roof racks

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
i'm looking into buy a multisport roof rack system really soon and was wondering what everyone else is using on their pro5s

i'm looking at a yakima with the Q clips and bars and all, but does anyone know if there are horizontal and vertical Mighty Mounts that fit the stock rack? does anyone know the number? any complaints on about the mighty mounts? i want to carry bikes and kayaks, which i think i can do with the mighty mounts

does anyone have any complaints about fork mounts vs tray mounts for the bike attachments, i'm thinking of going with a fork mount.

I use the Yakima system, however I dont have the stock rack. I am using the viper system wich is fork mount and the bikes are incredibly stable. I can put them up and shake the bike, and the car moves too.

Here is a pic....

bikeandcar.jpg

damn now i cant decide... i got a deal for the oem racks.. but can anyone tell me if the horizontal bars can be moved closer or further apart??

the factory bars don't move, they're placed 33 inches apart.

the advantage of the yakima's or thule's is that they will adapt to the various cars you will own. when you get a new car, or just want to switch the rack over for a week, you just need to spend 30 dollars for 4 news clips and the towers, bars, and attachments move with it.

but if you were to use the "mighty mounts" from yakima, they're practically the same price as a set of clips. but now you face the problem of the mounts fitting a very few factory racks, and the more you want on top of the car, the more mounts you need.

it's a terrible neverending circle of debate...it keeps me awake for hours at night

i got yakima big powderhound ski rack. i saw some local advertizements for $69 for them.

mightymounts 10v i think are the ones that fit. try a search. if you cant find anything PM me and ill go take a look to make sure which mightymounts work.

wait i think its 12v :D

like i said, search around for the big thread we had on the topic a long time ago.

HOLD UP! if i got a yakima system with Q Towers and take off the stock cross bars, do the Q towers fit into the existing roof rack rails, cuz i sure as hell don't want the q towers coming out of my doors. this could be revolutionary in my decision!

Well to answer my own question (for the two people who are reading this) there is no yakima horizontal mighty mount for the stock pro5 bars. there is also no way to mount q towers to the factory rails.

according to some previous threads, 14H mighty mounts fit, but aren't made for the pro5.

looks like i'm moving on to a thule rack

i called yakima customer service and the guy told me there were no horizontal mighty mounts for the car....vertical mounts, which are what you're using uclap, may exist, i didn't check. to mount bike trays i need horizontal mounts....so far thule's looking good

I've had my full Yakima system w/ 2 steelheads for 2+ years with minimal problems. Problem 1: If you leave it on constantly like me you might have some marks where the rubber footpads sit. Problem 2: In hot/humid climates like where I live, the rubber footpads deteriorate over time. New rubber pads being sent courtesy of Yakima as I am typing. Problem 3: PRICE. My setup cost $450-$500 for towers, bars, locks, trays, fairing and Q clips.

Latest posts

Back