and they gave me a full refund back to my CC. .that wass cool as hell. . .by that time the price of a CF card had dropped to like half my original cost. ..there is no arguing that newegg is awesome. . .but the price for the compusa seagate is good. . and if you buy their tap (i opted not to because this seagate still carries 3 year warrantee) they will exchange product right on spot when it becomes defective

Seagate 120GB 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A

-Comp USA $59.99
-newegg.com $96
CompUSA's rebates have always made their way back to me; I have no problem waiting to save $$.

I did my research :) thanks for your help/advise though. I agree that CompUSA's prices are lousy, and you can get more for less elsewhere. I learned my lesson there with memory upgrades; but this deal was really good.

i dont blame ya, id much rather pay that. but im one of those guys who doesnt go back to stores if im treated bad or had a bad experience with a product. i had bought a power supply from them out of desperation for a friend, and it died in 5 hours. they said i intentionally broke it and did not refund my friend his money. all they offered was instore credit. was complete bulls***, i hate compusa and their crazy prices. newegg 4 life!

oh yeah, newegg will randomly have CRAZY deals too. i got a 160 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7rpm drive for $115 with free shipping, and of course, no tax. thats why i have 220 gigs now. heh

that's a great deal! I'll definitely keep that site marked...

Back